Author Topic: Deer season opens tomorrow!  (Read 6181 times)

Wahoo1 again

Deer season opens tomorrow!
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
Leaving for my hunting area (family land in Bastrop county) in an hour. Prepped the cabin and stands over the last two weeks. Spotted lots of decent bucks and does, no trophy animals. I plan to shoot a meat doe or cull buck this weekend. I'll wait until the rut starts for better chance at a trophy class buck. My brother-in-law, son, nephew and niece are going this weekend. The wives want to wait until Thanksgiving.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: Deer season opens tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:16:57 AM »
Good luck on the hunt.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Bodene

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »
Good luck. - Bodene

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 07:14:07 PM »
Wet ugly day, got a nice fat doe for the freezer. My bother-in law got a cull buck and the niece got got a good doe. Saw 1 good buck, but didn't have a shot. My son and nephew didn't hunt today, they plan on looking for cull bucks tomorrow. The game biologist suggested we shoot 8 to 10 does and 4 small/old bucks along with no more than 2 trophy class deer. 

Offline Bodene

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »
Congrats, sounds like you guys have a great hunting spot. I very rarely get a deer on the first day. - Bodene

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »
This guy decided to show up again, this time in front of my son (in my deer stand) this morning. I was in the cabin making breakfast and enjoying a cup of coffee.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »
bleep!

Nice.

I have put about 25 hours in the stand so far and all I have had is a Doe show up.  That was yesterday, should have taken the shot.  She laid down about 80 yards in front of me for 2 hours. I was hoping a buck would come in behind her.
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 12:34:19 PM »

Nice buck!

The game biologist suggested we shoot 8 to 10 does and 4 small/old bucks along with no more than 2 trophy class deer.

Dang! In AZ it's a lottery tag for ONE deer. Good luck drawing a decent unit or finding a deer worth eating. Gave up local deer hunts and focus on elk. If I'm going to spend the time, effort and money it's at least worth it. Of course getting a tag is even harder. :(
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Bodene

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:01:16 AM »
Nice buck. I'm really starting to get a bit jealous now. Looks like the deer are just lining up waiting to let you guys shoot them. - Bodene

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 07:55:20 PM »
It helps when you own the land your hunting and manage it for deer. We lease the grazing rights to a local rancher but limit how often he can run his cattle.

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »
Perfect weather this weekend, the rut is in full swing, and I saw 4 trophy bucks. Didn't shoot one because the wife bagged a spike on Friday, with the doe I took, that's all the venison we want. My sister and nephew got a fair buck each. My dad got a nice doe. I shot a small meat pig last night that will be used in the sausage blend I'm going to grind later this week. I saw a huge Tom turkey but didn't want to shoot him with the 7mm-08 rifle I was carrying. I wish I had my .223 or 357 rifle with me at the time. 

Offline tact

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
This guy decided to show up again, this time in front of my son (in my deer stand) this morning. I was in the cabin making breakfast and enjoying a cup of coffee.

Very nice!  I bet you're pretty proud!

anything