Author Topic: ECO 9mm magazines  (Read 2578 times)

Offline runnerhiker

ECO 9mm magazines
« on: April 30, 2016, 12:57:22 AM »
I bought a 9mm ECO three weeks ago and I am having a problem with the magazines.  Putting the 8th round in it is very difficult and gives me an FTE about every other mag usage.  Loading it with only 7 rounds, I have not had an FTE.  I purchased 3 additional mags from DW and they have the same problem.

It looks like the problem is associated with the round tip not pointing upward enough.  The two mags that came with the gun have a follower with an obviously tilted upward ramp to try to direct the round into the chamber.  The three mags I purchased lated from DW don't have this.  It looks to me like they have seen this problem before and tried to alleviate it by installing the tilted up follower.

I am loading the mags by hand, not using an Uplula.  Is it possible there is a wrong way to load the rounds into the mags?

I am calling DW next week, but maybe I can get some tips here, too.  A search for ECO magazines returned zero hits.

Wahoo1 again

Re: ECO 9mm magazines
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:53:23 PM »
My experience with Officer size 1911s has been 7 rounds in 9mm and 6 in 45ACP always load and function. The short follower mags that allow 8 in 9mm and 7 in 45ACP often don't work as advertised. It's the same for many Government size pistols 7 round 45ACP mags work well, but most of the short follower 8 round mags don't.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:05:15 PM by Wahoo »

Offline runnerhiker

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:31:50 PM »
Thanks Wahoo.  The 7 round ECO is a great gun.  Great shooter.  Beautiful.  I have no regrets.  I'll see what DW has to say when I call them next week.

Offline twowheels

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 07:06:45 PM »
Or just pick up some mags with slightly longer tubes like the wilsons.

Offline playboyoncrack

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »
Thanks Wahoo.  The 7 round ECO is a great gun.  Great shooter.  Beautiful.  I have no regrets.  I'll see what DW has to say when I call them next week.
Were you able to find some answers to the magazine issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline twowheels

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »
yes pick up the new wilsons and all your troubles will likely disappear.

Offline playboyoncrack

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 08:32:35 PM »
yes pick up the new wilsons and all your troubles will likely disappear.
Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad you were able to fix that issue!!! The Eco 9mm is one of hell of shooter but I just dislike stripping to clean such a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WCSting

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »
I have a new ECO 9mm and I had similar issues. Using 7 rounds fixed it, but I also purchased another 6 Wilson Elite Compact mags and they all took 8 rounds and fired without any issues.
Step Forward...

Offline runnerhiker

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
Time for an update.

I made a slight adjustment on how I load the magazines and the problem is gone. When using an Uplula, I tilt the round up (lead pointing up) and insert the shell first then let the nose end fall into the mag.  The round goes into the magazine very easily and quickly when doing this.  When I was loading the rounds by hand, I was having a hard time and had to push pretty hard to get the round into the magazine.  My thinking is that if I found a way to easily get the round into the magazine, then it must also be coming out pretty easily and into the chamber.

Also, the pistol is more broken in by now.  In any event, my DW 8 round mags are working well.  I am happy.

Offline 605603rwhp

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »
I also have an ECO 9. I have 6 factory Metalform 8 rounds. I use the Uplula and then I tap the mag, (back end) on a hard surface & the tip of the round points/pops up & runs perfectly.

I have a few other 1911 pistols (various calibers) and was told by 2 manufacturers to load new mags & leave them loaded. I've never had any feed issues with any of the guns with any variety of ammo.

I run my 9 round Wilson mags (VBob 9mm) in the ECO as well when at the range. No issues.