Author Topic: Brick and mortar Gun dealer snobbery toward FFL03  (Read 5207 times)

Offline WCG

Brick and mortar Gun dealer snobbery toward FFL03
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
Well, I experienced it. It wasn't pretty.  :o

A major local dealer, "I don't have any use for C&R items, I have a real license."

Well, la di da.  I didn't say it, but guess what... That door kind of goes both ways. I have real money and it just went out the door forever.

Everyone in the C&R community has been a lot more fun than the "real" gun nuts of today, in my opinion. I am proud to be exclusively a C&R nut from now on.  ;D

Is there any kind of organization of C & R people?

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: Brick and mortar Gun dealer snobbery toward FFL03
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
Must be a local thing.  Some of us at our store are just as excited (maybe a little more) about C&R guns than new production.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
Love C&R stuff..
only thing I have had to do is you actually have to call ATF to verify a C&R license . wont do it on the EZ Check.

Offline spareparts

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:35:45 PM »
My interest in new, off the shelf handguns is virtually nil.  Except Ruger revolvers.  Can't have enough of those.  My P64 an P83 are definitely sparking a huge interest in me of old combloc handguns.  Feel like a  pokemon cartoon, "gotta catch 'em all!"

Offline czharry

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
I remember some vendor (can't recall the name), advertising in Shotgun News. Had some nice C&R type firearms too. The ad stated he does not honor C&R licenses and considers the holders as FFL Wannabes, will not sell to them.
What a jerk.
- There's a storm coming -

CZ 75B  .40S&W
CZ 75B  9mm
CZ 50     x2
VZ 24
CZ 52     x4  (WTS)

S. Fla.

Offline eastman

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »
The local Cabela's was reluctant to deal with the C&R when I bought my CZ50, but they did it. I think now they understand that if I can't buy the C&R applicable items under the license (and not having to return in 72 hours under DPRI law to pick it up), it is staying in the case and the money is staying in my pocket.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline WCG

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
C&R folks I have dealt with have brought back the fun and the history and the lore. I walk into local gun stores and I just don't get any of that.

Offline il.bill

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »

A major local dealer, "I don't have any use for C&R items, I have a real license."

Don't be shy - name names!  Let interested folks know just who that 'major local dealer' is!

Search the Google for "CRUFFLER"

Offline lklawson

• CBD Dayton
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:07:43 PM »

Of course he doesn't.  He loses money because you get it shipped to your home or you skip the FFL Transfer Fee, which is money in his pocket.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out ho

Offline WCG

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »

Of course he doesn't.  He loses money because you get it shipped to your home or you skip the FFL Transfer Fee, which is money in his pocket.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

There was an old couple in line ahead of me to whom he was giving transfer fee advice to for a weapon that most probably was C & R eligible. It was very old looking, maybe ww1 era. If I was more knowledgable I would have examined it a little closer.

Offline BillyBones

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
Gunboards is where a lot of us C&R's hang out, Cruffler.com hasn't been updated in years but is still online.
Swiss rifles is a great resource as well as 7.62.net, you"ll have to search as I can't provide the URLS right now.

Offline OldManMontgomery

• Job Description: 'Etc'
    • The Alternate Reality
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 03:57:45 PM »
I've bought one 'new' gun in the past several years.  I decided a new Ruger .22 long rifle auto pistol (the .22/45 polymer frame with aluminum upper) looked like it wanted to come home with me.  New guns bore me silly.

I have purchased a number of 'old' (no longer current production) pistols in the last ten years.  Mostly 'Art Deco' period .32 ACP or 7.65mm pistols.  I also have a deep appreciation for 'real' Smith & Wesson revolvers and Government Model/1911(a1) pistols without the Divinely cursed firing pin safety abomination.  And Ruger three screw single actions and the 'Six' series of revolvers. 

When I go into a new (to me) gun shop, I ask the location of the used or 'old' gun section.  If they tell me they only have 'new' guns, I smile sweetly (a relative term if one knows my appearance) and say, "Well, that leaves me out, then; thanks anyway."  and depart.  All the places that know me usually point me to any new 'old' acquisitions. 

There's a local place with a salesman who doesn't even speak, he just opens the case and pulls out what he expects me to like.  He's usually right. 

So far, I haven't invested in a C & R license, so I haven't had any dealings on that basis.  I do have a signed copy of a local FFL dealer who likes me.  Finding something out of state is not a serious difficulty.  Being an old man and be able to fake 'respectability' has value.
History is important.  Firearms ARE history.

MP2 Guy

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »

Don't be shy - name names!  Let interested folks know just who that 'major local dealer' is!.0

Search the Google for "CRUFFLER"
Yes please name names...

The $30 spent to get my C & R (FFL03) was one the best $30 I have ever spent.

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »
Another point - if you have your C&R FFL on file with Brownell's, they have discounts on most of the items they stock (EOTech Holographic sights are one of the exceptions). I've probably saved the $30 just on the Brownell's discount.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline bluedog46

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »
Sounds pretty bleep rude to me. I dont own any C&R pieces nor have the license, but I have shot some of them and they are pretty cool.