Author Topic: CZ Scorpion info that hasn?t been covered.  (Read 13842 times)

Offline earlan357

CZ Scorpion info that hasn?t been covered.
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »
Hello everyone.  New member and first time CZ Owner here.
I got my Scorpion Evo pistol yesterday.  I shot 200 rounds of Speer 147gn TMJ with no issues and gave it a good cleaning when I got home.  Nothing to report that hasn?t already been said.  However, I thought we should start a thread with all of stuff that hasn?t yet been discussed in Video, Forum, or Blog reviews. I?ll start.

?   All the allen screws are metric and require a 3mm allen wrench, except for the handstop which is 2.5mm, the ejector retaining screw which is 2mm, and the safety which is 1.5mm.  Not a surprise considering it?s a European gun.
?   After doing the ambi-safety delete, there is a corner molded into the side of the receiver that my trigger finger hits when indexed (finger straight) on the frame.  Whenever I?m doing anything other than pulling the trigger, it digs into the top of my finger.
?   The thumb safety is stiff, about 3 times more than a mil-spec AR.
?   Silencerco?s fixed 18x1 adapter for the Octane Suppressor doesn?t require removing the metal retaining tab that normally holds the flash suppressor in place, but it will scratch the finish.
?   The non-reciprocating charging handle doesn?t slide back and forth when the bolt is locked to the rear.  There is a wire spring detent that keeps it in the forward position.  About a 2 lbs of pressure is enough to release it.
?   No worry about accidentally locking the charging handle up in the heat of the moment.  You naturally pull it back and down unless you try to pull it underhand (not recommended) and you have to deliberately pull up to lock it.
?   The ?HK Slap? is addictive!
?   The trigger is heavy, about 8 lbs of take-up and 4 additional lbs through the break.  Reminds me a lot of a very heavy Glock trigger.  I think the main culprit is the heavy trigger return spring.
?   On the bottom of the bolt there is a firing pin safety that is disengaged by pulling the trigger like pretty much every auto pistol.
?   With the hammer down, pulling the bolt to the rear is easier with the trigger pulled to the rear.  If you pull back the charging handle with the trigger released, there is what feels like an additional 10lbs of effort in the beginning of the stroke.  It's caused by the hammer camming over the sear hooks.  It's much more noticeable in the Evo due to the heavy trigger return spring.  I am NOT recommending pulling the trigger to work the bolt, it?s just an observation.
?   Like the HK UMP, the bolt has a cutout that can be used as a forward assist.
?   With a Magpul AFG and a c-clamp grip, I noticed a tendency of my support thumb to slide forward, almost on top of the flash suppressor. I prefer the classic MP5 magwwell grip.
?   The magazines fly out with the bolt closed, (20 rounders will spring clear of the magwell when the gun is turned fully upside down)
?   When the bolt is locked open, both my 20 and 30 rounders can be a little slow to drop unless I get a solid press of the mag release probably due to the texturing of the plastic. (Reminds me of my Glock again) 
?   I wear size large Mechanix gloves but it?s still a bit of a reach for me to the mag release.  I have to press forward on the bottom portion of the lever to get a positive release.
?   The mags fit great in my HSGI Pistol (Non-Extended) Tacos.  It?s awkward to get them in, but the retention is great.
?   The 30 round mags are the same length as a 30 round 5.56 Pmag and the same width as the Pmags floorplate.
?   If the can see a single round peeking out of the left side of the mag well, you have 14 +1 rounds left.  13+1 if you see a round from the right side.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:05:02 AM by earlan357 »

Offline Border Dave

Re: CZ Scorpion info that hasn?t been covered.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
Wow!  That was thorough and enlightening.  Thanks for posting all that good info.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
Very nice first post sir, thank you! 8)

Offline ncgoober

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »
A lot of agreement with that list, especially the heavy trigger and the STIFF safety.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »
Since I keep mine "cruiser ready" I don't worry about the safety much. The trigger pull got some getting used to, but I think I can feel it smoothing out, even though I think I have only about 1000 rounds through it so far.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »
More observations after 250 more rounds:

?   I pinched the ends of the trigger return spring together to drop the pull weight.  The trigger now feels like an 8 lb mil-spec AR trigger.  Still not great, but not terrible either.  I did NOT touch the hammer spring, since it provides leverage against the bolt to keep the action closed.
?   Empty mags do NOT drop free when the bolt is locked on the bolt release.  The bolt puts pressure on the bolt release which rubs on the back of the mag body.  The mag will drop free with a little shake but it hangs just a bit.  If you pull back on the charging handle a hair while holding the mag release button, the mag slides right out.  I can see a shiny spot on the mag body where it's touching.
?   The "forward assist" cutout in the bolt is useless unless you have gorilla thumbs.  Fortunately, if you have a failure to seat caused by riding the charging handle,  pulling the bolt back an inch and releasing will seat the round behind the extractor.
?   Press checks are super easy.  You can use the front sight to brace your thumb and pinch the charging handle open.  You'll feel the bolt contact the hammer about 3/4" back.  At this point, you can see brass without danger of ejecting the round.  You can ride the bolt forward as slowly as you want since there is no locking mechanism to prevent the bolt from seating.
?   When simulating a double feed, after locking the charging handle to the rear, when you pull the magazine out, the top round tends to get stuck in a vertical stovepipe position.  Sometimes you can flick it out one-handed, sometimes not.
?   The Primary Arms MD-06 (Aimpoint T1 clone) gives a lower third co-witness to the irons.  The dot when centered in the tube is actually right on the top portion of the rear aperture.  You end up getting a blurry dot unless your shift your eyeline above or inside the aperture.
?   If you mount your optic too far forward, you'll probably smack it with your hand when working the charging handle.  I keep mine about 2/3 of the way back.
?   You can easily work the charging handle one-handed by pushing it against anything solid.(Edge of a table, chair, kydex, etc)  Not sure if it can handle this type of abuse on a regular basis, but the option is there, unlike the AR where you pinch the rifle between your legs and pull the charging handle.
?   With the Octane 45 HD Supressor and 147gn Speer TMJ, the Evo isn't much louder than my Glock 19 with the same setup.  You really hear the bolt reciprocating.  I only shot 50 rounds suppressed, but the gun didn't seem that much dirtier than when I ran the first 200 without the can.  Some extra blowback from the chamber, but it's still way cleaner than my AR.
?   I think a VFG would be better than the AFG on such a short gun, but I'll have to wait for my Form1 to try that.  922r parts and a stock can't come soon enough!
?   I used a file to slightly round off the tooth on the trigger housing that engages the ridges on the safety.  It's really easy to go to far and screw up your safety, but now it flicks on and off almost as easily as my AR. 
?   The "right side ambi-delete" from CZ  works on both sides.  There is a 2nd hole drilled for the setscrew to install it on the left side.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:33:41 AM by earlan357 »

Offline GA Jack

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
If you mount your optic too far forward

This all started after magnifiers came to be.  To mount the magnifier you had to move your RDS forward.

Somewhere along the lines people decided to mount their RDS forward without magnifiers. Its a horrible fad that needs to go away.  How it became normal is beyond me.  Here is mine;

Having it close to the eye makes it ALOT easier to shoot with both eyes open IMO.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:06:48 PM by GA Jack »

Offline Hammerdown3512

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
More observations after 250 more rounds:

?   I pinched the ends of the trigger return spring together to drop the pull weight.  The trigger now feels like an 8 lb mil-spec AR trigger.  Still not great, but not terrible either.  I did NOT touch the hammer spring, since it provides leverage against the bolt to keep the action closed.
?   Empty mags do NOT drop free when the bolt is locked on the bolt release.  The bolt puts pressure on the bolt release which rubs on the back of the mag body.  The mag will drop free with a little shake but it hangs just a bit.  If you pull back on the charging handle a hair while holding the mag release button, the mag slides right out.  I can see a shiny spot on the mag body where it's touching.
?   The "forward assist" cutout in the bolt is useless unless you have gorilla thumbs.  Fortunately, if you have a failure to seat caused by riding the charging handle,  pulling the bolt back an inch and releasing will seat the round behind the extractor.
?   Press checks are super easy.  You can use the front sight to brace your thumb and pinch the charging handle open.  You'll feel the bolt contact the hammer about 3/4" back.  At this point, you can see brass without danger of ejecting the round.  You can ride the bolt forward as slowly as you want since there is no locking mechanism to prevent the bolt from seating.
?   When simulating a double feed, after locking the charging handle to the rear, when you pull the magazine out, the top round tends to get stuck in a vertical stovepipe position.  Sometimes you can flick it out one-handed, sometimes not.
?   The Primary Arms MD-06 (Aimpoint T1 clone) gives a lower third co-witness to the irons.  The dot when centered in the tube is actually right on the top portion of the rear aperture.  You end up getting a blurry dot unless your shift your eyeline above or inside the aperture.
?   If you mount your optic too far forward, you'll probably smack it with your hand when working the charging handle.  I keep mine about 2/3 of the way back.
?   You can easily work the charging handle one-handed by pushing it against anything solid.(Edge of a table, chair, kydex, etc)  Not sure if it can handle this type of abuse on a regular basis, but the option is there, unlike the AR where you pinch the rifle between your legs and pull the charging handle.
?   With the Octane 45 HD Supressor and 147gn Speer TMJ, the Evo isn't much louder than my Glock 19 with the same setup.  You really hear the bolt reciprocating.  I only shot 50 rounds suppressed, but the gun didn't seem that much dirtier than when I ran the first 200 without the can.  Some extra blowback from the chamber, but it's still way cleaner than my AR.
?   I think a VFG would be better than the AFG on such a short gun, but I'll have to wait for my Form1 to try that.  922r parts and a stock can't come soon enough!
?   I used a file to slightly round off the tooth on the trigger housing that engages the ridges on the safety.  It's really easy to go to far and screw up your safety, but now it flicks on and off almost as easily as my AR. 
?   The "right side ambi-delete" from CZ  works on both sides.  There is a 2nd hole drilled for the setscrew to install it on the left side.

this post is worthless without a video of your EVO shooting 147 grain out of that Octane can.... :P

especially for me since i have the same Octane 45 can on order...  :D ...but wont get it for about 3 more months.  :(

and i even have stockpiled the same 147 gr speer ammo... :P

so.... about the video.... :P

Offline Border Dave

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »
I vote for a video, too.

Offline RSR

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:16:35 AM »
Great posts.  I think this deserves a sticky.  ;D

Regarding red dots, the closer to your eye you mount it, the more it interferes with your peripheral vision/field of view...  I push them towards the front of my upper receiver on ARs and to the rear of my handguards on VZs and AKs.  So ~8-10" from my eye.  And not as big of a problem with lighter weight microdots, but the full size aimpoints and the like, where you locate your optic also can substantially affect overall weapon balance.

Also, cowitnessing:

And perhaps the best red dot resource I've found: http://www.thenewrifleman.com/a-primer-on-ar15-optics-the-red-dot-sight/

Offline DDNC

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »
I have found the Eotech to be very well suited to the EVO. The FOV and the reticle picture is much larger than most standard RDs and co witnesses well with the HK sights. In the second pic the reticle is actually much much larger. The size of the front iron sight but appears smaller because it was taken so far away from where cheek weld would be.
(This is a registered SBR)

Offline fordemti

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »
I would like to add that the original 2014 Scorpions had the box with the A1 sticker on it. It also said designed by Laugo on the side. The 2015 does not have the extra sticker on the box and it no longer says designed by Laugo. Which I'm thankful for. I don't like Laugo. His name is dumb and I didn't want it on the side of my gun. Even if he designed a bad ass gun.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »

this post is worthless without a video of your EVO shooting 147 grain out of that Octane can.... :P

especially for me since i have the same Octane 45 can on order...  :D ...but wont get it for about 3 more months.  :(

and i even have stockpiled the same 147 gr speer ammo... :P

so.... about the video.... :P

Ahem...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmnqDXe2OX8&feature=youtu.be

Offline RSR

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 01:07:36 AM »
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 01:51:17 AM »
I have Luago's name on my gun...CZ likes to honor gun makers - the RAMI is parts of two names of the designers.