Author Topic: New 455 FS Inbound.  (Read 1551 times)

Offline BlitzPig

New 455 FS Inbound.
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »
Been a long time since I've been to the forum, and first time posting in the long gun area.
No stranger to CZs though.

So, after much procrastination I ordered one of my grail guns, a 455 Full Stock in .22LR.

My questions revolve around sights.  My eyes will very shortly be 62 years old, and are not what they used to be, but I am still handy with peep sights.

Pretty sure I'm going with the Skinner rear peep that mounts on the furthest rear sight dovetail.   Looked at the Williams FP target sights, but I don't like the way they make the rifle look, and I also find them to be on the fragile side.  This will not be a target rifle, I have other rimfires for that mission profile.  My question is, can the stock rear sight be totally removed?  Is it's mount screwed on the barrel?  If so, are there dummy screws out there to fill the holes left behind by removing the original sight?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but trying to get my ducks in a row here.

Of course I'll post an initial range report after my first trip out with the rifle.

I have several brands of .22 in the safe, and will try them all to find "the one" that is best, but if the 455 is anything like the 527 I used to own, I doubt it will be too picky an eater.

It's nice having a new CZ headed my way...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline painter

Re: New 455 FS Inbound.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
455 sights can be removed completely.

Holes are 3.5 mm.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
I have the Skinner on my 455 lux.
The standard front sight was too short and I had to install a taller sight as i was out of elevation adjustment with the stock front sight. If you have the newer tangent sight on your new gun that may not be a problem.

R

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I'm going to try the stock sight first, as I don't want to order anything till I've fired it, but the longer sight radius with the peep seems a good idea.

At least the CZ store seems to have a number of different height front sights available, which is a good thing.

Oh, what about break in of the barrel?   Does the old 5 rounds, clean, 5 rounds, clean, for the first 50 rounds still apply?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline painter

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:31:44 AM »
CZ claims no break in necessary. With .22lr I don't feel much is necessary anyway as a bare lead bullet won't do much to a steel barrel.

but not the ability.

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
Thanks again.

I know that CZ barrels are very very good, just trying to keep it that way for the long haul.

Offline painter

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 02:06:32 PM »
The nice thing about the 455 is that if you get a dud barrel, yes...they occasionally make a bad one or one that doesn't shoot as well as desired, it's a DIY to do something about it.

I bet you could even get Lilja to do a shortened version of their tapered barrel for the American if you asked really nice.

I don't have a 455, but have 2 452's, one is an FS, and they both shoot plenty good enough for an old guy that doesn't pursue tiny groups from a sporting rifle.

Enjoy your new FS!

but not the ability.

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
CZ claims no break in necessary. With .22lr I don't feel much is necessary anyway as a bare lead bullet won't do much to a steel barrel.

^^  x2

R

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »
Well, I picked up my 455 yesterday.

Beautiful rifle.  Even better than I had hoped I do have a question about the test target.   I seem to recall on my older CZs that I got an actual target that was shot with real bullets.   What's the deal with the print out that came with my rifle?

It says they used Geco 40 gr. ammo, so can I assume that it was really fired?   Is there some sort of computerized down range apparatus that scores the hits and then generates that non shot at piece of paper?

Just curious.

My real world test will come Saturday,  I'll keep you posted on my results.

Offline painter

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:13:14 AM »
The gun was fired to test function.

CZ uses an electronic target system that prints the results. No need to go down range.

but not the ability.

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
Thanks.

I figured that was probabaly how it was done, was hoping it was not some sort of laser type deal.

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
Well, I had my 455 to the range today for the first time.

It did not disappoint, even though my long time away from long guns sure showed...   :-\

The indoor range I use is 25 yards, so the 455, which is sighted in at 50 meters shot quite a bit high.
Once I got a grip on the difference between point of aim and point of impact I was able to make some pretty good groups shooting offhand.

No hitches in the rifle's function, and the trigger was noticeably better towards the end of the session.
I shot Geco 40gr, SK 40 grain, CCI Green Tag and CCI bottom end stuff from Wally World.

The two German brands gave the best groups (approx. 1.5 inches @ 25 yards), but the CCI stuff, either the Green Tag or the regular grade was not too far off that.
I feel the rifle is capable of better accuracy, but it's the meat servo pulling the trigger that is the main impediment to better groups.  I'll be working on that.

It still was a satisfying morning at the range though, as my little CZ was getting better groups with irons, that the two guys next to me could do with magnified optics on an AR 15.

Offline bigdave24

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
Wouldn't a rifle zeroed at 50 meters, shoot low at 25 yards?  The bullet drop shouldn't be significant.

Offline BlitzPig

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »
I'm not really sure.

It shot quite high, like 3.5 inches high.

I did not adjust the rear sight.

I'm going back next week and will play with the sights a bit.

Offline painter

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 09:53:29 PM »
A 22lr rifle sighted at 50 yds/meters will shoot high at 25 yds/meters...

but not 3.5" with the same ammo.

Maybe a 1/2 ".

but not the ability.