Author Topic: Wanting to carry but ...  (Read 2842 times)

Offline benq

Wanting to carry but ...
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
Stripped, cleaned and lubed pistol. Diassembled, cleaned and reassembled mags.

Shot total of 300 rounds of Magtech Sport 115gr FMJ, Freedom 124gr RN, Aguila 124gr FMJ and hand load 135pf 124gr Xtreme RN. OAL 1.145-1.150 in.

Experiencing 10% failure to feed. Occurs with both mags and with various rounds: rounds #1 through #14 all experienced issues.

I noticed if I place the barrel in the slide in the locked position, where the hood(?) of the barrel sits and covers the ejection port. Essentially ready for me to install the recoil spring assembly. The barrel will bind in the ejection port. I have to push the barrel to un-bind it.

When it fails to feed, I can pull the slide just slightly and the barrel will "pop" up and the round will feed.

So barrel hood binds in the ejection port and the barrel pops up when round gets freed.

CZ-USA will get a call tomorrow concerning this. Bummer.

On the bright side, I can punch a 9 round 2 inch group at 7yds under 5 seconds. IF you disregard the first shot and it doesn't suffer a failure.

Offline Jonesn

Re: Wanting to carry but ...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
Bummer for sure! I had just a couple feeding issues with my Rami 9mm (non decocker) in the first 50 to 75 rounds. Mine were failure to go to full battery or fully closed and ready to fire position. It has really worked itself out to 100% reliable and a GREAT CARRY PISTOLA that is VERY ACCURATE!! I'm sure mine was just a little overly tight and just needed to be shot. It did the trick!  Im sure CZ will set it rite! Sounds like a hard burr or imperfect machining of the lower barrel. Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

Jonesn

Offline benq

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »
So I just got back from the range and went through one hundred factory loads and fifteen Hornady Critical Defense.  I did encounter three feed issues but a push to the back of the slide resolved it.  This is much better than the first outing with it. No feed issues using the slingshot method.  Most importantly, the last fifteen rounds were my carry ammo and those are the ones that count.

Prior to today, I racked the slide for three to five minutes every night for week. I also ran my dummy rounds about hundred times through it. Also, I drenched the pistol in oil. So much that I got splatter on my glasses and had to wipe the pistol down of excess oil after every mag change.

In retrospect, I should never assume just because it is a CZ that it won't have any issues. It doesn't help that my P-07 and P-09 have never experienced a feed issue in 15k+ rounds and counting. So my expectations were somewhat unrealistic of the RAMI.

I'll continue my regiment of slide racking for a few more days and give it a final test before I decided to either carry or send it in for warranty work.

Offline Jonesn

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »
Id clean the crap out of it and make for certain the ramp is flawless, grab 200 rounds of FMJ and return to the range! It took about150 to 250 rounds thru my Rami before it felt "rite". FWIW my P09 was SLICK AS HELL from the very first trigger pull with ZERO hiccups with about 350 rounds down the pipe. Accurate as a rifle too! Turning out to be the Glock killr! Have a Glockaholic buddy that shoots IDPA and Ive already kicked his butt with the Rami now let the slaughter begin with the P09! I dont even shoot competitively either.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:13:50 AM by Jonesn »

Offline benq

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:44:19 AM »

Polished feed ramp and firing pin hole face of the slide to a mirror like finish. Upgraded mag spring to 10%+ spring for the 10rd mag.

After 100 rounds, the pistol ran without issue.  Looks like mine needed more TLC than I expected.

Offline benq

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:07:15 AM »
Here is a shot of the breech face after a few minutes of polishing.

Offline Heavy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
Congrats benq. Do keep us informed on future progress. Somewhat off subject here but wanted to ask you if your 10 round mag rattled when full, and if it did was the +10% mag spring the remedy as has been mentioned here before? If it did where'd you get it? I contacted Wolf and they told me they don't carry one for the rami. Thanks.

Offline benq

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »
Congrats benq. Do keep us informed on future progress. Somewhat off subject here but wanted to ask you if your 10 round mag rattled when full, and if it did was the +10% mag spring the remedy as has been mentioned here before? If it did where'd you get it? I contacted Wolf and they told me they don't carry one for the rami. Thanks.

Yes, a full 10rd mag rattles. In fact, my P-07 16rd mag rattles a bit but not as much. I didn't check after I added the stronger spring. The upgraded spring was one of the options I hoped would resolve the feeding issues. Since I also polished some areas and upgraded the spring, I'm unsure if it helped or not.

I'm lucky to have CZCustoms in my neck of the woods. Stuart and I compared the springs of a 10rd RAMI and a Compact +5% and +10%.  The +5% was the same length and had the same number of "turns"(if you get what I mean). The +10% had one extra turn which made it 0.75" to 1" longer. The +10% fit perfectly and I was still able to get the 10th round in.

I'll load my mag up tonight, check for rattling and post my findings here.

Offline Jonesn

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 05:02:36 PM »
Awesome that the Rami is operating better now! Nice polishing job bro!

Offline Googe1227

• Chiraq CZ Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 06:13:09 PM »
Glad you got it worked out!

Offline benq

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 08:51:54 AM »

To follow up on the magazine rattle, my SD ammo is Hornady Critical Defense 115gr and with my RAMI I load 10+1. I normally tap the mag to ensure all the rounds are set flush. I can get them to rattle sometimes but not all the time.  If I pop the top round out and re-insert, a few more light taps and the rattle goes away.  For reference, my previous carry, P-07 with 16rd mag( can only get 15 in there) does rattle.  There is enough noise in my world that makes it the least of my concerns. But I get that it can be annoying.  I was able to make the 14rd mag rattle also.   :o

Offline Heavy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
Figured it was worth asking if you happened upon a remedy. Thank you for taking the time to try it and posting the results.

anything