Author Topic: P09 not cycling to SA  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Tyson0525

P09 not cycling to SA
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »
I went to the range today and fired about 200 rounds through my p09. It shot great as always, but there were 3 times that during a string of shots, the pistol failed to cock all the way back to single action. It has about 5k rounds through it and have never had this problem until today. I am pretty sure it was an ammo problem as I was using magtech which I have never used before. Just wondering if anybody here has had this problem? It also has the CGW hammer.

Offline copemech

Re: P09 not cycling to SA
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:19:04 AM »
Are you saying the hammer did not lock back in the cocked position?

Did the fired rounds eject normally? Did the gun feel normal when it fired? And not a light load?

I am not aware of issues with that round, although possible. However I am aware of a potential issue called sear bounce, in which case the sear may not catch the hammer in the rear position as I understand. I have not experienced this so cannot comment further.

I would consider calling David at CGW to discuss the possibility of needing the heavy sear spring install. I have them, just for insurance in both mine. O0

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
Agree w/ Copmech, but recommend trying a different brand of ammo first to eliminate that as a potential cause.

Most of my failure issues result from ammo & not the gun
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Tyson0525

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
Everything else was normal, it just went to DA while shooting. I will see about getting a heavier sear spring. But I did take my s&w shield out this morning and finished off the box of mag tech ammo I had left. I also had 4 separate occasions that the slide didn't lock back on empty which has never happened before. I am quite certain the ammo is the problem and I won't be buying it again. Thank you for the replies.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:36:25 AM by Tyson0525 »

Offline FakeCZName

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
I don't know about Magtech ammo being the problem. I have used it before with no issues. Your P-09 should eat everything factory loaded with brass or even aluminum case and spit it out and still function.

That hammer not going or not remaining at full cock should not happen with any ammo. If you got full ejection and reload on all those rounds, the hammer not cocking all the way back sounds like a sear-spring or sear related problem to me.

Call Dave at CGW, since you have a CGW hammer. Bet he can diagnose the real problem and fix for it.

Offline Jamiethesquid

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »
Sounds like a timing problem. I was having similar issues. I installed the extra power sear spring and the oversized roller bearing. Problem solved.

Jamie

Offline Tyson0525

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:22:35 PM »
Thank you guys, I will be calling him for sure on monday.

Offline copemech

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »
Everything else was normal, it just went to DA while shooting. I will see about getting a heavier sear spring. But I did take my s&w shield out this morning and finished off the box of mag tech ammo I had left. I also had 4 separate occasions that the slide didn't lock back on empty which has never happened before. I am quite certain the ammo is the problem and I won't be buying it again. Thank you for the replies.

Sounds like the ammo would be a good place to start! You see, some guns are just heavily sprung and really do not function well with a lot of the run of the mill practice ammo as compared to the full powered loads they were built for, and the P09 is one of those guns for sure!

I found major variances in the factory practice loads that I tested. The difference in a 115gr round at 1050 fps and at or near 1200fps is significant to the operation of the gun, and all this without getting into the limp wrist factor  which happens in some cases.

I do use the CGW #18 recoil spring in the P09 btw, and it still requires Good ammo.

anything