Author Topic: Sights -- Somebody has to complain about something  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Sooltauq

Sights -- Somebody has to complain about something
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:17:38 PM »
Got my P-01 and it has terrible sights, not as quite as bad as the almost totally useless low-profile sights on my PCR, but still pretty bad. I'm having my gunsmith replace both with basically the same Meprolight sights* that are on my CZ 97 and SP-01.

But I just wonder, why does CZ feel compelled to put bad sights on the P-01 and PCR? It's like buying a top-of-the-line Mercedes, and then finding out that the stick shift knob is a yellow styrofoam banana. I'd almost they rather not ship with those sights at all, but simply include a $10 gift certificate towards the sights that buyers want.

I'm griping about this because there is nothing else to gripe about, of course. Both were otherwise perfect out of the box and have functioned utterly flawlessly through a few hundred rounds each as I have expected, and never been disappointed, by all my CZs. But, man, those sights are terrible.

*I'm not saying that these particular sights are anything like the best out there, to each his own, but I merely like all my sights to be alike so that I get the same sight-picture no matter what I am shooting.
CZ 75 SP-01, 97, P-01, PCR, P-06, P10C

Offline Rmach

Re: Sights -- Somebody has to complain about something
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »
I agree with you. My new matte stainless CZ75b came with those tiny light green dots that are very hard to see with my aging eyes. I repainted the front sight with a larger white dot, and that improved the sight picture for me.

Offline bonknhead

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:00:27 PM »
I agree with you - the stock P-01 sights need at least a change on color.  I used a fluorescent white model paint on all the three sight dots when I first got my P-01.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

CZ 75 P-01 - Heavily Modified: Dawson Precision Tritium sights | CZ USA Aluminum Grips

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »
Those sights definitely detract from an otherwise fine gun. My P-06 shipped with Mepros, of course list price reflects that. As far as non-tritium nights sights go, the ones on my P-09 are amazingly bright when charged with a high power led. So bright they shine in direct sunlight.

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:46:26 PM »
Lots of fine guns come with crap sights.    That way they keep the price of the gun down for a part you will change anyway.  Most high end rifles don't come with sights.  Of the 3 guns I own, that still have stock sights, I plan to change all of them for what I want.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:49:30 PM »
Wow, that was a good idea!

I agree with you. My new matte stainless CZ75b came with those tiny light green dots that are very hard to see with my aging eyes. I repainted the front sight with a larger white dot, and that improved the sight picture for me.

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:51:45 PM »
My P-06 also shipped with Meprosights too -- actually, the P-06 is turning out to be the "hidden gem" of my collection, i.e., I didn't have particularly high expectations for it, but it's turning out to be the pick of the litter.

Those sights definitely detract from an otherwise fine gun. My P-06 shipped with Mepros, of course list price reflects that. As far as non-tritium nights sights go, the ones on my P-09 are amazingly bright when charged with a high power led. So bright they shine in direct sunlight.

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
Lots of fine guns come with crap sights.    That way they keep the price of the gun down for a part you will change anyway.  Most high end rifles don't come with sights.  Of the 3 guns I own, that still have stock sights, I plan to change all of them for what I want.

I don't know what you paid for your P-01.  But mine certainly wasn't inexpensive... And even plastic Glock sights are superior to the sights on the P-01.  I had a hard time hitting with them.  I have no problem hitting with Glock sights even out past 30-35yds.  The second I punched those crappy sights out and dropped Mepro's in it was night and day. 

If we're really complaining, out of the box, the trigger in the P-01 was basically horrid as well.  I installed the CGW pro-kit and it soon became one of my favorite handguns.  But out of the box stock.  I wouldn't even want it, if I had to keep it that way.  It's one of the guns I make new shooters start with now.  And you can just watch them light up when they hit exactly where they were aiming over and over and over.  With sights and trigger work.  It's amazing.  Without.  Meh. 

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »
Sooltauq, I couldn't agree more. I picked up my 06 well used but nice, mainly because the price was good and I figured it would be a decent back up to my 01. I expected it to be good, but not nearly as good as my 01 full of CGW parts and polished. Much to my surprise, it has me shooting .40 again - a lot. Soft accurate shooter for a .40 caliber.

Offline puddintame

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 11:10:06 PM »
that's my only knock as well with some cz pistols. I actually kept the rear sight on mine though. just blacked it out and installed a FO front sight. its a tack driver

Offline viking499

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:13 PM »
that's my only knock as well with some cz pistols. I actually kept the rear sight on mine though. just blacked it out and installed a FO front sight. its a tack driver

I did that on my P-01 and SP-01 and love it.

Offline Sooltauq

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 11:42:11 PM »
Earl -- same here, I bought my P-06 as a backup to my PCR, and now it's role reversal and the P-06 is my EDC. I was really trying to stay away from .40 and keep my collection limited to 9mm and .45 but now here I am buying .40S&W by the 1,000 case too. Just such a pleasant surprise to find a .40 that shoots as softly as a typical 9mm.

Sooltauq, I couldn't agree more. I picked up my 06 well used but nice, mainly because the price was good and I figured it would be a decent back up to my 01. I expected it to be good, but not nearly as good as my 01 full of CGW parts and polished. Much to my surprise, it has me shooting .40 again - a lot. Soft accurate shooter for a .40 caliber.

Offline bonknhead

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 01:03:48 PM »
I am encouraged by the rear sights that are shown on the new, yet unseen, P-01 Omega.  I wonder if CZ USA would sell them separately.  I can't find anything on them - if they're night sights, etc.

CZ 75 P-01 - Heavily Modified: Dawson Precision Tritium sights | CZ USA Aluminum Grips

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

Offline Towns

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »

I agree.  It is normal for me to replace the sights on pistols.  I think the stock sights on CZ's are acceptable.  And better quality than stock Glock sights. 

The stock sights on my Ruger SR9c were actually pretty good.  And my RAMI BD with meprolight sights were good. 

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ralphs007

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »
Got my P-01 and it has terrible sights, not as quite as bad as the almost totally useless low-profile sights on my PCR, but still pretty bad. I'm having my gunsmith replace both with basically the same Meprolight sights* that are on my CZ 97 and SP-01.
Do you mind telling me what your paying for the Meprolight sights and the installation? I really have a hard time seeing the stock sites,on my PCR. One more thing,are these sites okay for concealed carry?