Author Topic: Dot Torture Drill  (Read 10817 times)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
Dot Torture Drill
« on: March 21, 2016, 02:35:37 AM »
So I made it out today and tested my CGW bushing and shot both my SP01 Tactical and 97BD.  I posted the bushing results in the CGW bushing thread.

I also did the TDA Dot Torture Drill (DA/SA) for the first time.  Boy was I humbled by the drill.  It was really good to be forced to slow down and focus on the accuracy.  I'm used to the USPSA speed game and I generally don't focus on the accuracy but rather the speed.

I did the drill at 5 yds and now that I've done it I would have started at 3 yds.  My first dot with the 9mm was a wake up call I couldn't hit the dot!  I had to really slow down and focus on the fundamentals:  Grip, Front sight, Trigger, Follow through.  Once I swallowed my pride and slowed down, I did better.  There is still plenty of room for improvement.  I will do this again during my practice sessions.  I can see how this will really improve my precision and hopefully it will translate to higher hit factors in USPSA.

This drill also reinforced my preference for the 97BD, I just plain shoot that gun better! Even though the score doesn't show it, I find it easier to shoot the 97BD.  I really want to know how I would shoot it with the CGW 1911 bushing mod but I don't want to mess it up!  Maybe I will just have to purchase another one and get the mod done on that one.

Here are my targets from both the SP01 and the 97BD:

I highly recommend folks try this drill out.  I'm sure you will learn something about your shooting that you can work on.

Cheers,
Toby
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:33:09 PM by armoredman »
This forum rocks!

Offline pacman59

Re: Dot Torture Drill
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »
It's a great, and humbling, drill - don't feel bad at the results, especially because of what you're used to shooting (USPSA/Competitive Pistol). It's easy to just focus on the A/-0 zones and go for speed.

I think you did great for the first time and, especially considering you started off at 5 yards. If you keep at it, not only will your marksmanship improve but you're game will improve too. Keep having fun!
 ;D ;D ;D 8)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »
Yeah on the first dot I treated like the buzzer went off and that failed miserably.

I was trying to push myself to go as fast as I could while still feeling confident that I would hit the dot.  Obviously I have some work to do in the accuracy department.  If I were to take my time and slow way down I would score a perfect score every time.  I could see how increasing the distance would dramatically increase the difficulty level and the time would have to increase accordingly.

I plan on performing this drill again during my infrequent practice sessions.  It will be interesting to track my progress as I practice with the drill.  I should track how long the drill takes to complete as well.  That would probably be a better indicator than the score.  I could calculate the drill hit factor and track that :)!

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »
Looks like a god drill.  You can also Google Travis Haley's "Venti" 100 shot wake up drill. Used reenforce different parts that build technique and identify areas to work on, early in a shooting session.  There is a YouTube video of him going through it and explaining it.  Similar idea though with 1" circles at 3yds. 

Most folks would dismiss such short range shooting as being too easy.  But "Most folks" haven't tried the drill either. ;)

Training only in the things you do well limits us too much. Train until you screw up, then you know what you need to fix.

Offline Kolholznik

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »
I like it! This would be an excellent timed drill in preparation for my weekly bowling pin and steel plate matches - shooting that challenges not only accuracy but also speed and target acquisition.  Good stuff!

Offline OlegG

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 12:59:55 PM »
To the OP: Looks like you've shot this drill from 5 yards with both pistols. Considering the distance, you should not feel humbled. The Dot Torture drill is designed to be shot from 3 yards with no time pressure, and only AFTER you have mastered it at 3 yards - cleaned the target - you should be moving to either longer distances or timed shots. So, don't beat yourself up - good job trying this drill for the first time.

Offline Andres B

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
 Did the drill to with my P-09 from about 3 meters. Target printed on A4.
 Well, man, this, sure, IS humbling...
 First 50 rounds didn't exactly went where supposed to.
 Second set was much better. Still all over the dots, but score in 40-ish.
 I dunno, was this drill meant that way, but I did every shot from draw in DA. And to hit something in DA, you just have to squeeeeeze the trigger:)
 Fantastic drill.

Offline OlegG

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »
Andres,

Doing the drill in the TDA (Traditional double-action) mode is a great added challenge. So, 40-ish with the regular Dot Torture target is good shooting!
To help, there is a version of the drill developed specifically for TDA. See the link to the drill and the TDA target at Todd Green's site:

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

The TDA drill is not drastically different from the regular Dot Torture for striker-fired or SA semi-autos, but is geared toward the DA/SA handguns.
Hope this helps.

Offline Andres B

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »
 Thanks, Oleg

I dunno, maybe it was 30-ish. But, nope. Missed 4-5 and messed up on dots 9 and 10, probably forgetting which dot to shoot after reload:) Definitely have to work on DA. And what is best part of this drill- its interactive. You see in real time, what you're doing. I counted 17? draws, what you have to do during this drill, 3 reloads not counting those related to magazine size. In IPSC L1 say, 4 stages, about same rounds, you draw 4 times max, do 2-3 reloads at best and get your results after all is ended, not knowing, where did you messed up. And you have to do some running also:)))))) All sweatty n stuff.

Offline Lemming

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
Of course,  you can practice an infinite number of draws and reloads in dry fire - which is much cheaper than practicing them with  real bullets

Sent by Jedi mind control

Offline Winn

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
I ran across those targets in Vegas. There fun to shoot my first time was not that good but had a good time with friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OlegG

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:42:47 PM »
So, this is my first "cleaned" Dot Torture target with my CZ-75B SA. Obviously, I am proud of it  :) It was preceded by many a target, which did not look as good.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »
Nice shooting!

Where did you get the red targets?  I may do better with the red target sight picture.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline OlegG

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:29:34 AM »
tdogg,

You can order the red targets from EZ2C Targets

Or you can use the target I made myself. I have a number of targets, which print on 8.5x11 paper but I can't figure out how to upload PDF or PowerPoint files to the forum. If you want, send me a PM and I will send you some targets by email. Word of advice: printing color targets on your personal inkjet printer at home gets expensive fast. In the long run, it's better to buy them.

Offline OlegG

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 08:31:12 AM »
I see that the link did not post correctly, here you go:

http://www.ez2ctargets.com/