Author Topic: Tried out a low cost Beretta 92 Centurion clone.  (Read 2447 times)

Wahoo1 again

Tried out a low cost Beretta 92 Centurion clone.
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:38:36 PM »
Picked up a Chiappa M9 Compact (Turkish Beretta 92FS Centurion). It is exactly the same inside as an Italian Beretta 92, meaning roll pin instead of "dog bone" pin holding the hammer spring

Changed out the hammer spring to a "D" version and installed an Elite II hammer. Did a little polishing on the trigger, sear, and hammer engagement surfaces. Ordered a set of Hogue grips and will stop any more modifications until I've run a few 100 rounds through it.

Once it was cleaned and oiled (they ship DRY) the out of the box trigger was smoother than a US made Beretta M9 and slightly lighter. The finger grooves make the grip feel slightly smaller, it might be the grip panels are thinner too. The screws were all treated with a thread lock compound much like blue loc-tite. The chamber looks to be chrome lined but the bore doesn't seem to be. The safety/de-cocker is a little tighter than a US made M9, The magazines drop free, and interchange with any M9/92FS magazine, they're made by MecGar and marked made for Girsan. The finish is very nice, smooth and even, but a dull rather than the semi-gloss finish on my US made M9, more like the finish on my Italian Centurion.

After the mods I dropped 21 ounces off the DA and 8 off the SA trigger pull, got a little smoother. 3 pounds 10 ounces SA and 6 pounds 9 ounces DA.

First 100 rounds fired at 5 and 10 yards.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: Tried out a low cost Beretta 92 Centurion clone.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:15 PM »
That looks pretty good. I just can't get used to the 'up for fire' safety tho
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 10:08:14 PM »
It did take a little getting used to, when the Army took away my issue 1911 and handed me an M9. Now I just de-cock the pistol and leave the safety off, like I would on my. SP01 Tactical, P01, PCR or Sig P series pistols. I plan to convert the safety to a "G" style de-cock only at some point.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:24:51 AM by Wahoo »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
Not bad - heard good things about Chiappa, but also they tend to be pricey. The Beretta 92FS was a HOT rental on our range, and fun to shoot. Too big to conceal, but a fine sidearm - that looks like it is too. Anything to make the grip smaller has got to be a benefit, as it felt very wide. Thanks for sharing!

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
It's close in size to my Sig M11A1, I carry that pistol about 1/3rd of the time with no trouble. I'll post a side by side photo this evening.

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 07:28:20 PM »
The Girsan is 1.36 inches wide, my M11A1 (with Hogue grips) is 1.38, not much difference. The Girsan is longer, but the same height. The Sig's grip is shorter front to back.

Sorry this one's out of focus, battery died so I have to wait before reshooting:

anything