Author Topic: VZ58 BON bayonet  (Read 16187 times)

Offline felix

VZ58 BON bayonet
« on: August 25, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
Anyone know anything about this bayonet? Is it available to purchase?
Love to play with fast women, sharp knives & loud guns, if the wife says it's okay....

Offline vblue42

Re: VZ58 BON bayonet
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
What is BON?

Offline felix

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 05:42:57 PM »
From what I understand it is the Czech Special Forces knife / bayonet they used in Iraq. had to Goggle it to find out more info on it. probably not for sale in the US :(
Love to play with fast women, sharp knives & loud guns, if the wife says it's okay....

Offline RSR

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »
I am working on procuring a lot of these for a group buy.   ;D

Offline felix

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »
Martin - You be the Man!!  :)

Offline gwvt

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:29 AM »
Those are definitely drool-worthy but last I checked they were a couple hundred bucks. If a group buy would reduce that significantly I'd be interested.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:49:42 AM »
Some previously posted pics showing the BON attached to a VZ2000.

This is a real blade (very sharp edge) of a "spearpoint" design, and comes with with a very nice sheath. 

The Bon fits securely on to Sa.58 bayo lugs on all variants.  The knife has a push button locking mechanism which is different from the non-edged standard issue bayos -- rather than being spring loaded it pushes and snaps in place to lock on or off. 
The BON grip is rubberized material and over molded / bonded on to a full tang that extends through to a heavy metal butt.  The back of the blade near the grip has well defined gimping for a good thumb lock. It is a very nicely designed and balanced knife, and could be an effective weapon in the right hands.

Sheath is shown above the knife on the left in the lower pic.  The issued SF originals with engraving are extremely rare.  I read the production run after the originals was also limited for a total of a couple hundred.  Completely sold all of them. Perhaps a knock-off has now been made?

I hear if you are lucky, you can sometimes buy them from Park Rangers in the U.S.    ;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:54:58 AM by CitizenPete »
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline gwvt

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »
Like I said - droolworthy.
I hear if you are lucky, you can sometimes buy them from Park Rangers in the U.S.    ;)
Hah! Looks like you got it after I turned it down but I did get some cherry wood. I had to draw the line somewhere but have regretted it from time to time.

Offline IowaVZTAC

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:01 PM »
GROUP BUY!? Put me down for at least one if you get that going RSR. Send me a PM if you get it going. Thanks

Offline gwvt

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »
I couldn't remember what BON meant and had to look it up. BON is an abbreviation of 'bojov? n??', which translates to 'combat knife'.
I guess in English it would be a COK?

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
I couldn't remember what BON meant and had to look it up. BON is an abbreviation of 'bojov? n??', which translates to 'combat knife'.
I guess in English it would be a COK?

::) he he

As Rodney Dangerfield used to say: "I get no respect."  :'(

Czwebsters dictionary of military terms:
BON
Pronounced "bone"
Definition: Czechoslovakian abbreviation of 'bojov? n??', which translates to English as 'combat knife'.  A specialized fighting knife developed as a bayonet to fit the Samopal Vzor 58 (machine gun model 58) rile.  Initially manufactured exclusively for a Czech Active Reserve 121 Company a quantity 100 serialized were produced complete with the 121st Company's emblem and an inscription laser cut on to the blade. A second manufacturing run was completed without the Company emblem and inscription, for a total of 250 authentic BON combat bayonets.
Military Field Usage: "Is that a BON in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me."

Seriously,

There were only 250 of these knives manufactured in total:
From a CZ collectors view point, one of the very rare (100) original laser inscribed and serialized BONs is the holy grail of BONs. Or is it "Holy BON" of grails.  Having said that, finding one of the 150 BONs manufactured after the initial 100 engraved/serialized batch is still a collectors item, as they are still very much sought after by CZ militaria collectors.

Perhaps via UPTON et. al. have realized a demand for the knife in civilian circles, and have licensed the design for additional manufacture? 

Utilizing a broken English Google translatation from various sources:

Bayonet, according to the contracting authority the BON (combat knife) is made like the original bayonet for submachine gun model 58 mount and stisk?tko has a similar structure. Blade length 162 mm with notched spine as offensive knife blade is facing away from the barrel. Casting tang to the hilt is the vulcanized rubber with a roughened surface. Bayonet comes with a fabric scabbard, color and material that corresponds to the current equipment v?strojn?m Army of the Czech Republic. It is adapted to be worn on the belt, including additional loops. Small front pocket with flap soldier can be used for example for their personal knife, tool knife or pistol magazine.

Development and production:  BON design knives date back to the end of 2005, when after a workout AZ Boletice created a need for improvement of equipment for soldiers AZ.  AZ Each soldier carried a bayonet for the vz.  58 AND a combat knife (UTON, Glock), it was impractical, so soldiers in the company wanted something that combined the two.  In a few days, Mr. Sindelar made a prototype blade, combining the bayonet vz.  58 and combat knife. [...]  Testing the knife went through the winter 2006. After several changes in material selection has begun mass production. Blade and hilt and base is made of one piece.  Produced by precision casting and forging die for stress relieving of steel 17029 (as a military drown).  Grinding on a mat finish zelen?n?m with quenching to 56-57 HRC is done in the company Mikov.  BON is poured on the handle of soft polyurethane black color.  The hilt of a T groove stisk?tkem and attachment for use on SA vz.58. Description:   BON was made ??originally as a serialized numbered series of only 100 pieces for members of the 121st  Company AZ. 

On the right side in the middle of the blade is stamped No. 001-100, on the left is laser-burned 121 company emblem and the inscription "nedej zahynouti n?m ni  budouc?m? -- "do not let us perish her future."
or perhaps loosely translated, something more like "We shall preserve the future of the Czech Republic" or something like "We shall not let the Czech Republic perish"
To obtain knives are intended for binding rules, and no one except members of the company can not get the knife.  Part of the knife sheath and a certificate on handwritten paper with the knife serial number , and signed on behalf of the owner by the company commander.  The certificate is for ordinary soldiers in green field and fairly gifted in festive red.  Attributed was still 77 pieces.  The donation was made and a series of 5 pieces labeled with excavation H001-H005 (honoris).  Donating is still one piece of the former commander Colonel EBC orthodoxy Novak.  Other units are manufactured without markings and 12020 carbon steel, black finish, the same shape and sheath.  They are used by soldiers in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.  Several knives used and Slovak paratroopers. So far around 250 units in 2 batches have been manufactured.

The scabbard is made of Cordura nylon and has several options for mounting to a belt or gear.  On the front of the sheath there is a pocket for a pocket knife, a whetstone or pliers (small muli-tool).
  After consultations within the company Mikov started to use the same blade in the handle drown the designation UTON AZ.

SPECs:
  Total length of the knife:   280 mm
  Blade length:   160 mm
  Blade width:   25 mm
  Blade Thickness:   4 mm

Source (includes photos): http://www.uton.cz/moderni-noze-acr/acr-bon/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:08:48 PM by CitizenPete »
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline sofrosune

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »
Count me in if there's a group buy.

Offline czgunner

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »
I'm definitely in on a group buy!
Disabled combat veteran

Offline chip.dranbauer

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 05:26:42 AM »
I would be in to buy one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline RSR

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 03:30:18 AM »
Should have these before the end of the year, preliminary estimate of Nov.  Also, I should have at least a couple dozen but am holding on any movement forward until I have a better idea of timeline and quantity.  Yes, Mikov made.

For signups/places in line, please hold for now.  Will likely limit to 1 per person.  Depending on extent of interest, I'll probably
1) concoct some formula involving join date, forum participation/posts, past group by participation, etc, for seniority.  (If you start posting stupid crap to game a system I haven't yet established, I reserve the right to deduct points; and I can always look back to everyone's participation/post count as of today, so please don't be a doofus.)
2) as well as set aside some quantity for those not qualifying for above and do either random picking or some effectively random score guess contest around a college football game or similar, heck maybe both.

When you claim that you want one will not be a criteria for receipt, so please hold your horses (I'm prob as excited about these as you) and just check back here for updates.  I'll eventually create a separate thread w/ further details and post that link here.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:37:40 AM by RSR »

anything