Author Topic: 453 Before and After  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Gussy

453 Before and After
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:06:57 AM »
I refinished my 453. It is possible to improve CZ poor finish.

Offline viking499

Re: 453 Before and After
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »
Nice grain.

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
453 Before and After
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
How did you lighten the checkering?

Looks much better imho.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline Gussy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
I did not lighten the checkering. I used Zip Strip (Ace Hardware), using a brush on the checkering. After it was all striped, and sanded, the wood was a very ugly gray brown. Be very careful not sanding checkering. I used Watco Danish Oil in Dark Walnut, used it like a stain. Watco is very forgiving, I put three or four coats sanding with 400 wet dry sandpaper. Building up a good slurry to fill pores. Do not wipe off until the Watco is a little tacky. If it gets too hard to wipe down just put some more Wacto on it then wipe down and hand rub. When it was the color I wanted, I used hand rubbed Tru-Oil. Unlike CZ finish, all and I mean all the pores are filled.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »
Gussy--That looks great!!  Thanks for posting your results, with good photos.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline rlrock

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:54:46 AM »
Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline painter

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
Looks great!

How difficult was it to remove the butt pad and spacer?
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 10:50:57 PM »
Looks great! 

I'm headed to the gun cabinet now to see if my 455 UL might have nicer wood than I gave it credit for.

Rock-it3

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
Gussy, that is beautiful! what an incredible piece of wood under that dark stain. You did a great job bringing it out. My 527 has nice looking wood with the factory finish, you are making me wonder what it would look like if I gave it that treatment.

Offline Gussy

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:57:42 PM »
Looks great!

How difficult was it to remove the butt pad and spacer?

I did not remove the pad, or the spacer. You need to keep it cleaned up after ever coat. I used 600 wet dry paper, very ,very careful.

Offline Gussy

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 10:43:45 PM »
Gussy, that is beautiful! what an incredible piece of wood under that dark stain. You did a great job bringing it out. My 527 has nice looking wood with the factory finish, you are making me wonder what it would look like if I gave it that treatment.

I have a 527, but it has better wood and equal or a better finish than 453. I just got the 527, that what made me re-finish the 453. I seems that when you purchase CZ you get a crap shoot on the finish and grade of wood. If you have a stock that the grain is not filled in and you can see grain that is hidden by some poor finish. If it was me, I would re-finish it. I ether re-finish or re-stock it, I hate ugly guns. This is my 527. Also when you have 10-22, that you can not make look good you can re-stock it. It was re-finished with Watco Danish Oil and Watco Poly Wipe. However it still shoot like a stock barrel 10-22, not even close to the 453.

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Gussy,

Back in the '70's, there was a place in Phoenix where you could build your own guitar, Juan Roberto School of Luthiery. John Roberts used Watco Danish Oils for finishing all his guitars, using a similar technique of many sessions of rubbing in the oil with 400+ wet/dry black paper, and after a few sessions, used just a shiny paper he had a huge roll of to rub the oil deep into all the pores. It really did make a difference in the sonic qualities of the instruments from what I could tell.

I refinished an old Marlin bolt action with the Watco's and it still has a beautiful luster that I so appreciate. I may just do the same with my 550 now that I see your results, though it has a nice factory finish. I just think the oil finish is more durable and looks better than sprayed on coatings.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing. Nicest looking 10/22 I've seen, great stock!

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 09:58:01 PM »
I don't usually play with wood finishing, but would a pint of Watco Danish Oil and a pint of Poly Wipe be enough to finish a few stocks?

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
Gussy,
Back in the '70's, there was a place in Phoenix where you could build your own guitar, Juan Roberto School of Luthiery.

Still there, drove by last week. http://www.roberto-venn.com

CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Gussy

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »
I don't usually play with wood finishing, but would a pint of Watco Danish Oil and a pint of Poly Wipe be enough to finish a few stocks?

A pint will last you all your life. The two pints will likely finish 100 guns plus. I used air brush to apply the Poly Wipe. I do not think I well ever use it again. Just don't like the Weatherby type finish.

anything