Author Topic: Couple of problems with my CZ-83  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Bret

Couple of problems with my CZ-83
« on: May 27, 2005, 08:18:48 AM »
I have a satin nickel CZ-83 chambered in 9x18.  I've always fired FMJ's through it and have not had any problems.  Well, I went to the range the other day.  I took an assortment of 9x18 ammunition, including some of my own reloads.  All of the FMJ's functioned fine, but I had about 20% of the HP's fail to feed.  The HP's were actually getting stuck on the front top edge of the magazine just below the center of the bullets.  The bullets would get slightly deformed by the front top edge of the magazine.  My guess is that the FMJ's didn't have this problem because they are harder in the front and can't deform as easily.  Is the solution to this problem to file the front top edge of the magazine at a 45deg angle?  Or, should I do something else?  Also, the screws holding the grips must have backed out some, because the grips loosened up.  What would you suggest that I do to prevent this from happening?  Finally, does anyone make a replacement recoil spring for this pistol?  It's throwing the brass pretty far.

Offline ut83

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 08:23:32 AM »
Your problem is two fold with the mags and "nose diving"
The mags CZ uses for the 83 in 9x18 and 380 are the same mag and there isnt a hell of alot of clearance for the larger diameter round.....when the mag springs are getting weak this is what happens.  Id file the part down a tad to give yourself a little clearance and replace the mag springs with CZUSA stuff.

The grip screws on the 83 just work loose......it happens to every gun.....just use locktite on them.  It will stop.

Wolff doesnt make recoil springs for the 83, but Makarov (PM) springs work very well.  Ive used them on my 83's before.
Try a 19# first if you need a heavier spring use a 21#.

Shoot well..........hope this helps.

Cleft-Asunder

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 01:32:23 AM »
In regards to using locktit on the grips screws (which is an established and effective method of keeping the grips on), there is an alternative option. I don't like to use locktit on the grip screws since I take them off on occasion, so in come the o-rings.

Go to lowe's or home depot and find the appropriate diameter. I recommend using flat o-rings if you can find some in that size, but I haven't been able to myself so I just use the doughnut type, which works great.

Careful not to over-tighten, you don't want to totally crush the o-ring. The grips should stay on indefinitely now.

Cleft-Asunder

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 01:34:11 AM »
As always, check to make sure that the springs aren't installed back-to-front. The manual illustration represents them correctly.

Offline Bret

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 01:30:54 PM »
I happen to have a 19# Wolff Makarov recoil spring, so I'll give it a try.  I'll also file the front lip of the magazine.

burak-zrska

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 08:35:25 PM »
I would have to check as the only springs I may have are for the CZ 82.

Offline ut83

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 06:16:52 AM »
The 82 and 83 are the same gun.....thus the same springs.
Shoot well..........

burak-zrska

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:48:21 PM »
CZ 82 is in 9 Mak and was for the Czechoslovak Army.  Springs should be of same or similar strength.

anything