Author Topic: .380 and the 83  (Read 2966 times)

Cossack1

.380 and the 83
« on: September 10, 2002, 12:56:01 AM »
Okay Fellas,
 I was just offered a good deal (I think) on a NIB CZ83-$313.00. I really like this little gun, especially the one I'm looking at while I type, you know, the little number above with the brown grips and the finger grooves . Anyway, is this .380 round going to stop a maniac? I carry a CZ100 .40,but it prints too much on certain occasions and the 83 would do nicely. How about with Glaser Safety rounds?(do they make?)also,I'm good a hitting what I aim at.

I haven't been able to compare other CZs in order to address the size issue. I see that the 70 is posted here in the Pocket Gun section,is it much bigger than to 83?

Walt-Sherrill

.380 and the 83
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 04:10:43 AM »
Will a .380 stop a maniac?  It depends.

All evidence points to the fact that nothing will stop a determined opponent -- one who doesn't care about the consequences of your defense due to 1) experiece with gunshot wounds, or 2) impaired judgement due to drugs, etc. -- short of a well placed shot to the central nervous system.

My first real-world concern, if I have to use my weapon in self defense, is more about my ability to be calm and place my shots well.   I expect that when the stuff hits the fan, I'm going to be rushed, nervous, and scared.  I'm probably going to throw a couple of shots OFF target (or not directly on the optimum points.)

That being the case, I'm looking for the largest round I can shoot well under stress.   For me, that's 9mm.

If you shoot your CZ-100 (in .40) effectively, and I were you, I'd work harder at developing a different form of carry, at getting a tuckable holster, or trying to do something so that "printing" isn't an issue.  

If you can't find an alternative, then I'd consider the CZ-83.  (But, keep in mind, the CZ-83 isn't ALL THAT MUCH smaller than the CZ-100) in terms of concealability.    

And there's always the CZ-[7]5 compact.

Offline ut83

.380 and the 83
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 07:10:37 AM »
Its a mixed bag....:D   There are alot of +'s for the little 83 as a CCW.  I carried 2, a .380 and a Mak, for a while.  As both a primary carry and a BUG.  They do conceal and carry better than other guns...I cant compare the 100 to it first hand.  Ive shot them..but not carried them.  The 83 is the best natural pointing gun Ive ever fired PERIOD..meaning, when I draw the gun and instinctively bring it up "on target"...its where I need it to be.  Dependability is beyond what any gun has a right to possess...not an exageration either.  Very accurate and alot of other great things rolled in.  
The .380 is the only deterrent from it being carried all of the time.  Its a minimum for energies produces in most tests that determine a good defensive load.  
Walt was very correct in his point of hitting the target.  A 20mm cannon does no good if you miss.  The benefit of the 83 in this regard, is its a gun that once your used to it/acclimated to it...your hand wont want to put it down and you will likely shoot it very well...most people do.

As far as the general rule for CCW, "Carry the smallest gun with the most powerful/effective round that you can shoot effectively".  I feel the CZ100/PCR are more to this point.

Its up to you....Shoot well
I

Cossack1

.380 and the 83
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 12:23:44 PM »
Thank you all for the input.Considering all you've said, I think the 83 would also be a nice gun just to own, maybe that bonus I have comming up will go towards that and an alternate carry mode for my 100. I wish there were some "try before you buy" shops in my area, I like the"natural pointing" feature that ut83 talked about, I'm like that with a 1911, which is huge compared to pocket guns.The CZ83 has a classic look to it that I like. Every thing I've read about it in CZForums was good.
Thanks again!

Cossack1

.380 and the 83
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2002, 08:50:51 PM »
Oops, I got the prices wrong on my original post.The CZ100 was $313.00 , the CZ83 was $289.00

CZ75ID

.380 and the 83
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 09:33:28 PM »
It all comes down to Confidence. Would i rather a 10mm
or .45 on a hot summer day? Yes! The .380 gives me a smaller gun..but also smaller bullets.

I've carried Glasers in 9mm and .40..even .45.
.380 Glasers ,,in my opinion and research.

Will give Me at least 9mm ballistics out of the stubby
CZ83. I also have 12 shots in a compact nite-sighted
package. Enuff firepower for me to get to my bigger guns
nearby and very comforting as a backup gun.

I overlooked the .380, due some bad experiences with
guns other than the superb CZ83. The  accuracy and
ability for rapid fire controlled shots is very good.

I also like the idea that the CZ83 fits most everyone's
hand, its a uni-sex CZ. I'd not care to stand in front of anyone with such an accurate little piece of czech
engineering.

Offline SACamp

.380 and the 83
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2002, 05:44:17 PM »
Hello.  Perhaps the range report under "Reviews" will be of interest?

Best.

anything