Author Topic: Project poor mans open P09  (Read 26094 times)

Offline dave33

Project poor mans open P09
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »
Got a threaded barrel P09, a Springer Precision comp, moved my Burris FF3 from my .40 cal P09 to the new gun and "presto" poor mans open gun.

Best part is how its shoots.  First time shooting it yesterday yielded excellent results, 10 shots just over an inch at 25yds from a rest.

Ive never owned, shot, or loaded for a compensated gun before, I just know lighter bullets and slower powders make more gas to work the comp so I tried six different kinds of bullets over the slowest powder I have on hand right now, Accurate #7.  Best group was with 124gr Precision Delta JHP's, with a close second being 100gr RMR RN heavy plated bullets.  All six loads worked pretty well, better than I can get out of my XDM 5.25 anyway.  These P09's are so dang accurate for an off the shelf service grade pistol.  I wonder how much better, if any, it will shoot after Ive spent some time wringing out the most I can get from my reloads.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:25:13 PM by dave33 »

Offline ThompsonCustom

Re: Project poor mans open P09
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
I'd love to know how that comp works with major power factor loads.
www.AerospaceArms.com Current Deals:
Faxon 16" Pencil Barrel $148
21% off all magpul products code: "magpul"

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:41:47 PM »
Dave33--Great results!!  But I knew what to expect after a year of shooting bullseye matches with a P-09. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline welfare_train

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »
Does the comp increase the noise level coming back at you (the shooter)?

Offline dave33

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:59:26 PM »
Does the comp increase the noise level coming back at you (the shooter)?

Im sure it does but I use double protection, plugs and muffs, and nothing is too bad with all that.  But Ive been around a few compensated guns that were incredibly loud.

Offline eyetat

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »
Ok how did you get the comp on straight crush washer or timing washers ?.Poor mans open gun comp $100 w shipping of corse Cajun parts $218 plus shipping race hammer $88.00 +shipping slide cut $200. +ship red dot $400. Extra mags $200.gun 500 ish .$1500or so .STI 45 duty $1299 in 45 could not find a 40.looks close to a race gun  add a gas pedal a mag well almost good to go forgot about mag extension.Just sounds like a race gun to me.LOL
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:30:11 PM by eyetat »

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:54:22 AM »

+1

I also wish someone made a threaded .40 cal barrel for the P09.  And 170mm mag extensions.  At 140mm with CZCustom guts, you're at 24 9mm or 21 .40.  170mm should net 29 rounds, same as the 170mm Tactical Sport mags with CZCustom guts.

Offline dave33

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »
Ok how did you get the comp on straight crush washer or timing washers ?.Poor mans open gun comp $100 w shipping of corse Cajun parts $218 plus shipping race hammer $88.00 +shipping slide cut $200. +ship red dot $400. Extra mags $200.gun 500 ish .$1500or so .STI 45 duty $1299 in 45 could not find a 40.looks close to a race gun  add a gas pedal a mag well almost good to go forgot about mag extension.Just sounds like a race gun to me.LOL

Not sure if I just got lucky or if the Springer comps just fit perfectly but mine lined up almost perfectly straight, just had to snug it up a little and loctite it.

As for costs, Im no where near your numbers.  Comp was $85, no Cajun parts nor race hammer in it, $45 for a dovetail mount also from Springer so saved on shipping, already had a Burris FF3 on my other .40 cal P09, so just moved it over, but it was only $211 shipped when I bought it.  Did buy 3 extra mags, about $130 total, maybe a few bucks more for shipping.  Oh yeah, the gun itself was $483 at a LGS, which I think isnt too bad.

Most real 2011 open type pistols start around $3k and go up from there, in many cases way up, this is a real bargain for something to play with.  Im not suggesting its anywhere near the level of a true race gun, but its going to be a ton of fun to play with and totally reliable, and with a little work up dead on accurate too.

Offline dave33

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »

+1

I also wish someone made a threaded .40 cal barrel for the P09.  And 170mm mag extensions.  At 140mm with CZCustom guts, you're at 24 9mm or 21 .40.  170mm should net 29 rounds, same as the 170mm Tactical Sport mags with CZCustom guts.

I dont plan to shoot USPSA, at least not now, so Im not sure I will be shooting major loads but who knows what I will come up with while Im doing development.  Planned to shoot some tomorrow but forecast is for 100% chance of rain.  >:(  I will follow up with whatever I come up with as soon as I can.

Offline 85nick

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
very nice, i am thinking for following in your footsteps just with slight modifications and different optic. if you do more on load development please share.

Offline BrazeauRacing

• Brazeau Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »
Nice!  I took mine a little further and installed the Springer magwell and made my own kydex holster to fit the comp.  Just last night I finished modifying the factory ambidextrous safeties into extended safeties using a soldering iron and some sheet ABS plastic (and a LOT of time).  8) The P-09 is such a versatile gun!

The problem is... this is just a "fun" gun for me to toy around with, as I am really happy shooting in Production with my SP-01.  :P

Offline dave33

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »
Thats a fine looking shooter Brazeau!  My next goal, after load development, is to come up with a good "race" holster.  Right now Im using the same safariland generic holster I was before, as it fits decently and its open at the bottom so the comp doesnt matter.  Ive spoken to a local holster maker that is willing to talk about customizing something for me.  If that doesnt pan out you may see another thread about a poor mans open gun holster project. ;D

Offline Jamiethesquid

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
I would like to hear more about those safeties.

Jamie

Offline BrazeauRacing

• Brazeau Racing
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
Thats a fine looking shooter Brazeau!  My next goal, after load development, is to come up with a good "race" holster.  Right now Im using the same safariland generic holster I was before, as it fits decently and its open at the bottom so the comp doesnt matter.  Ive spoken to a local holster maker that is willing to talk about customizing something for me.  If that doesnt pan out you may see another thread about a poor mans open gun holster project. ;D

That's exactly what mine is... a poor man's race holster! :P I used a BOSS hanger mount as part of the molding process.

Offline BrazeauRacing

• Brazeau Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 05:30:13 PM »
I would like to hear more about those safeties.

Using a soldering iron, I just kept melting little dabs of ABS plastic onto the factory safety to build it up little by little (I squished the first layer of dabs into the factory polymer to get a good bond going), and then I spent time shaping it with the iron. Once I got the overall shape and size where I wanted it, I used some small needle files to finish shaping it and to cut the serration grooves into the top. Then I used various grits of sand paper to smooth it out. It took me about an hour and a half for each side.  :o
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:43:24 PM by BrazeauRacing »