Author Topic: Sphinx SDP Compact...issues  (Read 2464 times)

Offline rxer311

Sphinx SDP Compact...issues
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
I just bought a Kriss Sphinx SDP compact 9mm second hand and have had issues before I have even had the chance to fire a round.

It seems that the chamber is way too tight.  I tried to cycle some rounds (blazer brass) by hand and it was very difficult to clear a round.  Thinking the ammo may have been out of spec I tried some of my federal hydrashock rounds and ran into the same issue.

The chamber was so tight that I had a bullet get stuck in the barrel as the extractor pulled the case clean off the bullet and threw powder everywhere.  I was able to get the bullet out.  I thought that it may be a fluke, however, this happened to a second round.  I was able to tap it out but this seems very strange to me.  I know the tolerances on these are tight, but bullet shouldn't separate from the case by simply trying to clear it, right?

Offline jaep1911

Re: Sphinx SDP Compact...issues
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:31:02 PM »
It sounds like the chamber is shallow and the bullet is pushed into the rifling and gets stuck. That sucks. My gun, a new compact, had  a feed problem with the first couple of rounds (Blazer Brass) but after that , it ate all 150 rounds. The slide was tight and I think it was the cause of the initial problem.

Better to call KRISS (do not email them as they never get back to you).

Offline rxer311

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »

Offline rxer311

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:54:52 PM »
Thanks.  I think you may have described the problem exactly.  The rounds will drop into the barrel so far, but then you have to use force to push them all the way in if you are just dropping rounds into the barrel.

I am going to call Kriss, but am not too optimistic since I am not the original owner.

Offline jaep1911

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
Do you see any contact marks on those bullets?

Offline rxer311

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 04:46:06 PM »
I called Kriss.  They said that the pistol is not covered under warranty due to me not being the original owner.  They did, however, offer to fix the issue under warranty as a one time courtesy with a 90 warranty on the work.  They understood my position and are willing to help.

I sent it out yesterday after they gave me an RMA.

Offline jaep1911

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 11:43:15 PM »
That is great that they are stepping up to help you!! Please keep me/us posted, I would like to know what the cause was. Mine has been working great. I tested some carry ammo - Hornady Critical Duty (115gr) and SIG (147gr), and my gun likes the latter. 1.5" group with five shots at 15 yards.

Offline rxer311

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:38:31 PM »
I think you are correct in your assumption that the chamber is cut too short.  It is a very tight chamber and none of my ammo passed the drop test.

Offline CDKJudoka

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
I'm glad KRISS is willing to work with you on it. Do you know what year it was built in? I have a 2013 and never had any issues with it.

And jaep, you are running the same stuff that I do. The Sphinx loves the heavier stuff. I either run the Sig 147gr or Golden Sabre 124gr +p.

Offline jaep1911

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:06:28 PM »
I'm glad KRISS is willing to work with you on it. Do you know what year it was built in? I have a 2013 and never had any issues with it.

And jaep, you are running the same stuff that I do. The Sphinx loves the heavier stuff. I either run the Sig 147gr or Golden Sabre 124gr +p.

I am glad that I have someone supporting my finding. The difference was day and night. Granted, I would not need that precision but it will not hurt.
Am loving my SDP. Bought it for carry but am thinking about shooting in IDPA with it. Just want to use it more often than not.

One concern with the gun is it is very difficult to disassemble it. I do not really want to deal with the solid pin when I need to clean the FP tunnel. Any tip??

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 01:46:19 AM »
One concern with the gun is it is very difficult to disassemble it. I do not really want to deal with the solid pin when I need to clean the FP tunnel. Any tip??

Spray out the Firing Pin Channel and Extractor area with Poly Safe Gunscrubber from the Firing Pin hole and you should be fine! Re Lube the Firing Pin Lock Mechanism area afterwards.

I only disassemble Slide internals when Repairs or Spring replacements are necessary and I've always found the Slide Internals to be very clean from the Gunscrubber.
Disc Brake Cleaner may also be used, but may be hard on some polymer parts and finishes.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline CDKJudoka

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »
What JWC said.

Because the Sphinx is semi-hand fitted, it has much tighter tolerances than a standard CZ or clone. That is part of the reason why CGW stopped working on them. The pins are pretty much press-fit, requiring a hydraulic press, or drill in some cases, to complete disassemble it. It isn't very user serviceable beyond a standard field strip. Even changing the back straps are a pain.

Offline jaep1911

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
That is what I was thinking. I have a can of Hornady One Shot Cleaner and it should serve the purpose.

Yeah, removing the grip retaining pin was not that easy. I had to slam the pin out. It is a shame that disassembly is not serviceable. It should not be like that especially if Sphinx has been making competition guns for years.

I bought a CGW spring kit just to try to lower the DA pull but only installed the hammer spring because of the inconvenience of changing the FP spring. I had a few light strikes during the first 50 rounds so went back to the factory spring. One day, I will change all the springs.

Any input for removing the FP retaining pin from the slide? Direction? How to assemble?

Offline rxer311

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 12:26:21 AM »
Update:

Got my pistol back from Kriss.

They polished the feed ramp and did some work to the chamber as well as doing some polishing of the slide rails.

Problem is resolved.  All rounds extract easily.

Also, on the plus side, the slide is also much easier to work.

Hopefully can get to the range tomorrow.

Offline Blanco Nino

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 11:34:33 PM »
I just purchased a new Sphinx SDP Compact with the same issues or worse. Failure to chamber, failed to cycle. Period. Got through one full magazine of 147gr Speer Lawman, and even that failed to lock open. Looked like the rounds were getting stuck vertically when trying to feed, so either the feed ramp is too steep or the chamber is too tight or shallow, as with the subcompacts. This was straight out of the box. Any degree of QC should have caught this. It was every round when I used Federal 115gr. Just didn't work. Calling Kriss tomorrow. Not happy. Also shot a new Canik TP9v2 today out of the box. Shot the same ammo perfectly and cost 1/3 as much as the Sphinx. This is ridiculous. So much for Swiss pride of craftsmanship. Whatever corners they're cutting to bring down the costs are causing my gun to not even function. Can't wait to explain that to some twit at Kriss. These lemons seem to be prevalent.