Author Topic: BD RESTO PROJECT--UP DATED--  (Read 8152 times)

SPO1SHADOW

BD RESTO PROJECT--UP DATED--
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »
A friend purchased this dog online. It was cheap enough and the outside looked about like any of the trade-ins you see on different sites. On the inside was a different story. This gun was so worn out that each time you pull the trigger the sear pin and the de-cocker pin on the right side of the frame move up in the frame holes. The sear cage moves a good 1/8" up when the trigger is moved rearward. The hammer hooks are gone and the sear is completely worn out. The barrel will need to be replaced and the trigger bar support spring is missing with both sides broken off. The firing pin roll pin is broken in the middle and the FP return spring is rusted to the front of the FP channel. The front and rear sights are damaged along with the broken and melted grip panels. In short he purchased a basket case. It's a good thing for him I have some replacement parts so I guess I will get started...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:47:38 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: BD RESTO PROJECT
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
Patiently waiting for more. If I can't do this myself, I may as well live vicariously thru you.

If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline BDG

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:23:42 PM »

It would be great to see the entire process. "Gun Rebuild/Refinish - 101"?
I am thinking I want to do the same thing and would love a true tutorial piece.
Either way, best of luck with your project.

Offline Continental Op

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:43:53 PM »
SP01SHADOW -
That looks exactly like mine right down to the lanyard ring.  It came from J&G Sales and was rumored to be an Israeli Police trade-in.  Although mine looks the same on the outside and is pretty grimy on the inside, the function has been just fine.  It's a great gun with character.  Good luck on your restoration.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 06:45:16 PM »
I think that gun may do better as a parts gun. It can be salvaged but at what cost? You may be able to get oversized pins but more than likely you'll have to weld the pin holes and re drill them. Barrel, and parts from CGW or CZC then bluing and grips you're probably looking at $600 +/-. I would probably do one for myself but it would be a life long keeper. It's like a scratch build 1911 I did for myself, $1350 frame/slide + premium parts, my labor if I built it for someone else.....$850 at least. $2200 for a custom and it is awesome. If I sold it, I may get $700 if I'm lucky. Not complaining, just stating facts.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:21:40 PM »
If I didn't already have a good supply of parts, a machine shop and welder I agree. It would not be worth the effort. The only thing I lack a lot of is free time so because I am not off for 2 weeks on this one it will be a slow one for sure but I think I can bring it back. I have disassembled it and sent the frame and slide to my NDT Department to have them Magnafluxed and X-Rayed to make sure I am not dealing with a cracked frame or slide. That would surely be the deal breaker. I should have them back tomorrow with the news go or no go. It's for a really good employee and friend so if all it takes is a little time and patience I'm in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:59:17 AM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline bang bang

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
I think that gun may do better as a parts gun. It can be salvaged but at what cost? You may be able to get oversized pins but more than likely you'll have to weld the pin holes and re drill them. Barrel, and parts from CGW or CZC then bluing and grips you're probably looking at $600 +/-. I would probably do one for myself but it would be a life long keeper. It's like a scratch build 1911 I did for myself, $1350 frame/slide + premium parts, my labor if I built it for someone else.....$850 at least. $2200 for a custom and it is awesome. If I sold it, I may get $700 if I'm lucky. Not complaining, just stating facts.

+1

my thoughts exactly.

but its the OPs time & $$$$.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »

+1

my thoughts exactly.

Sometimes you just can't attach a dollar value to the pride and satisfaction derived from breathing new life into something that starts out as sad looking as that gun does. I'd restore it too.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 09:55:16 PM »
With your apparent resources,  I'd be tempted too.

Another thought is using the frame as a Kadet Kit base. 

Offline straightwall01

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 10:06:01 PM »

It's for a really good employee and friend so if all it takes is a little time and patience I'm in.

What a great gift to give someone!

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 10:14:34 PM »
Really the only big ticket item here is the replacement barrel. I have several barrels that were dropped on their muzzles that I can recut and then fit to the slide. Other than the barrel we are talking some springs, surplus sear, firing pin and some custom sized frame pins and lots of elbow grease. I sat here and figured up the total parts minus the barrel and you are not looking at more than $200.00. He did not pay a big price for the gun so we will be within the $600.00 range when I am done as long as the slide and frame are not cracked. It won't be a race gun but certainly serviceable and not too hard on the eyes at that price.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:47:02 PM »

+1

my thoughts exactly.

Sometimes you just can't attach a dollar value to the pride and satisfaction derived from breathing new life into something that starts out as sad looking as that gun does. I'd restore it too.

Don't get me wrong, I have dumped some $$$$ into some guns that were worth nothing or $20 at best to anyone else. One was a shotgun, Stevens Model 94C worth $10-$20 tops but I put $50 in material and at least $75 labor to restore it. Makes no sense whatsoever, only a mad man would do that........method behind the madness, it was my fathers gun that I inherited when he passed in 1984 and the first gun I ever fired so did it make sense? It did to me, am I crazy......meh, jury still out on that. The experience gained, satisfaction in a job well done, making something old into something new again....priceless.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 10:49:38 PM »

+1

my thoughts exactly.

^^^This exactly^^^

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 08:11:40 PM »
The slide and frame passed the crack test with flying colors. I have the batteries in my camera charging so I will start in earnest tomorrow.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 04:47:37 AM »

The slide and frame passed the crack test with flying colors. I have the batteries in my camera charging so I will start in earnest tomorrow.
V?born?! Super!

anything