Author Topic: Dot Torture Drill  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Sean-82

Re: Dot Torture Drill
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »
Big fan of the dot torture drill, haven't done it in a while. Watched the Haley Venti video last week and thought it looked like an excellent exercise. Hoping to try it out in the near future.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 02:08:30 AM »
I ran the TDA Dot Torture again today.  I used my IPSC shot timer app on my phone to time the drill.  I recorded the time for each string of fire and totaled it at the end.  I didn't race through the drill but I did push myself to run through the drill as fast as I was comfortable.  I didn't clean the targets but I did significantly better than the first time running the drill.

97BD:  Score 46, Time 280.69 seconds
SP01:  Score 48, Time 285.73 seconds

My SP01 made me a liar today.  I was shooting it really well today.  My only misses with the SP01 were on the weak hand only string.  I had a couple near misses, the bullets broke the target dot so I counted them.  During the drill with the 97BD I had one shot let off before I was totally ready.  I also had another that I lost focus and tried to force the shot.  I was able to call both as flyers right away.  It's amazing how mental this sport is, you can lose focus and it all can go south instantly.

97BD Target:

SP01 Target:

Cheers,
Toby
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:34:20 PM by armoredman »

Offline OlegG

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 07:36:08 AM »
Great performance, tdogg! Slow and steady does it. Clean the target, then increase speed and/or distance. My hat's off to you getting such results in DA/SA modes.

Online parhis

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »

Sp01 shadow. Shot at 5 meters (5,4681) yards

Offline tdogg

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:41 AM »
So I ran my TSO on the Dot Torture drill today.  I haven't run the Dot Torture drill in ~6 months.  My results were acceptable.  I tried to run too fast on most dots and my score showed it.

TSO:  Score 38, Time 142.34

This was my first run through a standard Dot torture drill (SAO).  Up to this point I've been running the TDA drill.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline tdogg

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 02:17:41 AM »
Got out to practice today and ran another Dot Torture drill with my TSO:

Shaved off over 20 seconds off my last run with the TSO and kept the same score.

TSO Score: 38, Time: 120.38

I wasn't seeing the front sight well today.  I was shooting in the shade of trees and it was varying light.  It was messing with my vision.  This gun is superbly accurate and makes up for my excuses.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline Mick-S

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
I have these targets in red in a PDF file. I took the regular black and white and colored it in. I don't have anywhere to host the files but anyone wants to post it here I would be happy to email the files to them. just send me a PM with your email address.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »
I have these targets in red in a PDF file. I took the regular black and white and colored it in. I don't have anywhere to host the files but anyone wants to post it here I would be happy to email the files to them. just send me a PM with your email address.

PM sent.  I'd be happy to post it.

Great drill, I start every range session with the TDA version.  It tests your ability to mentally focus as much as your physical marksmanship skills.  I have cleaned it at 3 yards with Kadet kit, but not yet with 9 mm.

Offline Mick-S

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »

PM sent.  I'd be happy to post it.

Great drill, I start every range session with the TDA version.  It tests your ability to mentally focus as much as your physical marksmanship skills.  I have cleaned it at 3 yards with Kadet kit, but not yet with 9 mm.

On the way.
Mick

Offline Mick-S

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »
Here is mine from today. Need work in several areas.  :)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:55:13 PM by Mick-S »

Offline baldrage

Offline tdogg

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »
Many thanks!

I will have to try out the red version next time out.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Ran a Dot Torture - aka "The Humbler" - the other day and had some interesting results. I really need to do this more often.

First up, I ran my new M&P (picked up one of the Gen Ones that Cabelas was blowing out). I ran it through a Dot Torture right after I got it and noticed that a "drive the dot" sight picture resulted in the hits being an inch low at 3 yards. I was pretty happy with the results with the medium grip panels installed, but it took me forever to get a sight picture. Just didn't point naturally at all, and the weak hand stage hurt - I dropped one completely and almost dropped another:

Got out my trusty CZ75 and got much better hits - and I was able to rattle them off a lot faster.

Hadn't shot my carry gun in forever, so I ran my CZ75 Compact next. The weak hand gave me a little trouble again, but I blame that squarely on David Milam. His trigger job is so insanely light that I cranked off one of the shots way before I was ready. Almost got me on #6 too.

Had enough for one more run, so I thought I'd see if I could do better with the M&P being warmed up and with the large grip inserts. Um... nope. Barely even got one of the weak hand shots on target, although the group wasn't terrible. Almost dropped the first shot on #2 when I forgot the high 12 o'clock hold. I managed to push it a little faster than the first M&P run, but it still never felt right.

I'm not going to be trading Cs & Zs for Ms & Ps anytime soon!

Offline tdogg

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 01:32:41 AM »
Mighty fine shooting there.  I wouldn't give up any of my CZ's either.

I haven't been practicing at all lately.  I need to get out and shoot more.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline Genin

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »
I do the dot drill and it makes me both sad and eager. Sad that it is so damn hard for me to clear it (seriously I don't go past 3-5yards honest), and eager to get better every damn time. I hate and love that drill. Freaking horrible awesome thing.