Author Topic: Interchangable barrels on the 455's  (Read 2743 times)

Offline gryphon

Interchangable barrels on the 455's
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
After much deliberation and looking at countless rifles by Ruger, Marlin, and Savage, I have decided that the ones which appeal to me the most are the CZ's. Primarily the Lux's but I would not object to an American depending on the answers to my barrel swap questions. First a couple of general questions. Has the system proven to work reliably? Do they need to be re-zeroed after a barrel swap. Do they tend to loosen up over time and multiple barrel swaps? Does accuracy suffer with the changable barrels. I am not a long range shooter but I would expect my rifle to perform well at least out to 50 yards with the LR barrel and out to 100 yards with either 22wmr or 17hmr. Lastly (at least for now) Is the barrel taper the same for the Lux and the American. Could a Lux barrel be used on an American if iron sights were a requirement? Thanks

Online viking499

Re: Interchangable barrels on the 455's
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
After much deliberation and looking at countless rifles by Ruger, Marlin, and Savage, I have decided that the ones which appeal to me the most are the CZ's. Primarily the Lux's but I would not object to an American depending on the answers to my barrel swap questions. First a couple of general questions. Has the system proven to work reliably? Do they need to be re-zeroed after a barrel swap. Do they tend to loosen up over time and multiple barrel swaps? Does accuracy suffer with the changable barrels. I am not a long range shooter but I would expect my rifle to perform well at least out to 50 yards with the LR barrel and out to 100 yards with either 22wmr or 17hmr. Lastly (at least for now) Is the barrel taper the same for the Lux and the American. Could a Lux barrel be used on an American if iron sights were a requirement? Thanks

Yes
Probably
Should not loosen
Accuracy should not suffer
Not sure about the taper

Offline painter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Definitely need to re-sight between calibers. Ballistics are completely different.

All barrels will fit on all actions.

If you have a narrow barrelled rifle a heavy varmint barrel might not fit in the stock channel.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 01:47:34 PM »
Thanks for the answers. With regards to re-zeroing I was thinking about the Lux barrels which have open sights. If a barrel is sighted in with the iron sights but the zero changes if the barrel is removed and then re-installed it would seem to me anyway that it would be an indication that there was a certain amount of play between the action and barrel.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
I'm not concerned with the heavy varmint barrels but what about the American and the Lux. Are their outer dimensions the same. Will they interchange?

Offline Ruber

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
In general, if you are careful, if you use a good torque driver, you should not need to re zero your lux iron sights after a swap.  I switch between 22wmr and lr without re zeroing and it is fine within the limitations of the sights themselves.

If I were using target sights or scopes and trying to get the best accuracy for competitions, I probably wouldn't be swapping anyway

Within minute of squirrel, you should be good without needing to re zero..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline painter

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
I'm not concerned with the heavy varmint barrels but what about the American and the Lux. Are their outer dimensions the same. Will they interchange?
I believe they will.

but not the ability.

Online viking499

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
I believe they will.

My only concern would be the Trainer barrel going into the American stock.  The rear sight on the Trainer am cause an issue.

Offline painter

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 04:16:10 PM »
I believe they will.

My only concern would be the Trainer barrel going into the American stock.  The rear sight on the Trainer am cause an issue.
The trainer has different sights that the Lux. Is he going to get a Lux barrel or a Trainer barrel? It would make more sense to get a Trainer for the tangent sights, and then put any barrel you want.

Thanks for the answers. With regards to re-zeroing I was thinking about the Lux barrels which have open sights. If a barrel is sighted in with the iron sights but the zero changes if the barrel is removed and then re-installed it would seem to me anyway that it would be an indication that there was a certain amount of play between the action and barrel.
You were talking about Americans too. I was assuming you were talking about scopes and different calibers. A sighted barrel should return very close to zero if you mount the barrel and torque the screws the same each time.

but not the ability.

Online viking499

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
I believe they will.

The trainer has different sights that the Lux. Is he going to get a Lux barrel or a Trainer barrel? It would make more sense to get a Trainer for the tangent sights, and then put any barrel you want.

You were talking about Americans too. I was assuming you were talking about scopes and different calibers. A sighted barrel should return very close to zero if you mount the barrel and torque the screws the same each time.

I thought all barrels were switching to the tangent sights?  Maybe not.

The tangents are the best factory sights out there.

Offline painter

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
The only barrels that have the tangent in the 455 line up are the Trainer and the Ultra Lux.

The Lux II, not yet available here, has the tangent sights. It also has the Schnable forend that they did away with on the 455 Lux so it appears CZ listened to the faithful.

Not sure when the Lux II will be available in the US.

but not the ability.

Offline gryphon

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:23:42 PM »
Okay so I'm sure I'm reading too much into this but, are you guys saying that the tangent sight from the trainer will work on the Lux barrels and that the Lux barrels can be installed in the 455 Trainer?

Online viking499

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
Okay so I'm sure I'm reading too much into this but, are you guys saying that the tangent sight from the trainer will work on the Lux barrels and that the Lux barrels can be installed in the 455 Trainer?

On the 455's, any barrel will fit the action.  The actions are the same.  The stock will determine if you can use it or not. 

Offline gryphon

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
I guess that's what I'm asking is if the stock on the trainer will accommodate a Lux barrel. I like the Turkish walnut used on the Lux but I've always like the looks of the Trainer stock.

Online viking499

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
I guess that's what I'm asking is if the stock on the trainer will accommodate a Lux barrel. I like the Turkish walnut used on the Lux but I've always like the looks of the Trainer stock.

Yes, it should.