Author Topic: Primary Arms prism scope on vz2008  (Read 4483 times)

Offline tailgunner

Primary Arms prism scope on vz2008
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:36:13 AM »
I am a newbie on his forum and have learned alot about my vz2008 so my thanks to y'all.
My latest project is attaching a RS sidemount with a low mount ACOG base. I plan on attaching a PA prism scope 2,5X. Where I need help is how far foward of the dust cover can I mount scope before contacting spent brass? I know it's is not much but the ejector lies about an inch ahead of the cover so it would seems It could go a little further than the forward edge.
The bottom of the scope is only 1/2 in above cover, a real nice mount solution.
Any suggestions other than to experiment and risk damage to my new scope?
I need all the room I can get 'cause with the stock folded, the scope is vulnerable hanging over the
back of the receiver. A 1/2 inch foward would bring to a safer place.
I've searched the web for an answer with no luck. If this works out, it should be a popular solution
to a nagging problem.
Thanks alot for any help with this.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
Re: Primary Arms prism scope on vz2008
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:26:48 AM »
I am a newbie on his forum and have learned alot about my vz2008 so my thanks to y'all.
My latest project is attaching a RS sidemount with a low mount ACOG base. I plan on attaching a PA prism scope 2,5X. Where I need help is how far foward of the dust cover can I mount scope before contacting spent brass? I know it's is not much but the ejector lies about an inch ahead of the cover so it would seems It could go a little further than the forward edge.
The bottom of the scope is only 1/2 in above cover, a real nice mount solution.
I need all the room I can get 'cause with the stock folded, the scope is vulnerable hanging over the
back of the receiver. A 1/2 inch foward would bring to a safer place.
I've searched the web for an answer with no luck. If this works out, it should be a popular solution
to a nagging problem.
Thanks alot for any help with this.

Don't be so lazy! Search the forum, there are numerous posts on this topic (with pictures)

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=70511.msg494511#msg494511

the side mounting rail is milled/tapped and position is fixed
the RS Reg mount is adjustable
the scope position on the mount is adjustable
spent cases can spin up and back out of the breach
you have it correct, stay as far back in regards to the opening as possible/comfortable
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:08:17 AM by CitizenPete »
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline GS455

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »
I'm not using the 2.5 rather the new Primary Arms 4X Compact Prism Scope with 7.62X39/300BO BDC Reticle.  Same mount as you though.  Didn't spent too much time dialing in for super accuracy but after 4-5 mags I do not notice any impact marks on the scope.   I imagine the 2.5 will be smaller than this.  Perhaps these pics will be helpful.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:27:42 AM by GS455 »

Offline tailgunner

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:04:43 AM »
Excellent responce GS455!
The dust cover is not a true guide as I have found also, in spite of warnings elsewhere.
How do you like the combo overall, eye relief, etc?
That could be my next move and religate my 2.5x to my AR.
Thanks again!

Offline RSR

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
I don't have either of these PA optics.  I do plan to get the 4x and put it on my RPK.

IMO, the VZ58 is best as a carbine.  Carbines generally are sub 200 yard/meter guns.  In that role, a red dot will always be superior to a magnified optic -- I like microdots on my VZ58s. 

For the PA magnified optics, primarily due to weight, I'd personally only look at putting them on a heavier gun like an O-PAP or an RPK. 

YMMV, but food for thought on the role you want your weapon to fill and what role the platform you are working with is best suited for. 

Offline tailgunner

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:19:00 AM »
I admire your logic RSR, but in my case I don't wish to build different special purpose weapons but add versatility to the one I have. I mounted a T1 micro dot on my vz2008 carbine but with my eyes I definitely do not shoot within the capabilities of this rifle and a 4x will allow me to do much better than even my 2.5 PA scope...
The accuracy of my vz2008 with handloads is suprisingly good to the point this could be a 200 yd chuck rifle or capable of head shots from a bipod in spite of its light weight platform not being
ideal in this role..

Offline RSR

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 05:36:51 AM »
Yes, an accurized VZ58 is certainly an option, and yes -- I meant to add the vision caveat...

I have an AES 10B RPK that I got a great deal on, but I haven't really done much with yet...  Nevertheless, that's the 7.62x39 weapon in my collection that I intend to spend the time/money on accurizing... 

I think CitizenPete bought one of the PA sights and has the 7.62x39 ACOG, and I'm actually really looking forward to his take comparing those...

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »
I think CitizenPete bought one of the PA sights and has the 7.62x39 ACOG, and I'm actually really looking forward to his take comparing those...

RSR,
The PA 1x6 is the only optic I purchased, and currently that is zeroed on a Saiga SGL-21.  I intend to test it utilizing the Mag-wedge rail on a VZ2008 with the scope in the future. The PA1x6 scope worked well at 200-250-300 yards - glass is clear and ballistics reticle elevation was not off that much within 300 yards using Brown Bear JHP.   There are some oddities with the ACSS reticle at 50,100 to 200 yards using the top and bottom of the center dot for targeting at 100 -- don't know if the 4x optic is the same (prob not). But I need to spend more time with it with M67, which I consider a milspec 7.62x39 baseline. (Just need to be in the right state of mind to test M67, since I would be forced to wash the gun out afterward.)

Blue text and lines added by me:

The Trijicon ACOG also has ballistics up to 600 yards, however the bright (light/tritium) illuminated horse shoe and dot at 3x make this one of the premiere battle optics at 100-300, IMO. 

I am always surprised when I look through an unmagnified EO Tech optic, of how pixelated and holographic it is.  For me the ACOG is the way to go on a battle rifle - note about reticle color: while the green horseshoe is great, the reticle disappears with NV add-on scopes (green on green).  I took the green reticle ACOG off another rifle (SIG 556r - 7.62x39) for use on a Vz.58 and bought a new red reticle ACOG on for that rifle so I could adapt it with a low-end Gen2 ATN NV scope.

Long distance shooters and trainers balk at the ballistics reticles (as both the ACOG and the PA have) and they used developed charts from the cartridge manufacturers (or custom developed bullet drop charts) utilizing Mil dot or MOA reticles.  The PA 1x6 comes with a chart for a few manufacturers that match the reticle (only for 300AAC Ballistics), however it does not touch on the popular bulk Russian 7.62x39 steel case or surplus M43 or M67.  I believe that ballistics reticles could be utilized effectively on any specific rifle when tested thoroughly with a specific round(s) with proven consistency at 50,100,200,250 and 300 yards. Any deviation from the reticle hold over should be consistent and probably insignificant for minute of man within 300 yards anyway.

What ammo brands are referenced in the user manual for the 4x PA optic reticle? Same as PA 1x6 prob.

I have no budget or time for a 4x PA purchase and test currently. It should prove to be a great bargain optic if it is anything like the 1x6.   Most the the online reviews have been positive and several people including AK Operators Union 47-74 did successful freeze/torture tests on it.  So while it's still not an ACOG it should be more than sufficient for weekend battles at the range.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:11:14 PM by CitizenPete »
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

anything