Author Topic: VZ2008 arrived  (Read 4395 times)

Offline USMCGrunt

Re: VZ2008 arrived
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 12:45:42 AM »
I got mine from PSA back around January this year.  However, I had to send it back to Century before firing it as it had a canted front sight.  I'm not sure if it could even be zeroed the way it was.  It came back and I took it out to the range and the gremlin popped up on round number 2.  >:(  If I jerked the trigger it would reset but a slow steady squeeze would fail to reset the trigger every time.  So, it was off to get the carrier tabbed.  Now she is zeroed in and running fine.  I've heard that the gremlin will pop up sooner or later but in my case, it was about as soon as it gets!  I highly advise is just get it tabbed and don't worry about gremlins popping up someday.

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 06:25:26 AM »
I got mine from PSA back around January this year.  However, I had to send it back to Century before firing it as it had a canted front sight.  I'm not sure if it could even be zeroed the way it was.  It came back and I took it out to the range and the gremlin popped up on round number 2.  >:(  If I jerked the trigger it would reset but a slow steady squeeze would fail to reset the trigger every time.  So, it was off to get the carrier tabbed.  Now she is zeroed in and running fine.  I've heard that the gremlin will pop up sooner or later but in my case, it was about as soon as it gets!  I highly advise is just get it tabbed and don't worry about gremlins popping up someday.

Omitting the last numbers, what is the serial number of your rifle?  I'm curious as I've read more Gremlin posts dated in the last month than in the previous two years.  I'm wondering if the rifles that had gone out recently from PSA were earlier ones, returned and reworked and put back in circulation.

Even if it is an earlier generation, it should be good to go.  Century fixed your sight and the tab dismissed the Gremlin.  Enjoy the rifle.

Offline USMCGrunt

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »
Mine is VZOSPM-0107XX.  Yeah, not that the bugs have been fixed it's been a pretty decent rifle.

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
That's certainly a more recent one.  Guess you just got a minor lemon, although it didn't take much to get it right.

I know people who have spent thousands on name guns just to return them repeatedly before they work the way they should.

Offline MixedBreed

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Mine is VZ08PM-0119XX......is that pretty recent, or an older one?

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »
Mixed,

What is 'pretty accurate" in terms of group size?

My CZ 58 shoots about 8 inch groups(patterns) but my barrel is .311.  All my ammo is .308 so the bullets rattle down the bore.  Plenty accurate for an assault rifle but, of course, I want more.

Offline MixedBreed

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
When I wasn't just blasting away, I managed 3-4 inch groups in clusters of 4-5 rounds at 50 yards.....no sight adjustments made throughout the day, as I was just wanting to test for function.That was shooting with the rifle rested on Caldwell bags.  I was shooting high right of my POA. I am pretty confident this rifle can do better than that, if I was being more disciplined. Is this a rarity?

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »
I think I recall CSA saying 4 inches at 100 meters.  That's OK for an assault rifle.

The CSA 58 uses a chrome barrel that is oversize as per my measurement and reports I have read.  I would think that a 2008 with a .308 bore Green Mountain barrel should do 1 MOA with commercial ammo.

I wonder that CSA measures the bore of their barrels.  I think it improbable that any gun that shot out the barrel would have any other parts worth having so they are most probably melted down long ago.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 07:55:43 AM »
I believe CSA says 1 man minute at 600 meters.
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline MixedBreed

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
Hey guys, I got my CNC Warrior Knurled muzzle brake in yesterday, and when I went to install it, it gets tight just short (1/4" or so) of the detent pin. When I back it up a turn to get the notch to align with the pin, it is very wobbly/loose. Should I try and wrench it the last 1/4"? Or is there some kind of spacer I should use, like a crush washer? Or do I try and drift the sight post back a bit?

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
I tightened mine with a round bar.  I don't need those pins.  On my first one I used a shim of soft brass.  That didn't last so then I ground the base of the brake till I got a good alignment.  I use the Slovak brake with great satisfaction.

Offline MixedBreed

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
I tightened mine with a round bar.  I don't need those pins.  On my first one I used a shim of soft brass.  That didn't last so then I ground the base of the brake till I got a good alignment.  I use the Slovak brake with great satisfaction.

So just file a little off the brake? With like a dremel tool?

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
No!  That won't get it flat.  Lay a piece of sand paper on a very flat surface and rub the end against the sandpaper in a figure eight pattern.  be sure to get it square and screw it on the barrel often to make sure it is true and square and "walk" it up to the "fit' position you want with it tightish and the holes properly oriented.

The distance/thickness of a single thread, not very far, will allow 360 degrees of rotation.

Offline MixedBreed

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
Thanks JohnEd, I am going to do that.

Offline RSR

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »
They were never intended to sit flat against the fsb.  Just screw on as close as you can while also hitting the detent.

anything