Author Topic: VZ2008 muzzle break install wiggle?  (Read 5175 times)

Offline 1eyedfatman

VZ2008 muzzle break install wiggle?
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »
I replaced the slant break on my VZ2008 with a VZ-58 Slovakian Style Muzzle Brake.  I notice there is a little wiggle to the break after the install.  Will that cause bigger shot groups and did anyone do anything to tighten that up?

Offline nickndfl

Re: VZ2008 muzzle break install wiggle?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »
Get a washer and file it down and paint it.  You don't want any wobble.  It will take a steady hand to get it just right.  Use the flat file in this video to make the washer thinner.  Be careful as it will come down to a 1/4 turn.

Offline RSR

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
1 mm = one full turn of the brake, so you can remove material from brake to fit tight against fsb.  Teflon tape works too...

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 03:51:28 PM »
1 mm = one full turn of the brake, so you can remove material from brake to fit tight against fsb.  Teflon tape works too...

This is how I fitted mine.  When tighten ed to "tight" the locking pin the comes out of the front sight "clicks in".

Using locking tape or Locker has a draw-back.  The Brake gets very hot and melts non-metalic stuff.  My brass washer fitted by a Smith shortly flattened and came out of calibration(?).

I rolled the brake while forcing it against a belt sander with a table.  That gave me a "FLAT" and "TRUE" mating surface.

Offline cci24

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 07:13:16 PM »
Anyone know the Size of the washer that should be used?

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »
Anyone know the Size of the washer that should be used?

This one works, but I don't know size [size=78%]http://www.cncwarrior.com/Crush-Washer-for-M14-p/23291.htm[/size]
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline biaggo

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
screw washers, doesn't work.
take file , fix a muzzle so it doesn't wobble, give it a few straight tries and put it back on rifle. then do it again a few times. when it comes to aprox. half of mm to the pin, put screwdriver trough muzzle and twist so the pin locks.

thats it. mine fits perfectly.

Offline CitizenPete

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
screw washers, doesn't work.
take file , fix a muzzle so it doesn't wobble, give it a few straight tries and put it back on rifle. then do it again a few times. when it comes to aprox. half of mm to the pin, put screwdriver trough muzzle and twist so the pin locks.

thats it. mine fits perfectly.

Certainly what you described is optimal...  :D

However, many rifles such as AR15 M4 style firearms use crush washers, as-well-as some modded AKMs that have no detent pins.  Furthermore, vz2008s are sometimes prone to the spring operated detent pin being pushed in and not coming back out (becoming permanently stuck).  In all these cases mentioned above, a crush washer should do just fine.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:46:39 AM by CitizenPete »
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline CitizenPete

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »

Never used Teflon tape on a muzzle b4.  Is there a special type or are you just using normal plumbers tape? (the white stuff?)  Does it last with the heat?
CP

Offline RSR

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
Standard plumbers tape - ptfe.

It's rated to ~500*F and melts around 700*F I believe.

In comparison standard solder melts at around 400*F, and tin melts at ~450*F.

I wouldn't use teflon tape w/ a suppressor, but otherwise it should be good to go excepting weapon destruction testing and/or other multiple mag dumps at near full auto rates of fire...  It really doesn't burn or displace when hot, just discolors.

*Also, the VZ2008s are coated in teflon too, so you're ultimately more likely to burn that under your handguards than you are at the muzzle. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:10:08 PM by RSR »

Offline biaggo

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »
Seriously guys, stop with all the tapes and washer. You will never get the right one to fit perfectly.

Offline RSR

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
Seriously guys, stop with all the tapes and washer. You will never get the right one to fit perfectly.

Yes, that is the "correct" or "best" way to do it.

Offline 1eyedfatman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »
I took my VZ2008 to a local gunsmith and he filed down the backside of the muzzle break until it would firmly twist in place with the pin.  Cost $35 but looks great and is on there tight now...no wiggle at all.  While I'll do a lot of simple things myself, this was one thing I decided not to try myself with my hand file.

Offline Garys4598

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »

Completely agree!

But... personally, I'd cease with the metal hand file once one got very close to the gas block detent pin aligning perfectly with the muzzle device, and switch to using fine sanding paper on a flat surface.   ;)
"Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun."

Offline paskeCZ

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »

+1

Mine had to turn  three quarters  tour, done in 10 minutes with sandpaper 80 and 120 on the bathroomfloor, sitting on the toilet................

anything