Author Topic: SE or Summers Enterprises Cast Bullets  (Read 5756 times)

Offline IDescribe

Re: SE or Summers Enterprises Cast Bullets
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 07:32:32 AM »
Painter, when you asked how a light recoil spring could cause that break, I questioned my own understanding of what was happening when the slide cycled, so I pulled out my 75, cleaned off the back face of that lower part of the slide, smeared some red grease on the front side of the block in the receiver, cycled the slide, and the red grease transferred from the front side of that block to the back side of that piece on the slide.  Then, to make sure the grease wasn't on too thick, decreasing the distance between those two parts and producing a false result, I repeated the test with a very thin smear of lipstick and with the same result - lipstick transfer.  Those two surfaces make contact when the slide cycles.  When you install one of those little polymer recoil buffers, doesn't it serve as a buffer between those two contact points? 

As far as being surprised that this sort of break doesn't happen more often, the recoil spring spreads that recoil energy out over time, and your body sucks all of that energy up during the slide stroke, then, so as long as the recoil spring is of appropriate strength, by the time those two surfaces impact, there's not all that much energy left, and the impact should be relatively light, and it may even fall short of impact entirely.  On the other hand, if the recoil spring is too light... SLAM!

I am not a gun smith, and all of this is based off of observation and interpretation.  If I am completely wrong, please someone let me know.  But for now, the grease and lipstick transfers between those two surfaces seem like compelling evidence.

Offline painter

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
Your interpretation makes sense. I guess I never gave much consideration to a design that would allow rapidly moving metal pieces to physically stop each other. I would think that in a well designed, and properly functioning, pistol that those two surfaces would never come into contact or there would be many more instances of that occurring.

Learn something every day.  ;)
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 07:49:42 AM »

Learn something every day.  ;)

Let's not assume too much.  It's still possible I'm wildly wrong.    ;)

Offline painter

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 07:54:11 AM »
I'd like to hear what schmecky had to say on the subject. Maybe he'll pop in.

but not the ability.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 08:11:13 AM »
I messaged Stuart and David and asked if one could drop in to help sort this out.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »

Sorry to see that.  :'(

maybe the spring was never changed.

Gotta post a pic as I am proud of it so far... First complete build. A hungry 45

That sure is purdy
   Looks great.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline painter

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 09:03:20 AM »
I messaged Stuart and David and asked if one could drop in to help sort this out.
I also wonder if that could be repaired?

I've seen some amazing things done with a tig welder by a qualified weldor.

but not the ability.

Offline nicky

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »
I had spoken to David about it being welded & he said that it could be done but I would be better off tring to get a new slide. The weld may not hold up.

I contacted CZ-USA & was told that they distroy the slides from the pistols that come in & have to be replaced. Mentioned this to David & he said that they would sell it to a dealer & he would ask when he put in his next order. None were available.

Chances are slim getting a slide. It isn't like people are putting a Kadet on a 97b.

Been looking for a good use one at a fair price. I saw them when I didn't need one. That's the way it goes. A forum member has one for sale but he has an offer pending.

If I can't find something soon I'll just have to spring for a new one.

Now let's get back on track.

Anyone have any experiance with Summers Enterprise?

Offline schmeky

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 08:18:38 PM »
nicky,

I remember when we discussed this.  Very unfortunate and not at all common.  I will be on the lookout for a slide.  If you find one, CGW would do the 1911 bushing modification at no charge.  We hate to see a forum member with a broken CZ.

Offline nicky

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:22 PM »
Thanks David. That's really good of you. But I feel a person should be paid for his time & effort.

Offline vwpieces

• Bang, Bang, Bang
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 10:55:26 PM »
    That sure is purdy
   Looks great.

Ready for test fire. And for the record, the grips are CZ DW Cocobolo.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:59:05 PM by vwpieces »
Sorry, had to remove the list of firearms due to server overload. I hope you now have a more pleasant experience on this forum.

"Hey, do you want to try my Glock?"
No thank you. Want to try my CZ P-01?
"Hell Yeah, DoooD, thats sweet"

Offline berts

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 09:09:09 AM »
Just curious as to how the Summer's bullets worked out?  I was considering ordering some. There  prices are very good.

Offline whitecap

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »
I agree with berts. Makes me think of going back to uncoated lead heads. Anybody DIU coating? What would that add to the dia?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Well, I ordered 500 of the 125 grain 9MM bullets, 500 of the 180 grain .40 caliber bullets (opportunity to try and work up a heavy bullet load for the P07) and 500 of the 230 grain .45 caliber bullets.

Great prices.  They did have some comments on the 9MM bullets about keeping the velocity below 1050 fps for best accuracy.  Okay for a leak paper punching bullet.

We'll see.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?