Author Topic: Check your loaded magazines for cracked lips.  (Read 4250 times)

Offline GA Jack

Check your loaded magazines for cracked lips.
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »
I am surprised this has not floated over here yet:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_48/446946_Scorpion_EVO_magazines_cracked_feed_lips___CZ_s_reply_and_moar_cracked_30_s_on_page_3_.html

They are replacing them under warranty, however - what no one knows is if they are replacing them with the same magazines that could eventually repeat the same problem.

Cliff Notes:

Problem was originally thought to be isolated to 20 round magazines (due to using 30 round magazine spring), but as the thread progresses people are reporting damaged 30 round magazines.

Doesn't appear to be a "batch problem" as its happening across all sorts of mags across a large time frame.

Just some of the examples from thread:

I've shot about 400 rounds through my EVO. Suppressed, Unsuppressed, 115-165gr. Brass, Aluminum, and Steel. I don't store my mags loaded. Feedlip is cracked, and there's cracks in the mag body:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:07:46 AM by GA Jack »

Offline Hammerdown3512

Re: Check your loaded magazines for cracked lips.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »
not good.....  I wonder how it is that these mags have seemingly held up for countless militaries and police forces since 2010.... but put them in the hands of American gun owners... and we manage to break them.... ::)

i had one of my fully loaded 30 rounders fall from my case and hit the tile floor right on the feed lips with no breakage....  that convinced me that the things were pretty tough ???

might be time for magpul to start making EVO mags... :P

Offline GA Jack

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
not good.....  I wonder how it is that these mags have seemingly held up for countless militaries and police forces since 2010.... but put them in the hands of American gun owners... and we manage to break them.... ::)

How do we know this has not been an issue prior to the US release?  I've not read on anyone looking into it.

More importantly, CZ USA is aware of the problem but has yet to put out a notice to owners. 

I know this is a CZ forum, but good grief CZ USA has been dropping the ball one right after the other since the Scorpion came out.

They should put out a clarification if they have made changes to production to correct these flaws, or have plans to? No one knows.  All we know so far is "We know about the problem, but they are covered under warranty".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:25:12 AM by GA Jack »

Offline hking

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »
CZ-USA doesn't make the mags, CZ-UB in the czech rep does. I am sure CS-USA has brought the issue up to CZ-UB but ultimately it is up to them to make changes/corrections. Otherwise CZ-USA will need to find another source of mags.

Offline Hammerdown3512

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »

How do we know this has not been an issue prior to the US release?  I've not read on anyone looking into it.

More importantly, CZ USA is aware of the problem but has yet to put out a notice to owners. 

I know this is a CZ forum, but good grief CZ USA has been dropping the ball one right after the other since the Scorpion came out.

They should put out a clarification if they have made changes to production to correct these flaws, or have plans to? No one knows.  All we know so far is "We know about the problem, but they are covered under warranty".

true.  for the record too, i have 6 30 rounders in addition to the 2 20s.  2 of the 30s I acquired almost 4 months ago and they have been fully loaded since I got them.  the other 4 30s and 2 20s have been fully loaded for a couple months now.   no issues yet, and after read through those AR15.com posts, I went and visually checked them all.

Offline ShootersElement

• www.ShootersElement.com
    • Shooters Element
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »

Are you serious with this crap? Get real for a minute. Why would you expect a company to release an official document based on some forum posts? I have magpul and hex mags that split after one drop on the ground and I don't see them rushing out to release official statements that state their products are junk. Do us all a favor and stop trying to stir the pot...this is a cz forum talking about a cz product...we're not all going to rush out and grab the pitch forks and tar and go beat on CZ-USA's door. Some of these guys on ARFCOM do some really stupid things to products that are way outside what the product was designed to handle and then turn around and bash it because they have an agenda. I've seen it with my targets, time and time again and then when I ask what's been done to a target or a magazine it reveals they were trying to make it fail and expected it to survive against something that's just stupid.

And stop with this false narrative about how CZ has dropped the ball, it's simply not true and you're over exaggerating the issues. Just yesterday I posted on CZ's website asking about the release of the scorpion stock and was answered two times within a matter of hours. What this tells me, is that you've not even taken the time to talk with or even try to communicate with CZ-USA. So stop the false narrative, stop trying to get people on your band wagon and just relax a little, this is a company in the business of making money, they will make things right or they'll go out of business.

CZ Scorpion accessories

www.ShootersElement.com

Like us on Facebook:www.facebook.com/ShootersElement
Check us out on Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/shooters_element

Offline Nimdabew

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
might be time for magpul Lancer to start making EVO mags... :P

Fixed that for you. Lancer mags are superior to Magpurr mags in almost every respect except I don't have enough of them.
snakeye, no worries, I don't need someone in a leotard. :)

Offline Hammerdown3512

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
might be time for magpul Lancer to start making EVO mags... :P

Fixed that for you. Lancer mags are superior to Magpurr mags in almost every respect except I don't have enough of them.

oh good Lord lets not start a lancer vs magpul debate in the middle of a thread that already has too much drama.    :-\

Offline Greankrayon

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:30:58 PM »
With the thousands of mags that just entered the market four or five mags going bad is perfectly acceptable.

Offline GA Jack

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »
Are you serious with this crap? Get real for a minute. Why would you expect a company to release an official document based on some forum posts?

Oh where to begin.  You don't even appear to have read the provided link.

I have magpul and hex mags that split after one drop on the ground and I don't see them rushing out to release official statements that state their products are junk.

Do they crack from just leaving them loaded?

And actually yes, Magpul did release an official statement about a faulty design discovered in their Glock 17 mags.

Do us all a favor and stop trying to stir the pot...this is a cz forum talking about a cz product...

As I am one of the few to take the time and money to create a 922r compliant scorpion, goof grief turn your fanboy dial down.  You seem absolutely offended I advised people to check their mags as there is a known issue with them cracking due to incorrect spring sizes.

Some of these guys on ARFCOM do some really stupid things to products that are way outside what the product was designed to handle and then turn around and bash it because they have an agenda.

So uh... leaving the magazines loaded... is outside of what the product was designed for...  gotcha.

And stop with this false narrative about how CZ has dropped the ball, it's simply not true and you're over exaggerating the issues. Just yesterday I posted on CZ's website asking about the release of the scorpion stock and was answered two times within a matter of hours. What this tells me, is that you've not even taken the time to talk with or even try to communicate with CZ-USA. So stop the false narrative, stop trying to get people on your band wagon and just relax a little, this is a company in the business of making money, they will make things right or they'll go out of business.

Again I'm sorry my opinion rustles your jimmies pardner.  Personally if I were you I wouldn't bother commenting again in this thread-  you clearly are not capable of unbiased thought when it comes to CZ as a company.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:55:05 PM by GA Jack »

Offline GA Jack

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »
With the thousands of mags that just entered the market four or five mags going bad is perfectly acceptable.

You are also talking about a thread with maybe 50 people talking and more and more are reporting stress cracks forming.

I'm not scientist but that kind of data pool does not bode well.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:55:45 PM by GA Jack »

Offline fordemti

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »
And you all wondered why I asked about this a couple weeks ago. This makes me think I was right all along. Definitely too much CZ fanboy stuff going on here. CZ has dropped the ball multiple times. Especially when it has come to mags and this 922r BS.

Offline Greankrayon

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »
No government in the world would use this gun if it had overwhelming issues with the mags. I'm calling bull crap on this whole thing.

Offline GA Jack

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »
No government in the world would use this gun if it had overwhelming issues with the mags. I'm calling bull crap on this whole thing.

CZ USA has already said they are aware of the issue.  Did you read the link?

The original issue was thought to be isolated to 20 round magazines using 30 round spring.  However multiple people are reporting cracks forming in their 30 round magazines.

Sounds like a polymer issue, not a spring issue. 

What we don't know is if the imported mags are coming from the same machines that the rest of the world uses, or if they setup a new machine to pump out magazines strictly for US import.

We simply don't know.  Maybe Pablo who runs machine #2 mixed the polymer fibers wrong resulting in 10,000 defective mags. Maybe it only created 500 bad mags. Again, we have no idea.

That is why I said,  "check your loaded mags".  PSA and all that.

Sadly Mr. Bryant thinks checking your mags is silly?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:20:13 PM by GA Jack »

Offline Greankrayon

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »
I've had all mine loaded since day one. I'll check tonight and give an update. Sad day if it's as bad as people say.