Author Topic: Light weight universal Side Mount Plate: DARS VZ  (Read 11223 times)

Offline Orbiter

Re: Light weight universal Side Mount Plate: DARS VZ
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 11:14:37 PM »
Horse, do you have a rough estimate of when we can expect these to become available?

Offline RSR

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 01:43:01 AM »
I don't have an ambi to be able to model it for one - so not for the first run at least.  I have been looking at them however.

No one makes an ambi for the CSA guns anymore, least since NEA made their last run at least 4 years ago now...

I have a spare short throw rear to fire I'm happy to send you for testing, but even w/ those the Century guns need a bit of material removed around the pin hole on the right side of receiver (since higher shelf than Czech version) to be able to run them.  In brief, it allows the support thumb to manipulate the safety for righties, like with ARs, Galils, etc... Or if preferring to use trigger finger, the short throw makes that action much quicker as well. 
It truly is a major improvement to ergos for this weapon system.  One of those things where you don't know what you're missing until you try it... 
My recommendation however would be to design something integral -- I'd imagine more of a longer lever like a galil safety would be needed w/ a side rail, don't know that you could use standard.  Thinking outloud and giving IP release, open sourcing -- I think you could potentially even do something as simple as drilling and tapping standard safeties (be it CSA version or milsurp) and allowing a longer lever install (to run w/ side rail) or a mirror of standard safety lever if using w/o.  And then just attach the levers w/ allen key screws. 
A major negative on the aftermarket ambi safeties is that both sides have to be properly installed to properly function...  Each side ties into a different side of the receiver and then the two pieces are secured together internally w/ allen screw.  So w/ tapping, you'd maintain the overall reliability of the OE safety and if losing the "ambi" side lever due to the screw coming loose, you're safety is still function -- in the AR world, quite similar of comparisons between the Knights and BAD safeties...

Offline RSR

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »
*Ambi safeties also would allow for no concern w/ interference from folding stock.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 06:45:09 PM »
*Ambi safeties also would allow for no concern w/ interference from folding stock.

Thumbs up.

CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline czgunner

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 09:47:20 PM »
Any updates?
Disabled combat veteran

Offline Horse

• RS Regulate
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 07:57:42 PM »
New machine shop sourced - mine is too busy cutting aluminum chips to do any change over to steel.
Owner: RSRegulate.com

Offline slimjim

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 08:43:46 PM »
Ready in 4-6 weeks (NOT) been 7 months! :o

Offline czgunner

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
Thought I would ask about the side rail mount again!
Disabled combat veteran

Offline cornac

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
bump for interest, wish i had known this was a possibility before i ordered one from zahal. im assuming ill have to make a spacer for my 2008.

Offline Horse

• RS Regulate
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
Ready in 4-6 weeks (NOT) been 7 months! :o

Hard to control that when I can't stop the machines I have running to take them down for production of steel parts.  Had to source a new machine shop to handle these, that's been the problem.

Offline Horse

• RS Regulate
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »

I reviewed some machinist suggested changes yesterday and really liked his corrections.  That should help speed of machining, and subsequently cost.

Offline czgunner

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 03:41:23 PM »

I reviewed some machinist suggested changes yesterday and really liked his corrections.  That should help speed of machining, and subsequently cost.
Cool! Thanks for the update!
Disabled combat veteran

Offline RSR

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »
I'm just grateful horse's company is providing a few awesome aftermarket options for our beloved vz58! 

My gun still goes bang in the interim of awaiting upgrades...

Offline Porterhaus

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
It's nice to hear this project is still chuggin' along. All this stuff with manufacturing sounds frustrating.

I've heard to mount a side rail on a Vz2008 you need to either modify the dimensions slightly or shim it. Any plan to package it with shims for the 2008?

Offline Horse

• RS Regulate
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »
It's a universal design, we had a VZ2008 in house to make sure it would work properly. It will still carry a "Qualified Gunsmith Install Only" tag as you still have to drill and tap your receiver.