Author Topic: Inexpensive way to Reduce DA trigger weight on SP-01?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Inexpensive way to Reduce DA trigger weight on SP-01?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 08:10:18 PM »
It does make a significant difference, but it's not something you have to do.

It is quite easy if you have a dremel. I followed IPSick's advice for polishing and used only a felt wheel with Flitz (or your favorite polishing compound) as it does not really remove any material. There is really no risk using this method whereas you need to be careful with sandpaper.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »
Regarding polishing, is that something I need to do or can I skip that? Does it really make a significant difference?

No one is saying that if you don't already own a Dremel or similar tool that you need to go buy one, but if already have one, and you're going to have the pistol detail-stripped anyway, why not take the extra 20 minutes?  ;)

Offline bm303

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 04:22:06 PM »
Thanks guys. I ordered the Ultra-Lite Kit and a 3mm roll pin punch. I should be able to do that one myself.

If I decide I still want more work done I'll buy the remainder of the Defensive Carry Package and have my local gunsmith install that. I think it's about $65 for trigger work.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 01:41:49 AM »
Awesome!

You'll love it!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 06:39:40 AM »
Regarding polishing, is that something I need to do or can I skip that? Does it really make a significant difference?

No one is saying that if you don't already own a Dremel or similar tool that you need to go buy one, but if already have one, and you're going to have the pistol detail-stripped anyway, why not take the extra 20 minutes?  ;)
It is literally that quick to do. I just finished an SP-01 for a buddy. It took about 2 hours total and that includes showing/explaining each part and how it relates in the operation of the action. He was surprised how quickly the polishing portion went.

Offline bm303

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »
Gah, just realized I forgot to ask David to swap the 11.5# spring for a 15#er in case the 13 is too light.

BTW, David seems 100% confident that the 13lb spring with these parts is 100% reliable yet I see a lot of people complaining about light strikes with the 13# spring in their cz-75. What is the deal with that?

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »
yet I see a lot of people complaining about light strikes with the 13# spring in their cz-75. 

Where?  I'm not saying it never happens, but it's not common.  I have had exactly 2 light strikes with my 75 and a 13# mainspring, and both were harder CCI cups, and bother went off on second strike, telling me that the primers weren't seated all the way.  That was a 13# main spring, and a CZC Extended Firing Pin with the stock firing pin spring (lost the CZC reduced power firing pin spring -- never needed it anyway).  And that's well over 10,000 rounds with that set up. 

Currently, I'm running an 11.5# CGW mainspring with a CZC Extended firing pin and a CGW reduced power firing pin spring.  I'm setting off Sellier & Bellot primers with no problem, and S&B primers can be a problem.  Had a couple of problems before adding the CGW reduced power firing pin spring, but with it, no problems.  At 11.5#.

Don't sweat a 13# mainspring.  And be happy for the 11.5# to play with.  ;)

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
yet I see a lot of people complaining about light strikes with the 13# spring in their cz-75. 

Where?  I'm not saying it never happens, but it's not common.  I have had exactly 2 light strikes with my 75 and a 13# mainspring, and both were harder CCI cups, and bother went off on second strike, telling me that the primers weren't seated all the way.  That was a 13# main spring, and a CZC Extended Firing Pin with the stock firing pin spring (lost the CZC reduced power firing pin spring -- never needed it anyway).  And that's well over 10,000 rounds with that set up. 

Currently, I'm running an 11.5# CGW mainspring with a CZC Extended firing pin and a CGW reduced power firing pin spring.  I'm setting off Sellier & Bellot primers with no problem, and S&B primers can be a problem.  Had a couple of problems before adding the CGW reduced power firing pin spring, but with it, no problems.  At 11.5#.

Don't sweat a 13# mainspring.  And be happy for the 11.5# to play with.  ;)
This. If the man says 100% and you use the recommended parts, 100% it is. That's my experience with CGW, they don't over sell their products.

Offline Nick B

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 08:51:32 PM »
I had CGW work their magic on my SP01. I have a 8 1/2 lb hammer spring in it and get 100% ignition with Federal primers and my DA pull is 5 1/2 lbs .
2000 rounds later and not one light strike .

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 09:44:40 PM »
Geez, that's absolutely insane.. 5.5 lb DA??

Offline BDG

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 11:32:33 PM »
I can see a 5.5lb DA with an 8.5lb Main Spring and some use.
My DA trigger pull is 6.25lbs with a 13lb Main Spring and about 4000rnds.

Offline Nick B

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
Geez, that's absolutely insane.. 5.5 lb DA??
Yep. My Glock shooting friends are totally amazed when they handle and shoot my SP01 .

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »
I've thought about going that route, but I've decided to stick with my 11.5# main spring and $20/1000 S&B primers.   ;)

Offline Nick B

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »
I've thought about going that route, but I've decided to stick with my 11.5# main spring and $20/1000 S&B primers.   ;)
Yeah I understand . My gun is just for range / IDPA use but just in case my Federal primers run out I also have on hand a 11.5 and a 13 pound springs .

Offline bm303

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 06:25:38 PM »
So I got the Ultra-Lite Kit and installed it. Took me a few hours but I now fully understand how to do it.

Wow. The DA is so amazingly smooth right now. It is spectacular with the 13# spring. To be honest, it may be just slightly lighter than I'd like for home defense. I have noticed a definite decrease in the SA too. The DA was cut in half and the SA seems about 20% lighter to me.

I am tempted to pick up the 15# spring now and just see if it's slightly heavier for HD use. For the range this setup will be flawless. I am just somewhat concerned about using the 13# spring for HD though. The half-cock position is so smooth. Same for the SA. The SA actually feels like the reset is shorter as well. I didn't think this kit had an effect on that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:34:43 PM by bm303 »

anything