Author Topic: UPDATED ..My 1994 CZ 85 (Pre B ) broken slide stop lever (Updated 4/28/17)  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Engine49guy

Greetings, Im a new CZ forum member and looking for some help,
While at the range recently noticed my 1994 Pre B CZ 85  right side slide stop / release lever was laying on the shooting bench...
Realized quickly the right side slide stop lever has a cylindrical shaft that is held in the frame by a spring clip and the R side lever shaft actually sheared off where it goes through the frame.
Unfortunately in the older CZ85 design this part actually also secures the slide stop / barrel pin in place so with it removed the lever falls out.

Called CZ USA and they were fairly sure that part is out of production but said call back sometime in the next week.

Has anybody encountered this issue and or know of a source for the older pre B right side ambi slide stop lever ?
Appears I cant upgrade it to a non ambi lever so stuck looking for the old design part.

Thanks and Best regards
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:32:10 PM by Engine49guy »

Offline painter

Re: Help ..My 1994 CZ 85 (Pre B ) just broke the R side slide stop lever
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
The old style r/h slide stop is in fact out of production.

You'll need to get a new style slide stop...maybe a set...and have the frame bored to fit the new stop.

My 96 is the same. I'm hoping mine holds up.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Engine49guy

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:54:11 PM »
Thank you for the info,  Kinda strange the part is out of production as the CZ 85 is a fairly common gun .
Is there any chance that an aftermarket sources exists ?
Hate to drill the frame out if I can find a lever but then again have never been a fan of that right side lever.

Offline bang bang

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:49 PM »
yupper,

and welcome.

mine did it years ago.

they just upgraded it to the newer size.

they told me at the time it was a "known issue" but fix em as they come in.

no problemo.

Offline Engine49guy

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:03:22 PM »
Did you send it back to CZ for the upgrade and if so was that a warranty fix or did they charge to fix it ?
If so do you recall what they charged....

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 07:30:22 AM »
Thank you for the info,  Kinda strange the part is out of production as the CZ 85 is a fairly common gun .
Is there any chance that an aftermarket sources exists ?
Hate to drill the frame out if I can find a lever but then again have never been a fan of that right side lever.
If you don't use the right side lever contact member 75Plus. He has made bushings to eliminate the r/h safety on 85 models. Most likely he could make you a bushing to eliminate the safety lever so you don't have to bore the frame.

but not the ability.

Offline 75Plus

• +12
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
EG, look at this thread. It will give you an idea of why the change was made. The original size was prone the type failure you just experienced and the new size has lead to an occasional, inconsequential, frame crack. The link takes you to my reply but the entire thread is worth a read.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=35635.15

Joe
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.”
George Washington

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline bang bang

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 01:06:37 AM »
Did you send it back to CZ for the upgrade and if so was that a warranty fix or did they charge to fix it ?

yes.  yes, 0

If so do you recall what they charged....

call them.  they won't bite.   

Offline Engine49guy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 06:42:10 PM »
Thank you for all the responses,   will call CZ on Monday morning and see if they will warranty it first.

I still have the small piece that broke off the slide release as the spring clip will retain it inside the frame , has me wondering if all else fails if smoothing the jagged broken edge basicly turning it into a bushing may be an option and could shorten the slide stop pin length
might be a viable alternative as well ?

Had never noticed the difference in the hole diameters between my SS CZ75B and the CZ85 until this happened.

Also have a complete CZ75 Kadet which supposedly uses a regular strength 9mm frame, perhaps swapping lowers is an option as well if the 85 is a weaker design and prone to cracking ?

Offline Engine49guy

Re: UPDATED .. 1994 CZ 85 (Pre B ) broken R slide stop lever :(
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 11:38:18 AM »
Sooo, finally got around to calling CZ customer service and its all BAD NEWS..

Basically not covered under warranty, They charge $95.00 to drill the hole larger,
 A new slide stop is another $35.00  (nothing wrong with the original just doesn't fit anymore when they do the mod.

Return shipping is included but the owner must UPS or FEDEX it there and thats another $65.00,

So since CZ doesn't make that $1.00 part anymore its basically a $200 repair......

Not too happy with CZ :(       

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: UPDATED ..My 1994 CZ 85 (Pre B ) just broke the R side slide stop lever
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »
In that case I'd get to know a local gunsmith. Surely there's one close by that can drill a hole.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline painter

Re: UPDATED .. 1994 CZ 85 (Pre B ) broken R slide stop lever :(
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »
Sooo, finally got around to calling CZ customer service and its all BAD NEWS..

Basically not covered under warranty, They charge $95.00 to drill the hole larger,
 A new slide stop is another $35.00  (nothing wrong with the original just doesn't fit anymore when they do the mod.

Return shipping is included but the owner must UPS or FEDEX it there and thats another $65.00,

So since CZ doesn't make that $1.00 part anymore its basically a $200 repair......

Not too happy with CZ :(     
Are you upset about the price they quoted you, the fact they won't warranty a 22 year old pistol, or that they don't stock an exact replacement part?

...and when was the last time you paid $1 for anything besides a cup of coffee at a gas station or a stamp?

but not the ability.

Offline Engine49guy

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 06:30:57 PM »
Update, so I basically bought a SS CZ75B and shelved my (Pre B) CZ85,
After retiring now have time in my life to address the issue and get the CZ85 back up and running.

Just disassembled both guns and compared slide stops, besides the 85 stop being longer the pins are the same diameter...
Only the right side frame hole on the (Pre B) CZ85 is larger and that is the dilemma ...

When I called CZ they said it involved drilling the left side frame hole but that would require using a slide stop with a larger pin,
Checked CZ's website but could find no such animal ...

After noticing that a .22lr casing is the exact diameter needed inside and out made a bushing in about an hour,
Inserted a fired .22lr case into frame with the primer side facing out and pushed all the way flush with the frame, Next just trimmed it to length inside the frame with a Dremel tool,  drilled the hole from the right side then sanded the face smooth...After that pushed it out and cut the spring groove,

VIOLA the CZ85 is up and running again !
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:56:41 PM by Engine49guy »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 10:06:01 PM »
Update, so I basically bought a SS CZ75B and shelved my (Pre B) CZ85,
After retiring now have time in my life to address the issue and get the CZ85 back up and running.

Just disassembled both guns and compared slide stops, besides the 85 stop being longer the pins are the same diameter...
Only the right side frame hole on the (Pre B) CZ85 is larger and that is the dilemma ...

When I called CZ they said it involved drilling the left side frame hole but that would require using a slide stop with a larger pin,
Checked CZ's website but could find no such animal ...

After noticing that a .22lr casing is the exact diameter needed inside and out made a bushing in about an hour,
Inserted a fired .22lr case into frame with the primer side facing out and pushed all the way flush with the frame, Next just trimmed it to length inside the frame with a Dremel tool,  drilled the hole from the right side then sanded the face smooth...After that pushed it out and cut the spring groove,

VIOLA the CZ85 is up and running again !

Great solution!

I converted a CZ 75 Compact to a CZ 85 Compact clone a few months ago (I have a Pre B CZ 85 and really like it but wanted a smaller gun for carry).  I called CZ Custom and they told me the new CZ 85 right side slide release is larger in diameter than the Pre B versions.  The fellow I talked to thought it was about reliability and the newer ones were made larger to address that issue (thicker walls = stronger slide stop).

If my Pre B CZ 85 every breaks the slide stop I'll drill the frame out for the later version.  Till then I'll just keep it as is.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Engine49guy

Didnt realize it was the right side that CZ was talking about enlarging...kinda makes sense the part was enlarged to make it stronger,

Really never liked the ambi slide release so kinda prefer it gone anyways