Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and Thugly...  (Read 1508 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
The Good, the Bad, and Thugly...
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »

Went out to the local range to work off some tension. Took my CZ 527M CSR 7.62x39mm carbine and Thugly the steel target with me. The good thing happened when I got on the line, There was only one other guy out there, a young gentleman with his very first ever handgun, a Springfield XD compact, shooting it for the very first time. He only had one of the stick-in-the-dirt style target stands, and he had absolutely no luck driving it into the hard packed ground on the 300 yard line. He was looking pretty discouraged when I told him I was there to solve his problem, went back to the People Hauler and took out the spare target frame and stand I somehow almost always have with me. Made the kids day, and he did very well for a beginner, keeping everything inside a 12 inch circle at 10 yards. Then came the bad. After he left, I set Thugly at 150 yards, and began tossing rounds from the kneeling position. The 155 and 160 grain slugs had no problem, but the lighter 129 grain slugs had difficulty battering through the stiff cross wind. One managed to hit Thug's left chain, which you can see below. Right in the connection, as it were. I was done.

The carbine did wonderful, but I am going to need to change that magazine spring, it's finally starting to wear out.

Then came the stupid. I kid showed up to set up next to me, and his target was...a bright red painted GAS CYLINDER with multiple bullet scars on it.  i asked if he was seriously going to use that as a target and he got VERY defensive, "It's just steel, and it's for scuba diving!" Yeah, right - oxygen tanks are GREEN...red generally indicates FLAMMABLE gasses, and many tanks are never empty. It still had a regulator on it! He packed up and moved to another line, and I packed up and BOOGIED!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: The Good, the Bad, and Thugly...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
And then, later that day....
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline ocny17

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:19:30 PM »
Ugh. Let's hope it wasn't even partially filled. I've seen diving tanks filled as low as a few hundred psi which was considered empty -- that's still enough to send it flying through a wall if it ruptures.

Offline puddintame

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
that's a sweet looking rifle. very slick. my does not allow any kind of crap like that idiot was trying to do. pistol range is paper only. or you can go up top to set up steel targets. did have a guy about a month ago bring a full auto glock that he had never shot before. he emptied the mag in about 1 second all over the ground in front of him. got a bunch of dirty looks and left. I went over to where he was shooting and there was blood all over the ground. that thing chewed up his hand pretty good O0

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:42:22 AM »
Well i am glad to hear that you were able to rescue the first guy, i am also glad to hear that you escaped the second....

In the future, if you need to clear the line, just strike this pose.  ;D
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:47:42 PM »
That looks even weirder when you post it upside down...If I need to completely clear the line, I just fart. :D
puddintame, yikes. Full auto pistols are a waste, too uncontrollable - even the Beretta 93R has a fold down fore grip and only does three round burst.
BTW, that's my CZ 527M with the custom stock from LAGS Custom Gunsmithing, with spare mag holder in the butt. It's light and very comfortable.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:50:52 PM by armoredman »

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »
You guys are killing me!!  That's more entertainment than I deserve on a Saturday afternoon!!!

Thanks,
Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Christophorus

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »
what a graceful pose; perfect posture, lol
CZ 75B Ω, 9mm
vz 82, 9mm makarov
CMP Service Grade M1 Garand, .30-06, mfg 1944

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 03:29:16 PM »
I wanted to see how hard it was to accurately shoot upside down, and it was easier than i thought. BUT, all the debris the hat brim normally caught went into my eyes...Learning experience.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Sounds like another good day at the Range, even though Thugly's mounting caught a round.
Anything that lives in front of the muzzle of a firearm has a hard life!
The stock on that Cz527 is so gorgeous!!!  8)
As for shooting upside down, at least finding your Brass may have been easier.

Good Call on leaving the area before that tank got punctured!  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:00:54 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline coolbox

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:38:07 AM »
Indeed you had a good day. Even when you left the range..

Its time you tried a new pose. Like back towards the target, and shooting between the legs while bent over? Too bad I cant flex as much. And would probably need help getting back up straight..
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 09:21:35 PM »
coolbox, 50 is just a stones toss away, so flexibility like that is a thing of the past. I'd sound like Rice Crispies..."snap, crackle, pop!"

anything