Author Topic: Anyone else think this is nuts?  (Read 37391 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Anyone else think this is nuts?
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:47:27 PM »
I want to try hunting coyote with the Scorpion. I can get good accuracy out to 100 yards, and the round, properly loaded, should have enough oomph out of that 7.5 inch barrel. The XTP load gives 1200 FPS with a 124 gr bullet.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Anyone else think this is nuts?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:47:27 AM »
You'll have to be good at hiding and calling. 

No reason why a 9MM hollow point shouldn't "do in" a coyote.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:13:27 AM »
I have a friend who is an avid coyote hunter. He tells me scent control and camo are critical. As for bringing them in closer than 100 yards he says it's doable with the young ones. After their first year they wise up. He's constantly changing up his calls. At least that's his experience with coyotes in East TN. Of course, with coyotes the challenge is the whole point of the exercise. I'm dying to go as well, but haven't had the time to dedicate.

Wahoo1 again

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 10:09:27 PM »
Coyotes are remarkably tough critters, I wouldn't take a shot over 50 yards with a 9mm carbine. I've hit 3 or 4 at 75 to 100 yards with a 125gr SJHP 357mag fired  from a 20 inch barreled carbine. Every one of them ran off 200 to 300 yards and required a finishing shot when I walked up on them. All were shot through the lungs and were down and bleeding out but not dead 5 to 10 minutes after being hit.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »
That's not good - I don't want them to suffer, just die.

Offline BDG

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »
I think the challenge to call the Coyotes inside 50yds to get your kill shot will be worth the effort. I have a buddy that successfully hunts coyotes exclusively with a shotgun so you can get them close enough to take humanely. 

Offline Franz Maurer

• http://youtu.be/dtUdllX5Vpo
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »
I want to try hunting coyote with the Scorpion...

You eat dog ?
75B .40 ; P-01 ; kadet2 ; '94 witness .45 - slim nose 1of999 ; samopal vz.58 ; tin foil hat.

Offline Kolholznik

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 07:48:54 AM »
My brother has a farm about 40 miles South of Richmond, VA.  He and I have been using our scoped AR's with good effect out to 100-150 yards for the past couple of years.  He has a golf cart and (don't laugh) an Army surplus camo net for (he says) a Jeep.  The thing is big enough to cover a Deuce-and-a-half but once we get it set-up, it provides a remarkably good blind.  We have both gotten pretty good at calling them in, too.  Coyotes have fairly predictable feeding patterns and are opportunistic - they won't pass-up what they think is an easy meal.  Neither will I, for that matter!  ;D

I can also speak from personal experience that coyotes are extremely tough critters, even when zipped by focus fire from two AR's at <100 yards.  We both have switched to .308 Varmint set-ups this year.  Our theory is that it shouldn't take more than one shot from either my CZ 550 or his Remington 700 PSP but, I'll be honest, nothing surprises me about this pest anymore.  I've seen them hit, roll, get-up and run off after a solid hit from a 5.56mm round.  We'll see if they do that after a .30 caliber?     

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
I've been given enough from all sides to make me reconsider my czoice of coyote killers...maybe the CZ 527M/CSR would be a better idea. :) A 125 grain soft point stepping out at 2300 FPS might do a better job.
What 5.56mm ammo were you using, if you don't mind me asking?
Franz, we don't eat "dog", (coyotes aren't dogs), but we do hunt varmints and pests. Coyotes do huge damage to livestock around here, and I have friends with goat farms and cattle ranches out here. Coyotes have been known to attack and eat a calf while it's still being born.

Offline Kolholznik

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:57:04 PM »
Various types of FMJ.  We got a good deal on some Israeli-made stuff called, "Freedom USA" that was very accurate and loaded pretty hot. 

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 02:52:35 AM »
Ah...wonder if a soft point might work better. Hmm....

Offline Kolholznik

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 06:37:43 AM »
We tried a few different kinds of .223 HP/SP and just weren't getting the accuracy we needed out of those 16" bbl AR's but, yeah, I think it would've made a difference.

Offline Franz Maurer

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »
Franz, we don't eat "dog", (coyotes aren't dogs), but we do hunt varmints and pests. Coyotes do huge damage to livestock around here, and I have friends with goat farms and cattle ranches out here. Coyotes have been known to attack and eat a calf while it's still being born.
It's a standard question I ask coyote hunters
Some don't take it well and hilarity ensues...
You're legit.

I hear hornady's vmax (223) works well on these not dogs
75B .40 ; P-01 ; kadet2 ; '94 witness .45 - slim nose 1of999 ; samopal vz.58 ; tin foil hat.

Offline BDG

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 02:24:57 AM »
It's a standard question I ask coyote hunters
Some don't take it well and hilarity ensues...
You're legit.

I hear hornady's vmax (223) works well on these not dogs

I have never forgot learning this fun fact in high school US History...  "Lewis & Clark's Corps of Discovery ate over 200 dogs while traveling the Lewis and Clark Trail". While Meriwether Lewis reportedly enjoyed the meat, William Clark was noted as abstaining from K9."
I have never eaten a Coyote or K9, if there is a difference...But, if coyote has the flavor of a feral or wild hog I would not hesitate to sample it.

Offline Mackay Sagebrush

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »
As another poster mentioned, yotes can be exceptionally tough animals. I have been amazed more than once in regards to the amount of damage that they can absorb and still run off.

If all I had was a 9mm, I would use it, but (my personal opinion) I strive to give the animal a quick clean kill if possible, and therefore would skip it in preference to more traditional choices, like the .223, 6mm, etc. Under 50 yards, a shotgun, properly choked, with the right load is pretty stellar too. That said, the majority of the coyotes I have shot have been far beyond 50 yards.

.223 Tikka with handloads using a 52 grain SMK.

anything