Author Topic: Looking for hand guard design feedback  (Read 3987 times)

Offline faltion

Looking for hand guard design feedback
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:20:45 PM »
Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting about this project as my first post.

The factory hand guard is super uncomfortable for me due to the pic rails so I designed a new one that is m-lok compatible.

Here's a couple images of the first iteration of my printed prototype:

I've already made a couple of tweaks from this design, but the biggest take away is that the hand guard is a million times more comfortable for me now. My biggest goal was to preserve the lines of the scorpion so it looks natural. I'd love to get some feedback on the design from y'all.

I'd love to get it produced in the end, but right now I can't make any promises due to the high costs of injection molding or machining but if I have enough support it's definitely something I'd do my best to do.

Offline techspec6

Re: Looking for hand guard design feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:50:44 AM »
I'm dying for some handguard options.  I like the length and lines of your handguard.  Yetiworks is also working on a handguard design.

My suggestion would be to take the QD mount out and see if you can fit 3 Mlok slots instead.  If you can only fit two, I'd still take the QD mount out of the handguard.  The QD mounts from Yetiworks are excellent and it uses the original attachment points which are very rigid.  More rigid than I believe the handguard itself could ever be.

Jason

Offline faltion

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:03:35 AM »
The QD mounts are something I've been on the fence about. With that prototype they're definitely too far forward, and I've moved them rearward more towards the sling mount. I've seen the QD mounts that replace the sling mounts and would agree that is potentially the best option. I just don't like the idea of something protruding like that, I need to order one and see how I feel about it. I might just replace that QD slot with another half m-lok slot, I think a third full slot would just be pointless that far back. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Carbonfly

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 08:11:54 AM »
I actually like the QD sling spot. But since you added that I would rather a smooth transition to the receiver and basically remove the original sling attachment point. Just have it be flush as it reaches the receiver.

Maybe if you did that you could move the QD spot back AND still achieve a 3rd MLOK slot?

Offline DingoDog

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
I really like that, will it stay polymer? I like the QD socket but if you could fit another m-lok slot or one all the way forward would be best. Keep it up, any idea on a price?

Offline JasonTrujillo

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
I like how you've kept the lines pretty much the same but I would prefer a more aggressive angle at the top to better follow the original design.  I know it sacrifices some sight radius but so does the barrel length to begin with.  This wasn't designed to be a match rifle. As for the QD socket, I don't mind it but given the choice I'd prefer a 3rd MLok slot for added adjustability. While on the subject of MLok, I'd also like to see a third slot on the bottom, as well.  This is pretty much the design i'm looking for to replace my hand guard.  I've contemplated milling off the rails but I haven't seen one that looks good.  I've seen the one yeti is working on but I don't want it rounded.

Regards,
Jason

Offline akuser47

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
I like it, only thing I'd change is the sharp points on the top front smooth them or contour them I think it will be even better looking. Nice work.

Offline hbrogers

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
Looks great.  It would be fantastic to have another handguard option.  I'm in agreement with most of the others about having 3 mlok slots.  I also really like how you followed the same lines of the Scorpion. But, same as JasonTrujillo, I'd be interested to see how a more aggressive angle at the top of the handguard to match the original design would look.  Taking away the sharp edges would be nice, also.

Offline faltion

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 04:18:50 PM »
I really like that, will it stay polymer? I like the QD socket but if you could fit another m-lok slot or one all the way forward would be best. Keep it up, any idea on a price?

I'd prefer it stay polymer since I'd like to keep the weight down. Even though aluminum isn't very heavy, the scorpion is very much a polymer gun and I don't see a point in changing that. I wish I could talk on price, but I'm still pretty far from that. I'd want to keep it in the $50-100 range.

So here's a render with an added m-lok half slot and not yet eliminating the QD mount.

I'm not sure everyone realizes that the smaller slots are actually half slots and work just as fine for mounting as the full-length ones. There's actually 4 m-lok half slots at the top of the guard which would likely work for a strategically placed mount, as long as it doesn't interfere with the charging handle. They're there more for venting/style.

The reason for having half slots is due to the way the barrel spacer interfaces with the hand guard to keep the entire thing attached to the receiver. A full slot would have interference from the retainer. I'm not entirely sure it's necessary but something I wanted to carry over from the factory hand guard.

I could do 2 half, 2 full on the sides like I did for the underside or leave it half, full, full, half. It's just a looks thing and doesn't change functionality.

I like it, only thing I'd change is the sharp points on the top front smooth them or contour them I think it will be even better looking. Nice work.

Adding a chamfer to the sharp edges is one of the first things I did after printing and is definitely something I'm still messing with.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. I'm going to explore a more aggressive angle to the front like people are requesting. Personally I'd prefer a completely flat front but added a slant to call back to the original design. Having 2 hand guard options, one with a flatter front and one with a more slanted front is not outside the realm of possibility.

Offline Border Dave

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
That hand guard looks like it should have come on the Scorpion from the factory.  I'm very impressed.  Hopefully, it will function as well as it looks.

Offline Comte

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
I like that, I am not real big on rails.  Those holes on the bottom, could they be closed up or are they there for cooling? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline techspec6

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »
I believe those holes are MLok and half MLok slots.  There there for lights, vertical grips, etc.

Jason

Offline faltion

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 02:40:48 AM »
I believe those holes are MLok and half MLok slots.  There there for lights, vertical grips, etc.

Right. In a bare hand they're not even very noticeable. I tried the thin rubber ergo grip m-lok covers and it makes them disappear entirely. I am pretty sure I can make 3 full m-lok slots across the bottom pretty easily, but am not sure if I am going to on the sides, just yet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:42:47 AM by faltion »

Offline Tommyid1

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 05:01:29 AM »
looks cool.  but id be more interested ifn you could design it to attatch to the rifle not using the conventional nut so we can run shorter barrels and go can under the handguard to keep oal way down.

Offline techspec6

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
OEM length handguards will be desirable if the barrel coolers become readily available and allow the barrel nut to be tightened down to spec without breaking the handguard or requiring a ton of loctite.

If your confused to what I'm talking about, see the thread on barrel cooler.

Jason

anything