Author Topic: Almost a squib  (Read 2700 times)

Offline IDescribe

Almost a squib
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
Had a near squib.  Sounded like a high pitch ZINGGGG.  I thought it was a squib.  While I was locking the slide back to check the barrel, I glanced up at chrono.  The last shot was 63 feet/sec.  No bullet in barrel.  Pretty sure it was the result of fouled powder. 

Online Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Almost a squib
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:50:46 PM »
Glad you were on your toes, recognized the difference, and stopped to check the gun.

I had a revolver load that clocked near 60 fps one time. And they do make a very strange sound.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline vwpieces

• Bang, Bang, Bang
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
Good catch. Be very weary of the rest of the rounds in that batch. If you intend on shooting them do it ASAP & not let them sit around too long & you forget why they were put aside in the first place.

63fps=43mph   :D
Sorry, had to remove the list of firearms due to server overload. I hope you now have a more pleasant experience on this forum.

"Hey, do you want to try my Glock?"
No thank you. Want to try my CZ P-01?
"Hell Yeah, DoooD, thats sweet"

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
Interesting, this is the first i have heard that the slow ones make a sound. I have had a few squibs, but never a real slow round that cleared the barrel.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Online Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:51:28 PM »
Interesting, this is the first i have heard that the slow ones make a sound.

Well, technically it's not a Squib if it leaves the barrel, but we like to make allowances here on the CZ forum. This is all the interest of peace, forum brotherhood, can't we all just get along, kum bye ya, and the big group hug thing.

When I fired mine, about 2 seconds later (or so it seemed) I heard the bullet strike the target. So it's like... Pip!.... thwack!  If I hadn't been in my own backyard, I'd have sworn someone else's bullet hit my target.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »
Right. Definitely not a squib.  Almost a squib.   ;)  I am guessing any weaker than it was and the bullet wouldn't have made it out.  I assume the metallic whine it made was gas squeezing past the bullet while it was still in the barrel.  So bullet flatulence, maybe?  O0

Mine didn't actually make it to the target.  I normally chrono at 10 or 15 yards, but today my "ladders" were just one or two strings of a variety of bullets trying to find accurate .45ACP loads for 50 yard bullseye.  I did chrono them for the data, but I was really there for the accuracy, so I was shooting at 25 yards, and apparently 25 yards is too far for a 185 grain bullet doing only 63 feet/sec.  ;)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:40:44 PM »
If your chrono was at maybe 10-12 feet you're lucky is was 60 FPS!
You would have then be liable for shooting your chrono out of season.  The chrono cops on the forum would issue at least a dozen citations/posts.
Mr. Wobbly is still getting them. :)

Offline painter

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:00:36 PM »
If your chrono was at maybe 10-12 feet you're lucky is was 60 FPS!
You would have then be liable for shooting your chrono out of season.  The chrono cops on the forum would issue at least a dozen citations/posts.
Mr. Wobbly is still getting them. :)
There's a closed season on chrono's? :o :o :o
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »
365 days closed.  It opens every leap year for one day.  Don't chrono that day or anyone--like painter-- can shoot your chrono legally.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 09:34:40 PM »
If it was fouled/wet powder did you see a lot of unburned powder in the barrel?

I had one similar in 72 in Illinois while ring neck hunting.  I got the first rooster with my first shot, missed the second rooster with the second shot, lined up the sights for the third shot and when I pulled the trigger I got a little popping noise and I swear I could hear the shot roll down the barrel and hit the gravel in front of me (we used hunt along the rail roads that ran through the fields.)  The gun was empty and I ejected that 3rd round/brass and stuck my thumb (even a white thumb will reflect light back into the receiver) and looked down the barrel and it was nasty with pieces/clumps of unburned or poorly burned powder.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
About a year ago I did a test to see where a bullet would stick in the barrel.  I was using 700-X, but down to 0.5 grains of powder still exited the barrel 5/5 rounds, with an average velocity of 149 fps and a SD of 30.  My next ladder load was a 0.1 grains, and it did stick the bullet.

The 0.5 grain charges didn't get the bullet to our 25 yard target, and the bullet hitting the ground was louder than the gunshot.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
365 days closed.  It opens every leap year for one day.  Don't chrono that day or anyone--like painter-- can shoot your chrono legally.

Haha! Nice.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 11:58:31 PM »
James,  I'll never forget your test results from when you posted them.  I've cited your test to a couple of reloaders who were ,  lets say skeptical.  I am not a bit skeptical.  Bullet and bbl diameter might make some difference though.

I feel safer believing that if I can see powder,  it'll push the bullet out of the bbl.

Offline copemech

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:44:07 AM »
This is exactly why I posted my question in the other recent thread about powder measures. It happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Had a similar issue with some(a single) Freedom reloads a while back.

Offline SMSgt

• Make a decision; live with the consequences.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
Never had one . . . yet.
Life isn't fair, stop expecting it to be.