Author Topic: Safety v. De-cocker  (Read 5324 times)

Offline jeffhughes

Re: Safety v. De-cocker
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »
If you ever plan to run the gun is a class that requires hot reholstering, double action first shot fans are going to need a decocker....

Jeff,  in what competition is reholstering with either a handgun with a safety or a decocker required?
Are double action revolvers are illegal also?

Only in 3Gun Nation is hot reholstering allowed as far as i know. Even in 3GN it is never required. Double action is allowed in all shooting sports I know of.

What I was referring to is self defense oriented classes that you might take from a myriad of instructors like Mike Seeklander, Tom Givens, Larry Vickers, Rob Pincus,etc....

in a two day class with these guys you will fire well over 1000 rounds snd reholster hot 100 times or more. You can't lower the hammer without a decker in a class like that. They just won't let you.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:04:26 AM by jeffhughes »

Offline bluedog46

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 06:13:50 PM »
As far as a safety decocker goes I think you can modify the cz p07 to have a decocker instead of the safety but not both. I am not sure why they just did not make it do both like the taurus 92 series.

Offline dannyvi

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:24 AM »
A 1911 is not the same as the CZ Rami! It is single action only while,the Rami is DA/SA ! Not even similar. Anybody ever read of a gun going off after pressing the decocker ? I have and it scares me just as much as it scare me when a gun goes off manually decocking it!

DCD2015

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »
I cant say that Ive ever heard or read about a decocker going off. With a firing pin block, its impossible. Where is this information at? What was the gun?

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »
Nope. I've never heard of that. I'd like to read that article myself
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline dannyvi

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
A bit late, but nothing is impossible in this world! I can not remember specifics ,but you don't have to believe if you think it's impossible for this to happen ! I always believe safety safety should work whether gun is in cocked or uncocked position like some! Anyway, both work for me!
Please check and goggle for accidents regarding guns firing when decccked! Advice: always point pistol ground or away when decocking unless you are so convinced it's 100% safe and point to your head!lol!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:41:33 PM by dannyvi »

Offline rodolfo

• TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
Advice: always point pistol ground or away when decocking unless you are so convinced it's 100% safe and point to your head!lol!
The people that use that UNLESS wind up having accidents !  Try NEVER pointing the gun at your head , no matter what seemed to be a good idea at the time.
CZ-83 380ACP
CZ-75 c 9mm
CZ-97 BD 45ACP
CZ SP-01 9mm

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »

Advice: always point pistol ground or away when decocking unless you are so convinced it's 100% safe and point to your head!lol!
The people that use that UNLESS wind up having accidents !  Try NEVER pointing the gun at your head , no matter what seemed to be a good idea at the time.
     I agree! I understand the point, but very poor wording. It's nothing to joke about.
   All I said was I have not heard of a pistol going off using the decocker. And wanted an article to read about it. The last thing I'm gonna do is point it at my head to make a point!
   My Google fu may not be strong, but I couldn't find a single post, article, news report, etc. where a modern pistol went off using the decocker as directed.

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 02:29:41 PM »
I once ran a call on an elderly gentleman lowering the hammer on a live round and shooting himself in the leg. He stated he was going to clean his 45.
I like decocker so on my pistols.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
I have the safety version, I don't have any decocker only equipped pistols. Nothing bad to say about them, I just haven't had a desire to own one. I have always held the hammer securely, ease it down while releasing the trigger until it rests on the safety hook/half cock position. The one thing I know is if it is built by a human it has the potential to fail safety version or decocker. If your gun is worked on by a retard the potential to fail increases dramatically especially if they stone the sear and hammer hooks.

Offline dannyvi

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 04:59:17 PM »
Sorry, did not mean to be offensive. My googling did turn up some incidents ones told firing when decccked! Still, I don't mean this to be big deaL just be careful when decocking or else there would no warning on how to decock !

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »
That right there is great advice. Thanks for turning that around dannyvi. I agree that nothing is impossible, improbable maybe, but not impossible. And always practice safe handling of firearms.

Offline dannyvi

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 07:09:11 PM »
Thanks for understanding. I do have Sigs, HKs and a couple  of other brands with decockers just to say I am not against them! I also owned, a CZ P-01 and 07 with decockers  and loved them just prefer my safety Rami ! Frankly, I get nervous when I decock any of them specially at home after cleaning. For some reason I end up manually decocking them! Just my mechanical engineering side thinking something might slip or misalign or had broken inside that's supposed to hold the hammer! I know it's being silly, but that's me!

Offline Obiwan

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 06:47:46 PM »
Greetings all. I'm a new forum member (just joined). Got myself a CZ75B and a 2075B for Christmas! Love them!

While I initially wanted to get a BD myself, I got tired of waiting and got the model with a manual safety. In retrospect, I actually prefer it.

Anyway, in regards to safely decocking, I trained myself the two hand method. Hold your gun in the right hand (duh). Cover the firing ping with your left thumb. Hold the hammer with your right thumb. Now, quickly toggle the trigger. By that I mean, pull it so the hammer releases and immediately let go, moving index finger back on the side of the frame. Now that the hammer is free, and your finger is off the trigger again, you can either a) remove your left thumb and lower the hammer with right thumb into the decock position, or b) lower the hammer onto your left thumb, then remove your left thumb. (the former would be preferred).

Since you have the firing pin covered with your left thumb during the trigger pull, which is the only time the firing pin block is disengaged, there should be zero chance of an accidental discharge. In essence, your left thumb acts as a firing pin block during that brief moment the internal firing block is removed when the trigger is all the way back. I find this method very safe. Just make sure you train yourself to perform these three steps with deliberately. Thumb over FP, trigger pull AND release, thumb removal.

If you are ever in a situation where you only have one hand available, simply engage the safety, and once you have your left hand available again, then decock.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Rutherford2

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
I've used both manual safety and decocker versions of CZs.

For competition, I prefer manual safety to ensure a consistent trigger pull shot-to-shot. For carry, I prefer the security of a DA pull obtained by decocking to DA. In general, I like having the option of either using a manual safety or decocking the hammer. The advantage of the P07/P09 series is that you can easily swap out safety or decocker to suit your preference.

I agree that a 2-handed approach to manually decocking is safest i.e. controlling the hammer with the support hand, pressing and releasing the trigger as soon the hammer begins to move, and gently resting the hammer on the safety stop, all while ensuring the pistol is pointed in a safe direction. It certainly doesn't hurt to place a finger over the FP as described earlier.

As far as 1911s go, CZs are built differently. Some models of 1911 do not have a firing pin block (i.e. Series 70) and therefore there is nothing preventing the hammer from striking the firing pin. This puts the user at great risk for a ND if they choose to lower the hammer on a live round. CZ "B" models have a firing pin block which prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. That being said, on a single action-only pistol, I don't see the point of decocking - I would think that under stress it would be a lot more difficult to remember to cock a hammer and ensure all safeties (i.e. grip/frame) are disengaged than to simply disengage a manual safety. Just my 2 cents.