Author Topic: Strange FTU (Failure to Unload)  (Read 1397 times)

Offline AR

Strange FTU (Failure to Unload)
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »
Newish P-07.  I have run 115gr target loads, Hornady Critical Defense and Duty, NATO, and 147gr without problems with loading, firing, extraction, ejection, unloading, etc.

I purchased the CorBon Pow'RBall 9mm+P 100gr for use in a Ruger LCR9mm (lighter bullet, defense specific, possibly less punishing to ). 
the web of my hand).

https://corbon.com/pow-r-ball.html

Realizing only later that it was +P, and Ruger LCR's shouldn't use +P anything, I put them in my P-07.  Have yet to shoot them, today WAS the day.

Dropping the mag before putting the pistol in the case for a trip to the range, I could not get the round in the chamber to unload.  Almost like it was too tight in there, or the extractor (which looks OK) wasn't picking up the case rim.

Taking the gun to a safe place, and with the slide locked back, I carefully tried to "rod" the round out from the muzzle  ???.  Not happy about doing this.  Wouldn't budge.

Taking a slim, long screwdriver, I was able to use the tip of the screwdriver as an extractor and back the round out of the chamber, safe'ing the pistol.

I'm taking it to the gunsmith this morning before I reload or shoot it, and I've put a phone message into CorBon (Mountain Time), but in the mean time wanted to see if anyone else had seen a FTU on a P-07 (extractor problem, tight chamber, issues with high performance ammo, etc.)
"Ten-round magazines are available, for those who live where the populace keeps electing idiots for legislators."
Jeff Quinn, gunblast.com
6/27/14

Offline benq

Re: Strange FTU (Failure to Unload)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:19:05 AM »

My P-07 Duty has a tight chamber but have not had issues with extraction. I have not shot any CorBon ammo before but mostly mainstream factory, Hornady and handloads.

I'd take the barrel out and perform a plunk test with that ammo, see if they are out of spec. Rounds should drop in and out of the chamber with ease and also spin freely without any resistance.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
I had Tula brass get slightly stuck in the chamber of my P-01 after not going fully into battery. Didn't feel a need for a visit to a gunsmith though. I measured the round when I got it out, cause for the problem was evident. Did you measure yours?

Offline AR

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »
Gunsmith didn't see any problem with extractor, rounds were a little tight on plunk test, no problem with other brands. I don't have precise enough tooling to measure accurately.

Called CorBon, they'd never heard of the problem, asked me to call back if anything came up. (What else should I have expected???)

I'm betting that the case was a little large, the chamber's a little tight, a small amount of wipe down oil...

Anyway, the CorBon's rounds patterned to the right of point of aim, Critical Duty's bracketed the point of aim, but were shot after the CorBon's so not a scientifically precise test.  All were acceptable for use.

No FTE's FTL's, etc, just ran, and ran well.
"Ten-round magazines are available, for those who live where the populace keeps electing idiots for legislators."
Jeff Quinn, gunblast.com
6/27/14

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
Take one of the Cor-bon rounds and color the bullet with a marker. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop the round in the chamber then spin it a turn or 2 and see if the marker gets wiped from the bullet by the rifling. The Cor-bons may be a tad too long for the CZ chamber.

Offline copemech

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:35:40 AM »
Any normal round should literally fall into the chamber itself as the brass is smaller, but if it binds into the last part the bullet is likely hitting the rifling in the barrel and that is not good. Either way is not good.