Author Topic: Review: CZ Custom 922r Compliant Base Plates  (Read 1398 times)

Offline mdz0136

Review: CZ Custom 922r Compliant Base Plates
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
Disclaimer: I do not work for CZ Custom and have not tried any other brand of base plates so I have nothing to compare the CZ Custom version to except for the factory ones.

After receiving my 922r parts kit for my Scorpion I sold a few parts and kept the essentials - the folding stock and disconnector. Other parts would be purchased from companies such as Shooters Element, Manticore Arms, HBIndustries and Yeti Wurks because I felt these aftermarket manufacturers would produce a higher quality product that actually has an advantage over factory copies that are just made in the USA.

When I first saw the CZ Custom base plates I immediately knew that I wanted them. Knowing their quality of manufacturing I knew I wouldn't be disappointed, and I wasn't. I ordered a total of five plates for all of my magazines because I do not like mismatching things. Ordered on Monday morning, I received them by Friday all the way across the country.

These can be purchased here: http://czcustom.com/czevoscorpionmagbase.aspx

Price
At $27.84 each plus shipping, it is priced higher than the competition and since I sold the ones out of the 922r kit I can say more expensive than those as well. These are CNC'd 6060 aluminum - versus a plastic of some sort. For all five plates I paid just under $150, a pretty penny for pretty things I guess.

Quality & Fitment
As with anything from CZ Custom, outstanding. The finish on all 5 plates are uniform, smooth, and all cut exactly the same. Each were packaged in its' own ziploc with a sticker noting they are made in America. Side by side comparisons show that the CZC plates are thicker in nearly every dimension, including the "rails" on the inside that slide onto the magazine.

The thicker rails that slide onto the magazine make for a VERY tight fitment. By VERY tight, I mean I could pull them off without some tapping with a nylon hammer. The factory pieces on the other hand are VERY easy to pull off. Neither of the plates wiggled or jiggled once installed. You'll notice the factory plates have a square cutout versus round (CZC) for the spring insert. When installing the factory plates the insert had to be moved around to finally "click" into place. With the CZC plates, once they were pushed on the inserts "clicked" right in place.

Weight
Factory base plates = 13 grams
CZC base plates = 26 grams

Performance
No issues firing 115 or 147gr ammo. I don't see how there would be any issues but thought I'd mention it anyway. Magazines drop free with no assistance just like the factory but a little smoother due to the increase in weight. The factory plates are somewhat textured but I don't feel there to be any advantage in gripping surface between the two because I don't grip the base plate when I remove the magazine.

Conclusion
If you're in need of 922r compliance parts then you're in luck. The quality of these is outstanding and also look great too. They'll cost you, but you'll forget how much they are once they're dropped off in your mailbox and you swap the old for the new. Would I buy more? Yup. Now onto the pictures.

(The line next to the hole is my fault. :o)

Offline 85Sabre

Re: Review: CZ Custom 922r Compliant Base Plates
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 06:45:51 PM »
They look very nice and you can't deny the strength of aluminum over plastic.

But I just bought 5 - 30rd mags for $99.64, I think I would rather buy 5 more mags than spend $150 on base plates.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline mdz0136

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »
They look very nice and you can't deny the strength of aluminum over plastic.

But I just bought 5 - 30rd mags for $99.64, I think I would rather buy 5 more mags than spend $150 on base plates.

I completely understand and agree about the price. I also bought 5 magazines for the same price. The reason I decided to spend more on these is because I needed bases to remain compliant anyway, plus I hadn't seen anyone else using them. I hope this gives others a better view of these if they're trying to decide what parts to get.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:26:15 PM by mdz0136 »

Offline 85Sabre

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
I under stand and  appreciate your review,  I'm just to cheep to spend that on base plates.

anything