Author Topic: How quickly have you broken a TRS?  (Read 4567 times)

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
How quickly have you broken a TRS?
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:40:30 AM »
12/13 I pick up my shiny new 75B.  Start shooting it immediately.  Begin practicing with it to get used to a DA first shot.  Fast forward to now, 12/29 and nearly two weeks to the day I snap the stock TRS.  I dry fire five days a week, 100-200 reps a session depending on what I am working on, but mostly recently it has been double action.  I have the CGW part on order already, but what kind of interval should I expect from the TRS?  I have heard it is good to swap them every 6 months if you are a high volume dude or 10k rounds, whichever is first.  Thoughts?

Sent from an iDevice.  Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors.  If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
Re: How quickly have you broken a TRS?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »
I dry fire 6 pulls per live fire shot.   My stock spring lasted 1k rounds.    My CGW spring lasted 8k.   I now change it every 6k rounds.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline Mike Russell

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
haven't broken mine yet....approx 14-15000 rounds + a lot of dry firing. It's one of the older SP01s (quite a bit before the Shadows came out).

Offline Old Rocket

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
1 cajun 3 factory 75b and spo1s . The cajun ones are the way to go but make sure u have extra.
Have yet to break the factory on the ts40 8k and counting.
CZ 75b
CZ P09
SP 01
SP 01
TS 40
VZ2008

Offline BigHeat

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:20:03 PM »
I have a friend who was out of work on medical leave and he went thru 6 springs in a 4 month time frame from doing daily dry fire.  I believe 4 where factory and 2 where from CGW
Blue Bullets Sponsored Shooter. Use promo code Healey for a 5% discount on your next purchase (1 time use)

CZ Tactical Sport-40S&W
CZ 75 Shadow T-9mm
Tanfoglio Stock 2-9mm
Sig 1911 Max Michel edition 45acp
Sig P229-357sig-EDC

Offline 357MAGNOLE

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:45:16 PM »
I have a friend who was out of work on medical leave and he went thru 6 springs in a 4 month time frame from doing daily dry fire.  I believe 4 where factory and 2 where from CGW

Poor dude was bored out of his mind.
USN 2006-Present
CZ 455 Varmit Evolution .22 LR
CZ Scorpion EVO 3
CZ 512 .22 WMR
Cajunized P-09

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:59:39 PM »
Smitty & Mike,  what triggers,  hammers and main spring weights are you guys using?  Just wondering why some seem to last several times as many pulls as others.  Mine always seem to last a good number of pulls like Mike's. :-* 

Offline JonFrost

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 01:04:59 AM »
Forgive me if these are dumb questions, but:

1. How do you know when it breaks? What happens?
2. How hard is it to replace?
3.  Is this common on all cz models? I have 4 that I will be using in uspsa over the next few months. They've all been shot a bit but no real high round counts yet. Thanks for any info!

Jon

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 01:29:46 AM »
Jon,  the trigger will pull and drop the hammer ,  but won't "spring" back forward to reset.  If you push it forward it will reset and fire again.
Mine has broken at the spring's tang that extends into the slot and visible from the top.
Have a spare. 

With the CGW trigger pin and a guide pin to position the spring it's a quick-fix.  Like has been noted by others,  don't scratch or damage the spring when puting it in.  A scratch creates a weak point that may break when exercized.
With a standard trigger pin  it's not that hard to do;  but you may need a third hand,  or the spring may go flying into that place where all parts disappear and can't be found until after you've bought another one.  ;D

Offline Mike Russell

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 06:29:43 AM »
Smitty & Mike,  what triggers,  hammers and main spring weights are you guys using?  Just wondering why some seem to last several times as many pulls as others.  Mine always seem to last a good number of pulls like Mike's. :-*

Factory trigger, factory hammer (though with reshaped hooks, was worked over before aftermarket parts and the Shadows hit the market), first 2000rnds was factory main spring after that it's seen 13s & 15s (currently a 13 with extended firing pin).

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 06:39:34 AM »
I guess I'm still in the minority here. I have never broken a TRS in any of my 7 CZ's. Over 20k now through by 75BD and still the OE spring. Many many thousands more rnds through the 75C,PCR, P-07 97BD, and a couple others. Now that all said I don't dry fire practice and I'm a chronic oiler so my guns are always well lubed which I think has a lot to do with longevity of the spring. CZ Custom does stock their enhanced version of the TRS which they claim has lived over 20k pulls. Item # 10067 on their site.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:41:37 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
Thanks Mike. 
My DA/SA  75B:   13# hammer spring with 2 coils cut off &  CZ Shadow hammer milled to fit the B.  Also a CGW reduced reach DA
My DA/SA 75 Shadow:  started with a 13# and changed to an 8.5# hammer spring,  CZ Comp hammer,   also a short reset disco.

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 04:51:28 PM »
Trigger return spring failure rate has a lot to due with lubrication.  I now put a drop of oil on my trigger return spring every week.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 12:00:26 AM »
I run mine wet too.  Prior to every shoot,  oil.

Offline Mike Russell

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 06:31:07 AM »
I run mine wet too.  Prior to every shoot,  oil.

While I don't do it prior to every shoot, I do lube it at every cleaning or before I know I'm going to run a LOT of rounds through it in one sitting.

anything