Author Topic: Looking for hand guard design feedback  (Read 9370 times)

Offline faltion

Re: Looking for hand guard design feedback
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 11:21:47 PM »
I'm new to this thread - is this different from the HBI/Manticore versions, in that it maintains the barrel nut? If so, looks like its recessed. Is the carbine barrel nut tool required for this?

Yes, this is like the original CZ handguard in that it interfaces with a barrel nut held against a rubber washer. It is slightly shorter than the original pistol handguard, but with more clearance to get at the nut. So, to answer your question, you don't need the carbine wrench, just a regular 20mm will do.

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
Curiosity.  So, advantages over the factory handguard are mlok slots instead of picatinny rails?

Generally smoother out of the box, but with a downside of dyed white poly that will certainly show marks.

?

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
Sure will eventually do molded poly if theres enough interest to support the mold cost.  People were  paying near $65 shipped for 3d printed yeti grips for a year before they changed production.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline THESMTHOPR8R

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
I think it looks great! In some ways, it reminds me of a shortened version of the oem carbine handguard. Not sure I like the smaller holes towards the top of the handguard. I think I'd prefer more mlok type slots. Obviously color match would be a concern. The original printed Yetiworks grips nevery really matched the shade of the Scorpion.

Offline faltion

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
Curiosity.  So, advantages over the factory handguard are mlok slots instead of picatinny rails?

Generally smoother out of the box, but with a downside of dyed white poly that will certainly show marks.

?

I wanted to accomplish a few things with the design. One was to have m-lok slots, another was to follow in the spirit of the original gun, which resulted in a far more ergonomic shape than just pic rails.

The current part is dyed to .25mm, which doesn't seem like much but if you scratch that deep on anything you will notice. It's not ideal and it's something I want to ultimately get away from. I plan to test sand this part with 600 grit paper, which I feel will likely decrease how easily it scratches. Bead blasting may also be an option, for best finish but I don't want to round over all the sharp edges if possible.

Sure will eventually do molded poly if theres enough interest to support the mold cost.  People were  paying near $65 shipped for 3d printed yeti grips for a year before they changed production.

I have no intention any longer of ever getting parts molded. A mold for a part like this costs $10,000 to $14,000. An laser sintered part has no strength disadvantages over an injected molded part (of the same material obviously), and has the added benefit of having far less geometric constraints. For 10k I can also get a Formlabs SLS printer and produce these at home, with the added benefit of having optional features such as no slant cut, potentially more m-lok slots, and so forth for cheaper. There just is no benefit for getting something injected molded unless I was certain to sell at least 100 units, it's just too expensive for small business.

I think it looks great! In some ways, it reminds me of a shortened version of the oem carbine handguard. Not sure I like the smaller holes towards the top of the handguard. I think I'd prefer more mlok type slots. Obviously color match would be a concern. The original printed Yetiworks grips nevery really matched the shade of the Scorpion.

I added the vent holes for aesthetics mostly and I was sure it would be a point of contention for some people. I toyed with having extra m-lok slots above the current ones, but the result was that anything mounted on the charging handle side would interfere with function. I don't think color match is possible without having the same type of plastic injection molded. I think doing something like cerakote as a final step would be the best bet as it can be used to color match and would increase wear and heat resistance.

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »
i think the whole design is excellent. As long as all of the lines match up with the receiver, its a real winner. I like the small vent holes a lot too.

One thing I would love to see a version that has an bottom bulged or extended cavity that can hold a surefire g2 or similar inside the handguard itself. A modernized and sleeker version of the MP5 lighted foreend.  (Or a cersion that can enclose a tlr 1, or APL,  but have access to the switch paddles.)

Offline wyoung

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
I like what you've done. The lines look really clean and I like being able to use my factory barrel nut.

Maybe a complete bull nose would be a good option.

I would leave the option open to be able to use the factory sling mount or my preference the Yeti QD. You could mount a Magpul MLOK QD at the side rear but then you've eaten up rail space and the sling is a little too far forward for me.

I honestly like the original top vent holes better. They don't even have to be MLOK.

Offline faltion

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
i think the whole design is excellent. As long as all of the lines match up with the receiver, its a real winner. I like the small vent holes a lot too.

One thing I would love to see a version that has an bottom bulged or extended cavity that can hold a surefire g2 or similar inside the handguard itself. A modernized and sleeker version of the MP5 lighted foreend.  (Or a cersion that can enclose a tlr 1, or APL,  but have access to the switch paddles.)

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind about the flashlight holder. I'm not sure there will be much demand for it though. Unfortunately there's still no mlok native lights I know of, so an adapter is still necessary for something like a streamlight or inforce weapon light.

I like what you've done. The lines look really clean and I like being able to use my factory barrel nut.

I would leave the option open to be able to use the factory sling mount or my preference the Yeti QD. You could mount a Magpul MLOK QD at the side rear but then you've eaten up rail space and the sling is a little too far forward for me.

I honestly like the original top vent holes better. They don't even have to be MLOK.

Do you know if the yeti QD has the same footprint as the stock sling loops? I used to have a cut out for those on the handguard and erased them for an aluminum version using screws and barrel nut, so it would be easy to bring them back.

I tried a bunch of different vent styles and locations, and this is what I like the best since they are obviously vents. With an m-lok handguard there's already a ton of venting, so it's more a design choice than anything. The original vents are too similar to m-lok slots that I wouldn't want to reuse them and induce confusion. I am not 100% on the shape and position yet. A beautiful thing about printed parts is several variations is not difficult.

Offline wyoung

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 01:24:21 AM »

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind about the flashlight holder. I'm not sure there will be much demand for it though. Unfortunately there's still no mlok native lights I know of, so an adapter is still necessary for something like a streamlight or inforce weapon light.

Do you know if the yeti QD has the same footprint as the stock sling loops? I used to have a cut out for those on the handguard and erased them for an aluminum version using screws and barrel nut, so it would be easy to bring them back.

I tried a bunch of different vent styles and locations, and this is what I like the best since they are obviously vents. With an m-lok handguard there's already a ton of venting, so it's more a design choice than anything. The original vents are too similar to m-lok slots that I wouldn't want to reuse them and induce confusion. I am not 100% on the shape and position yet. A beautiful thing about printed parts is several variations is not difficult.
Yes, the Yeti QD fits exactly like the stock sling loops. The vents are a subjective thing but the more I see them the more I like them. They definitely wouldn't dissuade me from buying one.

Offline wyoung

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
I think it would look better with the top vent holes down the whole length of the hand guard.

Offline wyoung

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Any updates?

Offline faltion

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
Sorry I've had a lot going on recently, and still need to do testing with my prototype.

Offline wyoung

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »
faltion,
Have you thought about using shapeways.com? You can upload your design and they will sell it for you so you could choose to have it printed in black material. I'm not 100% on the details but that's how I understand it works.

Offline faltion

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 12:31:51 AM »
I don't believe shapeways is ITAR certified. I've used them in the past for other prints, but they're pretty expensive. Going with a place that will do a discounted bulk order is probably best.

Offline vaglocker

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »
very nice