Author Topic: Alright, here's a hypothetical hunting question for ya...  (Read 1696 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Alright, here's a hypothetical hunting question for ya...
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
You have just been given a license, permit, stamp, to go hunt Arctic Grizzly bear. What rifle/what ammo? Must be compatible with extreme cold weather. :)

Offline AZ_CZ

Re: Alright, here's a hypothetical hunting question for ya...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
Remington XTR in 375 H&H mag with my 300 gr. Solid handloads and low power 1-4 scope in QR rings. Is this a coastal hunt or open territory? Might change my ammo and scope choices.

Between the BLR and the CZ.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:08:57 PM by AZ_CZ »
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:53:32 AM »
Not sure where the person I know who is actually DOING this is headed to...I personally wouldn't take on grizzly with anything that sn't either vehicle mounted or crew served... :o

Offline Rhino

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:19:53 AM »
My wife's grandfather lived in Alaska, he never went grizzly hunting but killed quite a few while hunting moose. He would spook them or disturb them in some way and if they charged he'd put them down. He carried a .458 Win Mag, his thought was "bring enough gun". His son in law asked him one time why he only carried 4 shells, his reply was "that's all I can stand to shoot the SOB"! 😜

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:17 AM »
Used to be an old guy by the name of Elmer Keith that wrote for Guns & Ammo magazine for a few years.

He had a lot of experience killing large dangerous bears up north.

He carried a double rifle like those used in Africa for elephants, water buffalo, etc.

When asked why he carried such a rifle for brown bears he replied, "The bullets go all the way through, and I want them to bleed from two holes at the same time."

Anything that big, that mean, you want to die quick.

I'd still want to be up in a good stout tree before pulling the trigger.  And have a big bore handgun in a holster on my hip.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »
Not sure where the person I know who is actually DOING this is headed to...I personally wouldn't take on grizzly with anything that sn't either vehicle mounted or crew served... :o

Perfect for coastal bears;

CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • Fascinating
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »
This:

and, this:

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Mackay Sagebrush

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:24:49 AM »
In all seriousness, I would forgo the magnums in favor of a rifle/cartridge combo that I can shoot with the utmost of precision. A .308 or 30-06 in something like a stainless Tikka T3 (for weather resistance) would be a top choice. Choose the appropriate projectile and go forth and hunt.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
My wife's grandfather lived in Alaska, he never went grizzly hunting but killed quite a few while hunting moose. He would spook them or disturb them in some way and if they charged he'd put them down. He carried a .458 Win Mag, his thought was "bring enough gun". His son in law asked him one time why he only carried 4 shells, his reply was "that's all I can stand to shoot the SOB"! 😜
I had the um, pleasure of shooting a .458 Winmag about 20 years ago. If a couple of these rounds won't kill it, I don't want to be anywhere near it. Probably the single most memorable gun I've ever fired.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:17:28 PM »
Grendel, even though I have access to 2 50 BMGs not carrying them more than 20 yards. Ammo is a bit steep for practice also.  HOWEVER, that said if anyone offers to let you try one DO IT. Nothing like the BOOM clang of steel at 800 yards or more.
, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70