Author Topic: Looking for hand guard design feedback  (Read 3260 times)

Offline norinco982lover

Re: Looking for hand guard design feedback
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
I like it. I like that it isn't all slanted at the top front...I'd prefer to not follow the lines of the original handguard.

I'd keep the QD too.

Let me know when its available, I'll buy one.

Can you show a picture of the entire gun?

Offline hking

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
Wish magpul would get in the Scorpion game but it will never happen for many years I bet. They could turn out stocks, mags, grips, handguards, safety options, charging handles, mag releases, and people would buy them up because its a trusted mainstream name.

Offline Garmanarnar

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
looks cool.  but id be more interested ifn you could design it to attatch to the rifle not using the conventional nut so we can run shorter barrels and go can under the handguard to keep oal way down.

I wouldn't want to put a suppressor inside a polymer handguard; suppressors can get very hot, and these kinds of polymers are not as heat resistant as aluminum or steel -- consider the case of a Magpul polymer front sight on a railed gas block.

Offline techspec6

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »
I wouldn't want to put a suppressor inside a polymer handguard; suppressors can get very hot, and these kinds of polymers are not as heat resistant as aluminum or steel -- consider the case of a Magpul polymer front sight on a railed gas block.

I agree unless the handguard is made from a metal.  Personally, I'd prefer to keep it plastic to keep the weight down and the standard OAL for aftermarket barrel compatibility.

Jason

Offline techspec6

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 05:52:35 PM »
Just noticed something.  How deeply does the barrel nut sit in this design?  Will the barrel nut socket be require from CZ custom in order to fasten it down?  I've been using a 20mm wrench.

Jason

Offline faltion

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
The distance to the rubber space is approximately the same as in the factory hand guard. The overall length is actually about 1/4" less than the stock hand guard due to removal of the extraneous "underbite" of the original. It should be even easier to tighten with this design. My scorpion was one of those with a nightmarish amount of thread locker and I've taken a chunk out of my stock hand guard due to my wrench slipping. The damage was to the excess material on the bottom of the guard, which people with asymmetric suppressors have complained about previously. I'm glad to eliminate it.

Offline techspec6

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 11:54:32 PM »
excellent!  I couldn't tell if you had lengthened the top or shorted the bottom in order to square it off.  Glad to hear it's the latter.

Jason

Offline BlahX3

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »
I like it too.

Offline Greankrayon

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 11:31:16 PM »
Love this design. I hate the slant on the top front of the factory scorpion.

Offline jamesavery22

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »
+1 for no slanted front/top. Need the rail space.  What are your thoughts on not using the barrel nut to secure the handguard?  Namely for the folks that will have a shorter barrel at some point.

Offline faltion

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »
I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread. A year later after spending several thousand dollars on a milling machine, and also exploring aluminum options, I went back and found a place that can get me SLS printed nylon handguards, with some caveats. After, I don't know, how many design iterations I settled on one, that you see here. This one is still very much a prototype, and I already need to make minor dimensional adjustments. It also had no spot for the cocking handle pin, which I am going to machine in.

The issues I currently face are:
  • I am dealing with white nylon dyed black, which is not deep, so the white likely will show through if I do any machining. What I plan to machine on this piece likely can be printed in future iterations. Places I've consulted about doing a black nylon print more than double the cost per part. I am beseeching the place I got mine printed to offer a black nylon option.
  • I am considering sanding and doing a coating of duracoat or cerakote to increase smoothness and surface durability and also give a deeper black. It will of course increase cost if people want that option. SLS printed texture is actually very nice for grip, but scratches easily.
  • I cannot decide if I wish to retain having no cutouts for the oem sling loops or not.

In the images I have a hand stop attached that is meant to compliment the handguard design. It is a SLA printed prototype, so currently not suitable for use.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »
Why no 3 mlok slots instead of 2 halves plus 2 fulls ?
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline faltion

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »
The location of the bracket that holds the nut that holds the handguard to the receiver is right there. There really isn't clearance for an M-Lok nut on the sides if it's a full size hole without weakening that area, and the smaller one doesn't affect performance.

Offline moose97

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »
I'm new to this thread - is this different from the HBI/Manticore versions, in that it maintains the barrel nut? If so, looks like its recessed. Is the carbine barrel nut tool required for this?

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »
Font think it does use the barrel nut after the previous explaining about a nut being in there to mount the hg to a mount
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG