Author Topic: +P 9mm Is it safe to shoot  (Read 5055 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: +P 9mm Is it safe to shoot
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 12:41:08 AM »
Thanks larryflew.

JMO:  Not a particularly hot load.  139PF.
That link shows a round nose bullet that "should" feed just fine.

I don't see a problem shooting a fair number of those. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:45:47 AM by 1SOW »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »
I'm not even sure where the +P comes from.  Does it say it on the page somewhere?  I dont see it.

I'm also not sure why people are speculating on +P based on velocity.  You can have a 115gr round nose at +P pressures at just 1000 feet/sec while the same bullet can remain within standard pressures at 1250 feet/sec, all depending on powder. +P doesn't mean fast.  ;)

My concerns:

They're not weight-binning every bullet to within a .2gr window on bullets -- that's cost and time prohibitive -- they're not doing that.

AND if they were, that does not, as their marketing suggests, create "match quality".

A .3gr window on powder does not ensure "the highest accuracy".  That's actually a big window.

Their in-house "engineers" designed their "high end arsenal grade machines?"   Really!?!?  I don't know how much it would cost to have an engineer design automated reloading machines, but I do know how much it costs to have an engineer design the sheet metal pieces for scuppers, downspouts, and roof edge flashings, and I'm pretty sure getting automated machinery out of an engineer is more expensive than buying the commercial machinery that already exists. 

And last, but definitely not least -- they're marketing plated bullets as TMJ, and those are two entirely separate things.  This is NOT TMJ. 

And while none of this means this is bad ammo, it does mean one of the following three things:

• The manufacturer is straight up lying about their product and process, OR
  • The manufacturer doesn't understand enough about their product and process to speak about it intelligently, OR
  • Their marketing copy was written by a professional copywriter who doesn't understand ammo and is making things up.

And all three of those mean you don't really know what you're getting, so all three of those are deal-breakers for me.  Frankly, they lost me at TMJ.

Offline painter

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 08:18:51 AM »
I'm speculating on it not being +P because, as flawed as you find the literature, it doesn't say it is +P and the listed velocities are well within the range for standard pressure ammo using 'typical' powders for the job.

Sure they could be using something that makes it +P, but the claim of SAAMI pressure listed next to the velocity says standard pressure to me.

I don't think you should buy any. ;D
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »
Danalynn, if your after cheaper ammo, you could try Freedomunitions.   
    Personally I wouldn't use their "New" loads, but their reloads are ok. If you have any issues, I rank their CS right up there with CGW and CZC.

If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 02:41:01 PM »
Danalynn, if your after cheaper ammo, you could try Freedomunitions.   
    Personally I wouldn't use their "New" loads, but their reloads are ok. If you have any issues, I rank their CS right up there with CGW and CZC.

And the best deal is when they have 5% off and free shipping.....may have to wait a couple of weeks to get it, but the  hollow point target ammo 124gr and the 135gr is all I use. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline danalynn

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 12:59:48 PM »
Thank you very much everyone who has replied. I have also been trying to do some research on what some of this all means so if anything you have helped me learn a lot. I started out just looking for a deal as money can be short here but I know that cheaper is not always better so I came looking for help which you have been kind enough to share. As a girl it is not always easy getting help at some stores around here but I like to shoot and I love my CZ RAMI very much therefore I have decided to just pass on this ammo and try to stretch my money and bullets out and still have fun. Who knew it could cost so much just to shoot some bowling pins and metal targets? My boyfriend says I should look into reloading which has sent me on a new quest and maybe lots more questions in the not so distant future I hope I do not become to much of bother here and I thank you all very much in advance for any help or input you may give me

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
That Rami should fire just about any ammo you feed it.  Try the Wal Mart sold  Perfecta Ammo.....it is brass cased 115gr FMJ and most of the time less than $10 for 50 rds.  The one thing I would advise against...trying to stretch the ammo budget, I have seen people buy reloads from flea market vendors with disastrous results.  NOT ALWAYS, but enough I would never buy ammo from a reload vendor.  Now some of the local gun shops or ranges may sell reloads and that I will and have bought with great results.  Just enjoy shooting and never hesitate to ask a question.....hell we all may learn something from a question you ask.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
Most of what I shoot is bulk Winchester white box. On sale around here about $20 per 100. Normal $25 per 100. Some guys don't like it but I've never had an issue.
   Fed. Amer. Eagle works good too. Funny, I keep hearing about Perfecta but I've never seen it here. Most of the stores carry Rem UMC, Amer. Eagle, and WWB. All 115gr.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Moe Mentum

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 06:53:33 PM »
I only use +p in my carry guns.  Fired a few just to test them out,  but for range use I use standard loads.  No need to beat myself and my guns up just to kill paper.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 06:57:36 PM »
Thank you very much everyone who has replied. I have also been trying to do some research on what some of this all means so if anything you have helped me learn a lot. I started out just looking for a deal as money can be short here but I know that cheaper is not always better so I came looking for help which you have been kind enough to share.
Our pleasure to help you. Understanding CZ pistols and their ammo isn't always easy or straightforward. Glad we could help.

As a girl it is not always easy getting help at some stores around here but I like to shoot and I love my CZ RAMI very much therefore I have decided to just pass on this ammo and try to stretch my money and bullets out and still have fun. Who knew it could cost so much just to shoot some bowling pins and metal targets?
You meant "female", I'm sure. Yes, it can be expensive. You're basically throwing money down range.

My boyfriend says I should look into reloading which has sent me on a new quest and maybe lots more questions in the not so distant future I hope I do not become to much of bother here and I thank you all very much in advance for any help or input you may give me.
1. That's a very smart boy friend. I don't care what the parents say  O0, you might want to keep him around.
2. Start saving your brass cartridge cases right now. Pick up every brass 9mm case you see from now on. As per this thread right here.
3. There are no "stupid questions" concerning ammo for the CZ. Most of all we want you to be safe, but also enjoy the hobby. Ask us anything. If we don't know the answer, we'll make up something good sounding.  ;D
4. Put your city/state in your profile. Some one may live nearby that can mentor you in these things.

All the best.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:00:41 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline eastman

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
Most of what I shoot is bulk Winchester white box. On sale around here about $20 per 100. Normal $25 per 100. Some guys don't like it but I've never had an issue.
   Fed. Amer. Eagle works good too. Funny, I keep hearing about Perfecta but I've never seen it here. Most of the stores carry Rem UMC, Amer. Eagle, and WWB. All 115gr.

Perfecta is the brand name Fiocchi uses on the ammo they sell at WalMart. Normal price is around $10/box for 9mm and $15/box for .45 and .40. About the same price as the Federal Aluminum case ammo at Wally World. I've shot a lot of each and both have always worked well.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline GRU7_Mike

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:49 AM »
Perfecta ammo is actually made by and distributed by many different manufactures.  S&B, Fiocci and TulAmmo all make ammo for Perfecta, there might be even more I have not seen.  I have never had problems with it, and if I run out of my stockpile of Freedommunition ammo I will not hesitate to use it.
Reloading .....I do not have the patience (gotten lazy)for it in my old age.  Buying the equipment and the supplies to get started will save in the long run, but I do not shoot as often as I use to,  so I am spending some of the grandkids' inheritance on ammo  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:19:57 AM by GRU7_Mike »
William Pitt

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
,  so I am spending some of the grandkids' inheritance on ammo  ;D

You can't take it with you so you might as well send it down range ahead of you.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Online MeatAxe

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
That Rami should fire just about any ammo you feed it.  Try the Wal Mart sold  Perfecta Ammo.....it is brass cased 115gr FMJ and most of the time less than $10 for 50 rds.  The one thing I would advise against...trying to stretch the ammo budget, I have seen people buy reloads from flea market vendors with disastrous results.  NOT ALWAYS, but enough I would never buy ammo from a reload vendor.  Now some of the local gun shops or ranges may sell reloads and that I will and have bought with great results.  Just enjoy shooting and never hesitate to ask a question.....hell we all may learn something from a question you ask.

(Tula) Perfecta 9mm 115 gr. fmj is actually made by Fiocchi, which is high quality ammo. And you can't beat the price @ $10/box. I'd take that over Winchester White Box any day.

As memory serves, muzzle velocity for Fiocchi/Perfecta is listed at 1200 - 1250 fps, which is the NATO standard and would be considered +P in the US. Most US 115 gr. 9mm leaves the barrel at @ 1150 fps -- down loaded due to fear of lawsuits, I suppose, in case somebody blows up their Great Grand Daddy's well-worn P-08 Luger.

This makes the Perfecta ammo ideal to practice with if you're using +P HPs for self defense. I've found them to be a perfect match with +P Cor Bon 115 gr. DPX (mv:1250 fps).

Admittedly, with +P Cor Bon JHPs (1350 fps) you feel the recoil, which is getting toward .357 SIG territory. However, since the RAMI is also chambered in .40 S&W and can be converted to .357 SIG, it ought to be able to handle a steady diet of 9mm +P, although it may wear out the disposable recoil spring quicker.

Offline whitecap

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 06:32:46 PM »
Young lady, you couldn't have found a more knowledgable bunch of people that really care and aren't reluctant to give advice. They're not afraid to tell you when you are wrong as well. Use this site and the knowledge base that it provides. Good shooting danalynn.

anything