Author Topic: SAR K2-45 half cock not ok?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
SAR K2-45 half cock not ok?
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:49:48 AM »
The manual says not to use the half cocked position as a half cock, to lower the hammer completely instead. Does anyone know why this might be?

Thanks,
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: SAR K2-45 half cock not ok?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:42:50 PM »
No idea.  ???  Methinks it's Lawyerspeak.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline MetalGravy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »
You generally don't want to rest the hammer at the half-cocked position, unless the gun is designed for it--like the CZ 75BD.  It is there more as a just-in-case.

Offline Hatecraft

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:40 AM »
Oops.  I always have mine at half cock.

Offline rabble_rouser

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »

I'd have to agree, but if the OP's intent is to figure out if it's actually safe to carry in the half-cocked position (given the similarities between SARs and CZs) post #8 in this link might help answer his question: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255012

*Disclaimer* I am not a lawyer or qualified gunsmith, any decisions regarding method of carry are the reader's own responsibility.
"Never frighten a little man. He'll kill you." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:01:07 AM »

I'd have to agree, but if the OP's intent is to figure out if it's actually safe to carry in the half-cocked position (given the similarities between SARs and CZs) post #8 in this link might help answer his question: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255012

*Disclaimer* I am not a lawyer or qualified gunsmith, any decisions regarding method of carry are the reader's own responsibility.

Post#8 repeated here:

It is a safety to prevent a discharge if the pistol falls on its' muzzle. It is the same as the half cock on a Series 70 Colt. You should not carry it on half cock as it is not a carry condition between one and two. I am also a little perplexed as to why you say it is too big for CCW in TX. I carry mine concealed on a regular basis.

Some misconceptions being thrown around, here. At least with regard to CZs.

The half-cock notch is probably there from years earlier, when the gun was first designed. Then, it WAS a safety feature. Those models were different, and didn't have the current firing pin block.

You can carry a CZ at half-cock. Half-cock IS a carry condition for the CZ decocker models, which decock to the half-cock notch. The internals are the same for the decocker and non-decocker models, except that they've removed one of the hammer hooks to make room for the decocker mechanism in the decocker models. (That means the standard models are even MORE robust in that area.) Safety is not an issue, thanks to the FPB.

Those advising against using the half-cock notch in the CZ models probably haven't taken into consideration that the CZ "B" models have firing pin block/safeties, and the only way the firing pin will move forward with a drop, slam, or accidental hammer drop, is if the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. The firing pin can't go forward, otherwise.

In a CZ, starting from the half-cock notch shortens the trigger pull slightly, and lightens it by a pound or so. (In the older CZs [pre-Bs] without the firing pin block, it would be a matter of concern to start or carry form the half-cock notch.)

Depending on the design of the gun, using the half-cock notch may be unsafe. With the CZs (with a FPB), it's safe.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"