Author Topic: But you could have had a SIG MPX!  (Read 11561 times)

Offline DDNC

Re: But you could have had a SIG MPX!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
Can you PM me some details about your twins? (I think it's time to revisit this idea)
PM sent

Offline dugstruble

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 11:35:46 PM »
I had a Getz Firearms MP5. One of the best clones out there. I sold it though after owning the CZ Scorpion for a while. Why? God where do I begin. First and foremost, the MP5 doesn't feed hollow point ammo worth a crap. There is no feed ramp. I am not in the military and not bound by FMJ ammo only. Plus it is fickle on some grains. Second, the ergonomics, picatinny rails, etc on the Scorpion takes it into the new century. Yeah the trigger was 10.5 lbs, but I fixed that by compressing the trigger spring with a pair of pliers. Brought it down to about 7 lbs.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:54:48 PM by dugstruble »

Offline kanewtervalve

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 07:23:57 AM »
Someone showed and overlay of the MPX and EVO, not much of a difference size, form and function, SBR an AR15 9mm and you have an MPX.

Offline fordemti

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »
I bought an MPx. It sucked. I'd rather have my Scorpion or a 9mm AR. It malfunctioned on the first magazine. With quality 124gr ammo. Sold it. POS. IMHO.

Offline dugstruble

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
No kidding. That's horrible. I know there have been lots of problems with AR's chamber in pistol calibers, but thought with all the time Sig spent on this they would have ironed it out. Maybe you just got a lemon? I like the MPX simply for the fact that it's all metal, but it weighs just as much as a full size carbine; 7 lbs. Crazy.

Offline fordemti

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
I don't think so. It's an over complicated system. There is no need for all that bolt locking and stuff in a gun that will run quite sufficiently in a direct blowback system. As evidenced by the Scorpion. I've put 1000 rounds through two different Scorpions and never had a failure. They just work. IMO, the MPx is a gimmick gun. MP5's are great but still blowback guns. I understand they are roller delayed. But in the end, they're still just blowback guns. I had a Colt 6450 9mm AR. Worked perfect as long as you used a decent mag. Promags sucked. Metalforms worked perfect as did the Colt mags. I just see no reason to do what they did with the MPx. And recoil was not greatly reduced. Nothing felt any better on the MPx. Except the safety. But I dremeled my Scorpions safety so even that isn't that great.

Offline dugstruble

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
lol That is good to know cause I was considering getting one. But after modifying the spring on my trigger and getting it down to 7 lbs, I am pretty happy. Still would be nice to have Geissele develop a trigger pack, but they said they had no plans on working on one as of now.

Offline Evermore

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »
Ouch!

Evermore  8)

Offline RSR

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »
I don't think so. It's an over complicated system. There is no need for all that bolt locking and stuff in a gun that will run quite sufficiently in a direct blowback system. As evidenced by the Scorpion. I've put 1000 rounds through two different Scorpions and never had a failure. They just work. IMO, the MPx is a gimmick gun. MP5's are great but still blowback guns. I understand they are roller delayed. But in the end, they're still just blowback guns. I had a Colt 6450 9mm AR. Worked perfect as long as you used a decent mag. Promags sucked. Metalforms worked perfect as did the Colt mags. I just see no reason to do what they did with the MPx. And recoil was not greatly reduced. Nothing felt any better on the MPx. Except the safety. But I dremeled my Scorpions safety so even that isn't that great.

Looked at the mpx -- it's essentially an AR18 design.  Can't imagine, much if any benefit from noise/sound on a blowback vs piston...  If anything, I'd think keeping that extra gas in the receiver would reduce downrange signature vs piston where you put gas and flash (both visible and infrared) flash out at gas block and receiver...

I really don't get the mpx...  9mm ARs share same muscle memory, and unlike 5.56 where a 2 round burst is better, the 3 round burst is spot on from what I see on videos (don't have any select fires myself). 

This video might be helpful:

Offline RCBS

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »
Store where I bought my Evo had both it and the MPX sitting on the shelf together.  I thoroughly fondled both of them before deciding on the Evo.  The Sig is nice, build quality seems pretty good.  While the AR controls are familiar, they almost seemed complicated compared to the Evo.  Paid a little under $800.  Would have needed almost $600 additional dollars to purchase the MPX.  The savings there alone paid for my AAC Tirant and stamp.  Now the flip side is that the Sig doesn't need 922r parts...which including stamp for Evo will run $400, where the Sig only needs a stamp.  Figure in magazine prices at 3:1 and the Scorpion comes away as a more economical choice.  Is the Sigs performance worth the extra cash?  Not to me, plus I like the Evos looks more.  No regrets thusfar.

Offline dugstruble

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »
I have had the Scorpion since February and love it. I actually sold off my MP5 clone I liked it so much. MP5s and clones are nice if you get a good one, but they have some issues. The only like FMJ ammo, as they have no feed ramp. Even then they are sometimes fickle with brands and what not. The Scorpion, in my opinion, brought the concept into the new century. HOWEVER there are some things that still bug me about the Scorpion a bit. The heavy trigger for one. Cajun Gun Works is working on a spring kit for that, though. Second is the blow back system with a heavy ass bolt. Sorta like the Beretta CX4. Every time it slams back I drift slightly off target. Lastly is the short charging handle. Everything else I just love. With that being said, I am picking up a MPX today so I'll have both. It ain't perfect either, though. I have never liked the AR-15 style charging handle even though I own an AR-15. Who doesn't, right! But being 2 pounds heavier and no big ass bolt coming back, I am sure it will stay on target easier. That said it weighs 7 lbs. That's as much as some full size carbines. Crazy!

Offline Airacuda

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
My friend bought an Evo the weekend they came out. Trigger was heavy and I complained. He put on a folder with the Blade brace a Holosun 2 moa dot and after a couple hundred rounds the trigger is probably 5.5 lbs by my trigger finger scale. He wanted something new so I scarfed it off of him with a case and 10 30 rnd mags for the price of a new one.
  I don't even want to shoot my rifles anymore, just take me to the steel gallery and let me play some tunes.

Offline dugstruble

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
lol That's awesome. How did he get it down to 5.5 lbs? It's over 10 pounds originally.

Offline Airacuda

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
Did not do anything. It just got better with rounds thru it. I planned to smooth it out a bit but no need now.

Baron Von Doom

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »
Did not do anything. It just got better with rounds thru it. I planned to smooth it out a bit but no need now.

About how many rounds do think you guys have put through it off hand? Mine has gotten better but it's still far from good. Probably has the worst trigger I've ever felt.

anything