Author Topic: baldrage's shooting log  (Read 6876 times)

Offline baldrage

Re: baldrage's shooting log
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
Dry-Fire Friday, March 3, 2017

- 40 wall-fires (with empty casing on top of slide)

- 20 reps draw from concealment, PAR timer 2.0 sec, 6 yards at 2X2 sticky

- 20 reps draw from concealment, shoot one, reload, shoot one, 5 sec PAR, 6 yards at 2X2 stickies

- 20 reps draw from concealment, facing away from target, turn and shoot one at 2X2 sticky

- 40 strong-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- 40 weak-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- A couple of minutes shooting while advancing at and retreating from targets

Offline baldrage

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
Live Fire Training, March 5, 2017

Started off with Dot Torture at 3 yards.  Slowed down, tried to focus really hard on my sights and smooth trigger pull.  44/50 overall -- best I have shot this in quite a while.  Missed 2 on strong hand only (#5) and 2 on weak hand only (#8), then lost my focus at the end and dropped two easy ones on #9 and #10.

03052017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Last time out, walk back drill was outstanding. Today, not so much:

5 yards - 5/5
10 yards - 4/5
15 yards - 4/5
20 yards - 5/5
25 yards - 1/5

Next up, failure to stop drill at 12 yards, 4.0 second facing time, from low-ready.  Did better than last week, 16/20 body shots in the zero, 4/20 in the -1; 8/10 head shots in the zero, 2/10 in the -1.

03052017_FAILURE by baldrage, on Flickr

Have an IDPA classifier this week (my first), so did some extra one-handed shooting practice again -- 5X5 drill (five shots at five yards in five seconds) with both strong and weak-hand.  Did very well on strong hand, hitting 10/10 shots.  Little bit worse with the weak hand - 7/10, but again pulling everything to the right.

03052017_ONE_HAND by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished up with target transition drill -- five index cards in two rows, shot three times at 10 yards, three times at 15 yards.  Almost cleaned it last week, but did pretty poor on this one today.  Caught myself taking up the trigger, then holding it and trying to break the shot at the perfect sight picture, rather than just focusing on the sights and one smooth trigger pull:

Target     10 yards       15 yards
1                  2/3               0/3 (flinched on this one every single time, and knew it)
2                  2/3               2/3
3                  2/3               3/3
4                  3/3               2/3
5                  2/3               2/3 (barely, both shots just nicked the edge of the index card)

Mixed results over all -- better on the Dot Torture and Failure to Stop drills, way worse on the walk-back and target transition drills.  I can feel some significant improvement the last couple of weeks.  I was calling my shots pretty consistently today, and knew right away which shots missed and why. 

Offline Joe L

« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
Try a little mental trick on the weak hand shots.  Think, "pull the trigger to my nose".  Also try slightly less finger insertion in the trigger guard.  I am assuming weak hand is left hand here. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline baldrage

« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2017, 06:29:20 AM »
Dry-Fire Friday, March 10, 2017

- 40 wall-fires (with empty casing on top of slide)

- 20 reps draw from concealment, PAR timer 2.0 sec, 6 yards at 2X2 sticky

- 20 reps draw from concealment, shoot one, reload, shoot one, 5 sec PAR, 6 yards at 2X2 stickies

- 20 reps draw from concealment, facing away from target, turn and shoot one at 2X2 sticky

- 40 strong-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- 40 weak-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- A couple of minutes shooting while advancing at and retreating from targets

- 20 press outs, focused on strong grip (push/pull) and front sight

Offline baldrage

« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »
Try a little mental trick on the weak hand shots.  Think, "pull the trigger to my nose".  Also try slightly less finger insertion in the trigger guard.  I am assuming weak hand is left hand here. 

Joe

Thanks, Joe.  Yes, weak-hand is left hand for me.  Great tip, as always.  I focused on using a bit less finger on the trigger in dry fire and will try the "pull trigger to nose" next tip at the range.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
Live Fire Training, March 12

Ammo - Extreme 124 gr RN plated, 4.2 gr HP-38, mixed brass, 1.125 OACL.

Got three shots into Dot Torture, and the cardboard target hanger fell down.  Yes, it was going to be that kind of outing.

Got another hanger set up, and re-started Dot Torture.  Tried to take my time, but still shot it poorly today -- 38/50.  One-handed shooting was much better (6/6 on strong hand), but dropped a lot of easy shots on #3, 4, 6, and 7.  In retrospect, pretty sure I was over-gripping the gun with my strong hand, causing me to send shots low every time I pulled the trigger.

03122017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched to index card walk-back, shot this one poorly for the second week in a row. Did OK out to 15 yards, then fell apart on 20 and 25.  Can't say what went wrong here, as I thought I had done pretty well, and it wasn't until I reeled the target back in that I saw how poorly I had shot at the longer ranges.

5 yards - 4/5
10 yards - 5/5
15 yards - 5/5
20 yards - 1/5
25 yards - 2/5

Moved to failure to stop drill at 12 yards, 4 second facing time, from low ready, 10 strings of 3 shots.  Got 9/10 head shots, but only 10/20 body shots in the 0 zone, with the other 10 in the -1 zone.  Again, pulled several shots to the left and low.  I was thinking so much about not flinching, that I over-gripped the strong hand, causing me to pull to the left.

03122017_FAILURE by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished with transition drill on six index cards in two rows, shot three times at 10 yards, three times at 15 yards.  Mediocre results this week:

Target     10 yards       15 yards
1                  2/3               3/3
2                  2/3               2/3
3                  2/3               2/3
4                  3/3               2/3
5                  3/3               2/3
6                  3/3               2/3

I equate this to one of those days at the gym, where you have no energy and go through the motions of working out.  You're better for having done it, just for staying in the habit of going, but not a good performance.  Re-learning the lesson not to grip so hard with strong hand was worth it, I guess.  Will work on grip with 70% weak hand/30% strong hand in dry fire this week.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:38 PM »
Dry Fire Friday, March 17

Tried something new tonight, as I think my dry-fire routine was getting stale and rote.  Decided to use a FAST target, and some 1/3 scale IDPA targets, all set up at about six yards.

- 10 slow draws from concealment, focusing on strong weak-hand grip and smooth trigger pull.

- FAST target - 20 draws, shoot 2 and 3X5 box, reload, and 4 shots at five-inch circle.

- 40 strong-hand only shots at FAST target, and three IDPA targets.

- 40 weak-hand only shots at FAST target, and three IDPA targets.

- A couple of minutes' starting with back to targets, draw and advance.  Tried to focus on knees bent, and pulling trigger while my foot was in the air (shot, step, shot, step).  Same drill starting close to targets, draw and retreat.

- 10X10 seconds, gripping the gun HARD with weak hand, engaging chest and shoulder muscles, with a smooth trigger pull at the end of 10 seconds.  Had little sweat going on when this one was done.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
Shot my first IDPA classifier two weeks ago, and finally got my scores back today.  I classified as marksman (MM) class in SSP -- only one step up from novice.  :(  Accurate reflection of where I'm at as a shooter right now, since looking back through this log, I have really been in a slump the last few months.  But, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that in the back of mind, I would pull it together and qualify for SS class.

Scores as follows:

Stage 1
Points Down - 15
Raw Time - 30.9
Score - 45.9

Stage 2
Points Down - 7
Raw Time - 25.75
Score - 32.75

Stage 3
Points Down - 37 (!!!)
Raw Time - 37.51
Score - 74.51

Overall -  153.16    MM

I did OK for me, on stage 1, and I actually had the best overall score on stage 2 out of the 10 people I shot with, but I totally flubbed stage 3 -- numerous flat out mikes (misses) at -5 each just tanked my score.  I knew I was shooting all of the stages way too fast, even as I was doing it, but I just went brain dead at the beep of the start timer.  It was like I had an out-of-body experience watching myself spazz out with no ability to stop it.  We ran the whole classifier through in one go, rather than having the squad take turns shooting each stage, and the down side of that approach was that I did not have a chance to stop and collect myself mentally, and run through the mantra of "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" before each stage. 

On the plus side, I actually scored better on the first two stages than I had feared.  Lots of room for improvement -- all I have do is eliminate a few misses on stage 3 and I am right there in sharpshooter (SS) class (cut-off is 142).  I've got an opportunity to shoot another classifier in April, and my goal is SS class.  In the meantime, I will keep practicing, and will see about getting "SISMOO, SMOOIFAS" ("slow is smooth, smooth is fast") tattooed on my hands as a reminder not to spazz out on the starting beep again!   ;D

Offline baldrage

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »
Dry Fire Friday, March 19

Went back and watched some of the Mike Seeklander videos on grip and recoil control today.  Focused dry-fire tonight on "crushing the walnut" be engaging pecs to really squeeze the grip, and get a 70% weak-hand/30% strong hold.  Felt really good in slow reps, but hard to "crush the walnut" then press out on a fast draw.  Slowed everything down and emphasized form over speed. 

- 50 slow draws from concealment, focusing on strong weak-hand grip and smooth trigger pull.

- FAST target - 20 draws, shoot 2 and 3X5 box, reload, and 4 shots at five-inch circle.

- 40 strong-hand only shots at FAST target, and three IDPA targets.

- 40 weak-hand only shots at FAST target, and three IDPA targets.

- A couple of minutes' starting with back to targets, draw and advance.  Tried to focus on knees bent, and pulling trigger while my foot was in the air (shot, step, shot, step).  Same drill starting close to targets, draw and retreat.

- 10X10 seconds, gripping the gun HARD with weak hand, engaging chest and shoulder muscles, with a smooth trigger pull at the end of 10 seconds.