Author Topic: All Floridians - Urgent Action Required  (Read 1785 times)

Offline racoonbeast

All Floridians - Urgent Action Required
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
 Our Open Carry Bill has passed in the House. It is sitting on Senator Diaz de la Portilla's desk. He heads the Senate Judiciary Committee and gets to decide if the bill will go to the Senate floor for vote, or die in his committee. Despite the fact that his guy claims to be a Republican, he has stated plans to let it die in his committee. His rationale is nuts. He believes that people walking around with visible guns might negatively impact the tourist trade. I grew up in Vermont, where the largest industry is tourism. Vermont has always allowed unfettered open carry of anything. In my fifty years there, I never have heard of even one incident of it negatively affecting tourism.

I have written him several times, and will continue to do so. All Floridians, please go to this page https://www.flsenate.gov/senators/s40 , find the "send email" on the left of the screen, and urge him to allow the people that we elected to represent us vote on this bill. I have a real problem with one guy deciding what our elected representatives can vote on, and what they can't.

With some dissenters, the Florida Association of Sheriffs are against this bill. But the Florida Association of Police Chiefs firmly support it.

I don't care if you personally support this particular mode of carry or not. Personally I probably would not openly carry. But the Second Amendment says that I have a right to keep and bear arms. Any restrictions on this is a restriction on yours, and my rights promised us under the Constitution. A little restriction here, a little restriction there, and somewhere down the road the Second Amendment will die the death of a thousand cuts.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: All Floridians - Urgent Action Required
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:47:59 PM »
But the Second Amendment says that I have a right to keep and bear arms. Any restrictions on this is a restriction on yours, and my rights promised us under the Constitution. A little restriction here, a little restriction there, and somewhere down the road the Second Amendment will die the death of a thousand cuts.

Amen brother. 

Offline pcator13

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
Just wrote my Senator an email about this.  Too me this not a little thing.  I believe that Florida does not even allow a flash of your carry.  If I remove my carry to go into a Post Office or doctors office where they are not allowed and re-holster when I leave and get caught,  I can be charged with open carry.   Which means I can be charged with breaking a law while trying to prevent breaking a law.

Life is hard and then you die and sometimes it's Just Bull Crap.

Offline czharry

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:41 AM »
Diaz de la Portilla is and has been the problem. Below is part of a news report about it. Even though de la Portilla is a [R], he's from the Miami area which is lousy with liberals and gun control trolls. They have got to get rid of him.

Also, the law that now "allows accidental or momentary display" of your concealed gun was too ambiguous, leaving the definition open to whatever the cop feels. We have a lot of "retired" NYC cops (and citizens) that cannot accept the fact that we respect the 2nd Amendment here in Fla. If you close your eyes whenever the Sheriff of Broward County speaks, you would think you're in Brooklyn, NY.

Anyway, this is the reason for the Open Carry legislation we are trying to get passed.

An amendment added Tuesday to the open-carry bill also would let lawmakers with concealed-carry licenses hang on to their guns during legislative meetings and on the House and Senate floor.
?Just a guess of mine, without talking to anyone in the Senate, this bill is already hostile to begin with over there, and now add to the fact that they can carry guns in the Senate chamber, I hoping that that turns out to be poison pill,? Moskowitz said.

Gardiner said. ?Sen. Diaz de la Portilla has already decided not to hear the campus-carry bill. It was his decision. And now I think he has some concerns about open-carry.?
- There's a storm coming -

CZ 75B  .40S&W
CZ 75B  9mm
CZ 50     x2
VZ 24
CZ 52     x4  (WTS)

S. Fla.

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
Just one more instance of what is AFU about our system of government.  Refusing to put a proposed law that has been approved by the House and sent to the Senate is not going to be heard????  I do not need a lesson on how the system works...HOW it works is my problem!!!  In addition......Senator Diaz de la Pain in the A$S,  should be removed by the Republican/Conservatives in the 36th district!!!!! 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline czharry

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
And of course, now Floridian gun owners have been told:
'Open carry is not going to happen,' Sen. Diaz de la Portilla says

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Miguel Diaz de la Portilla said Tuesday evening a proposal allowing 1.5 million people with concealed weapons permits in Florida to openly carry handguns is officially dead for the 2016 session.

"Open carry is not going to happen; it's done," the Miami Republican senator told reporters.

Diaz de la Portilla had expressed growing reluctance for weeks about holding a hearing on SB 300, saying last week it was "on life support."

It's among three gun bills he's killing this session by not granting them hearings in his committee, a powerful prerogative that committee chairman have.

Last month, Diaz de la Portilla said he wouldn't hear a similarly controversial bill that would allow concealed-weapons permit-holders to carry concealed on public college and university campuses. Also Tuesday, he said he won't hear a bill that would allow concealed weapons to be carried in Florida airport terminals. (It passed its first committee earlier in the day but it won't be heard in the House, so it was essentially dead anyway.)

?On all of these gun bills, I don?t believe any of them are necessary,? Diaz de la Portilla said.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2016/02/open-carry-is-not-going-to-happen-sen-miguel-diaz-de-la-portilla-says.html
- There's a storm coming -

CZ 75B  .40S&W
CZ 75B  9mm
CZ 50     x2
VZ 24
CZ 52     x4  (WTS)

S. Fla.

Offline Airacuda

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
Sent a short and to the point message.

Offline Ross7

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »
Good to know that one man, Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, knows what's best for the citizens of Florida. No need to let the people's duly elected representatives vote on the issue. ::)

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 06:58:31 PM »
Good to know that one man, Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, knows what's best for the citizens of Florida. No need to let the people's duly elected representatives vote on the issue. ::)

Senator De la Pain in the @SS thinks he is untouchable.  He has Florida big business, the tourist Industry and the backing (mostly the intimidation factor.....one of the benefits gained to run unopposed) of the majority of the two or three different factions of the Cuban Americans in southern Florida, especially the 37th district. He will not get a free ride next election as a strong democrat that is willing to give a little and become a slight bit more conservative sounding......(SOUNDING  at least during the campaign for the election) to entice dissatisfied republicans that have had enough of this tyrant.  If he ever decides to run a national campaign for US House or Senate ....he will be screwed by republicans voting against him just to spite his lone wolf crap he has played in the Florida Senate.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline Ross7

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 07:43:11 PM »
Yeah he seems pretty proud of himself, as he bragged to one of Bloomberg's sites...

Meet the Florida Republican Who Single-Handedly Killed Two of the NRA?s Top State Bills
http://www.thetrace.org/2016/02/florida-republican-thwarted-key-nra-bills/