Author Topic: baldrage's shooting log  (Read 8619 times)

Offline baldrage

Re: baldrage's shooting log
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
Dry-Fire Friday, March 3, 2017

- 40 wall-fires (with empty casing on top of slide)

- 20 reps draw from concealment, PAR timer 2.0 sec, 6 yards at 2X2 sticky

- 20 reps draw from concealment, shoot one, reload, shoot one, 5 sec PAR, 6 yards at 2X2 stickies

- 20 reps draw from concealment, facing away from target, turn and shoot one at 2X2 sticky

- 40 strong-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- 40 weak-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- A couple of minutes shooting while advancing at and retreating from targets

Offline baldrage

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
Live Fire Training, March 5, 2017

Started off with Dot Torture at 3 yards.  Slowed down, tried to focus really hard on my sights and smooth trigger pull.  44/50 overall -- best I have shot this in quite a while.  Missed 2 on strong hand only (#5) and 2 on weak hand only (#8), then lost my focus at the end and dropped two easy ones on #9 and #10.

03052017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Last time out, walk back drill was outstanding. Today, not so much:

5 yards - 5/5
10 yards - 4/5
15 yards - 4/5
20 yards - 5/5
25 yards - 1/5

Next up, failure to stop drill at 12 yards, 4.0 second facing time, from low-ready.  Did better than last week, 16/20 body shots in the zero, 4/20 in the -1; 8/10 head shots in the zero, 2/10 in the -1.

03052017_FAILURE by baldrage, on Flickr

Have an IDPA classifier this week (my first), so did some extra one-handed shooting practice again -- 5X5 drill (five shots at five yards in five seconds) with both strong and weak-hand.  Did very well on strong hand, hitting 10/10 shots.  Little bit worse with the weak hand - 7/10, but again pulling everything to the right.

03052017_ONE_HAND by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished up with target transition drill -- five index cards in two rows, shot three times at 10 yards, three times at 15 yards.  Almost cleaned it last week, but did pretty poor on this one today.  Caught myself taking up the trigger, then holding it and trying to break the shot at the perfect sight picture, rather than just focusing on the sights and one smooth trigger pull:

Target     10 yards       15 yards
1                  2/3               0/3 (flinched on this one every single time, and knew it)
2                  2/3               2/3
3                  2/3               3/3
4                  3/3               2/3
5                  2/3               2/3 (barely, both shots just nicked the edge of the index card)

Mixed results over all -- better on the Dot Torture and Failure to Stop drills, way worse on the walk-back and target transition drills.  I can feel some significant improvement the last couple of weeks.  I was calling my shots pretty consistently today, and knew right away which shots missed and why. 

Offline Joe L

« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »
Try a little mental trick on the weak hand shots.  Think, "pull the trigger to my nose".  Also try slightly less finger insertion in the trigger guard.  I am assuming weak hand is left hand here. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline baldrage

« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2017, 06:29:20 AM »
Dry-Fire Friday, March 10, 2017

- 40 wall-fires (with empty casing on top of slide)

- 20 reps draw from concealment, PAR timer 2.0 sec, 6 yards at 2X2 sticky

- 20 reps draw from concealment, shoot one, reload, shoot one, 5 sec PAR, 6 yards at 2X2 stickies

- 20 reps draw from concealment, facing away from target, turn and shoot one at 2X2 sticky

- 40 strong-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- 40 weak-hand only, two shots at two different targets

- A couple of minutes shooting while advancing at and retreating from targets

- 20 press outs, focused on strong grip (push/pull) and front sight

Offline baldrage

« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »
Try a little mental trick on the weak hand shots.  Think, "pull the trigger to my nose".  Also try slightly less finger insertion in the trigger guard.  I am assuming weak hand is left hand here. 

Joe

Thanks, Joe.  Yes, weak-hand is left hand for me.  Great tip, as always.  I focused on using a bit less finger on the trigger in dry fire and will try the "pull trigger to nose" next tip at the range.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
Live Fire Training, March 12

Ammo - Extreme 124 gr RN plated, 4.2 gr HP-38, mixed brass, 1.125 OACL.

Got three shots into Dot Torture, and the cardboard target hanger fell down.  Yes, it was going to be that kind of outing.

Got another hanger set up, and re-started Dot Torture.  Tried to take my time, but still shot it poorly today -- 38/50.  One-handed shooting was much better (6/6 on strong hand), but dropped a lot of easy shots on #3, 4, 6, and 7.  In retrospect, pretty sure I was over-gripping the gun with my strong hand, causing me to send shots low every time I pulled the trigger.

03122017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched to index card walk-back, shot this one poorly for the second week in a row. Did OK out to 15 yards, then fell apart on 20 and 25.  Can't say what went wrong here, as I thought I had done pretty well, and it wasn't until I reeled the target back in that I saw how poorly I had shot at the longer ranges.

5 yards - 4/5
10 yards - 5/5
15 yards - 5/5
20 yards - 1/5
25 yards - 2/5

Moved to failure to stop drill at 12 yards, 4 second facing time, from low ready, 10 strings of 3 shots.  Got 9/10 head shots, but only 10/20 body shots in the 0 zone, with the other 10 in the -1 zone.  Again, pulled several shots to the left and low.  I was thinking so much about not flinching, that I over-gripped the strong hand, causing me to pull to the left.

03122017_FAILURE by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished with transition drill on six index cards in two rows, shot three times at 10 yards, three times at 15 yards.  Mediocre results this week:

1                  2/3               3/3
3                  2/3               2/3
5                  3/3               2/3
6                  3/3               2/3

I equate this to one of those days at the gym, where you have no energy and go through the motions of working out.  You're better for having done it, just for staying in the habit of going, but not a good performance.  Re-learning the lesson not to grip so hard with strong hand was worth it, I guess.  Will work on grip with 70% weak hand/30% strong hand in dry fire this week.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:38 PM »
Dry Fire Friday, March 17

Tried something new tonight, as I think my dry-fire routine was getting stale and rote.  Decided to use a FAST target, and some 1/3 scale IDPA targets, all set up at about six yards.

- 10 slow draws from concealment, focusing on strong weak-hand grip and smooth trigger pull.

- FAST target - 20 draws, shoot 2 and 3X5 box, reload, and 4 shots at five-inch circle.

- 40 strong-hand only shots at FAST target, and three IDPA targets.

- 40 weak-hand only shots at FAST target, and three IDPA targets.

- A couple of minutes' starting with back to targets, draw and advance.  Tried to focus on knees bent, and pulling trigger while my foot was in the air (shot, step, shot, step).  Same drill starting close to targets, draw and retreat.

- 10X10 seconds, gripping the gun HARD with weak hand, engaging chest and shoulder muscles, with a smooth trigger pull at the end of 10 seconds.  Had little sweat going on when this one was done.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
Shot my first IDPA classifier two weeks ago, and finally got my scores back today.  I classified as marksman (MM) class in SSP -- only one step up from novice.  :(  Accurate reflection of where I'm at as a shooter right now, since looking back through this log, I have really been in a slump the last few months.  But, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that in the back of mind, I was hoping I would pull it together and qualify for SS class.

Scores as follows:

Stage 1
Points Down - 15
Raw Time - 30.9
Score - 45.9

Stage 2
Points Down - 7
Raw Time - 25.75
Score - 32.75

Stage 3
Points Down - 37 (!!!)
Raw Time - 37.51
Score - 74.51

Overall -  153.16    MM

I did OK for me, on stage 1, and I actually had the best overall score on stage 2 out of the 10 people I shot with, but I totally flubbed stage 3 -- numerous flat out mikes (misses) at -5 each just tanked my score.  I knew I was shooting all of the stages way too fast, even as I was doing it, but I just went brain dead at the beep of the start timer.  It was like I had an out-of-body experience watching myself spazz out with no ability to stop it.  We ran the whole classifier through in one go, rather than having the squad take turns shooting each stage, and the down side of that approach was that I did not have a chance to stop and collect myself mentally, and run through the mantra of "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" before each stage. 

On the plus side, I actually scored better on the first two stages than I had feared.  Lots of room for improvement -- all I have do is eliminate a few misses on stage 3 and I am right there in sharpshooter (SS) class (cut-off is 142).  I've got an opportunity to shoot another classifier in April, and my goal is SS class.  In the meantime, I will keep practicing, and will see about getting "SISMOO, SMOOIFAS" ("slow is smooth, smooth is fast") tattooed on my hands as a reminder not to spazz out on the starting beep again!   ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:35:29 PM by baldrage »

Offline baldrage

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »
Dry Fire Friday, March 19

Went back and watched some of the Mike Seeklander videos on grip and recoil control today.  Focused dry-fire tonight on "crushing the walnut" be engaging pecs to really squeeze the grip, and get a 70% weak-hand/30% strong hold.  Felt really good in slow reps, but hard to "crush the walnut" then press out on a fast draw.  Slowed everything down and emphasized form over speed. 

- 50 slow draws from concealment, focusing on strong weak-hand grip and smooth trigger pull.

- FAST target - 20 draws, shoot 2 and 3X5 box, reload, and 4 shots at five-inch circle.

- A couple of minutes' starting with back to targets, draw and advance.  Tried to focus on knees bent, and pulling trigger while my foot was in the air (shot, step, shot, step).  Same drill starting close to targets, draw and retreat.

- 10X10 seconds, gripping the gun HARD with weak hand, engaging chest and shoulder muscles, with a smooth trigger pull at the end of 10 seconds. 

Offline baldrage

« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2017, 09:05:14 PM »
I have started trying to do 10-15 minutes of dry-fire every day, rather than relying on one or two longer sessions per week.  I hung a dot torture target down in my workshop by my reloading bench, and I've been doing dryfires at 3 and 5 yards, focused on good sight picture and steady trigger pull.  I end with one ten-second hold at each of the ten target dots, really squeezing the heck out of the gun, before pulling the trigger.

Have kept with it pretty well, managed to do it about 10 times over the last two weeks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:26:33 PM by baldrage »

Offline baldrage

« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
Dry Fire Friday, March 31

Continued focus on "crushing the walnut" by engaging pecs to really squeeze the grip, and get a 70% weak-hand/30% strong-hand, push-pull hold.  Medium pace, emphasis on form over speed.

- FAST target - 20 draws, shoot 2 at 3X5 box, reload, and 4 shots at five-inch circle.

- 10X10 seconds, gripping the gun HARD with weak hand, engaging chest and shoulder muscles, with a smooth trigger pull at the end of 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:38:40 AM by baldrage »

Offline baldrage

« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
Live Fire Training, April 2, 2017

Using 124 gr Extreme RN, with 4.2 gr HP-38.

Started with Dot Torture at 3 yards.  Did 10-15 dry-fires as warm up.  Scored 42/50, dropped some easy ones on #2 and #3, missed two on weak-hand only.

04022017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Did well on walk back drill today:
5 yards - 5/5
10 yards - 5/5
15 yards - 4/5
20 yards - 3/5
25 yards - 4/5

Practiced some additional weak-hand only (6/10) and strong-hand (9/10) only at 7 yards:

04022017_WHO_SHO by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched over to 124 gr RMR RN, 4.2 gr HP38.

Failure to stop drill, 30 shots at 12 yards, 4-second facing time, from low ready.  Did well, 10/10 head shots, 15/20 in the down zero, with 5 additional in the -1 zone, no flyers.

04022017_FAILURE by baldrage, on Flickr

Last drill was transition drill on six 4X6 index cards in two rows, shot three times at 10 yards, three times at 15 yards.  Mediocre results again this week.  Interesting that I again did the worst on targets 3 and 5, which are the center targets in each row and should theoretically be the easiest:

1                  2/3               2/3
3                  2/3               0/3
4                  1/3               3/3
5                  2/3               1/3
6                  2/3               3/3

Overall, I was pleased for not having done any live-fire in two and half weeks.  Dry-fire focus on strong grip with support hand helped, and I generally had a good focus on sights today.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
Shot my second IDPA match of the season this weekend.  It was another classifier, and my goal was to make Sharp Shooter, which I had missed by about 10 seconds when I shot my first classifier last month.  I ended up coming very close, but missed making my goal due to a single mental mistake that resulted in a procedural error on stage three. 

Here are my scores for each stage:

Stage 1
Down – 12 (had a -5 miss on a head-shot)
Time – 35.12
Score – 47.12

Stage 2
Down – 5
Time – 30
Score – 35

Stage 3
Down – 17
Time – 49.12 (including 3 second procedural error penalty)
Score – 66.12

Total down – 34
Total time – 114.24
Total score  – 148.24

My focus going in to this match was to SLOW DOWN and focus on good sight picture for each shot.  Basically, not to spazz out once the start buzzer went off.  Mission accomplished.  At the command “Shooter, are you ready?” at the beginning of each stage, before I responded “ready,” I closed my eyes, repeated the mantra “Slow is smooth, smooth is fast” in my head, and pictured Clint Eastwood in the movie Unforgiven (in the scene where he very slowly and deliberately guns down a bunch of guys in a barroom).  Sounds silly, but it really helped – I did not shoot too fast on any of the stages, and my total points down (34 total) was almost half what it was when I shot the same classifier last month (59 total). 

I had one miss on a head shot on stage 1 that resulted in a -5 penalty, which really hurt my score for that stage, but at least I was able to call the shot as it happened – a good sign that I am improving as a shooter.  Scoring was -9 on Target 1 (left most), 0 on Target 2 (center), and -3 on Target 3 (right).  My -5 miss was a head-shot on Target 1, and I lost another couple of points on single-handed shooting, so I need to continue working on that.

I shot Stage 2 very well (scoring was -2, -1, -2 on Targets 1, 2, and 3, respectively) – weekly dry-fire practice on shooting while advancing and retreating paid off.

Stage 3, scoring distribution was -5, -6, and -6 on Targets 1, 2, and 3 respectively.  I shot OK for me (I had 37 down on this stage alone the last time I shot it, so 50% improvement in accuracy), but I had a mental cramp during the first course of fire, and started moving from behind cover before I completed my reload.  The SO yelled out “Hey!” which caused me to freeze and look back at him for two seconds, then he yelled “Keep going!” so I completed the stage, and afterwards he informed that I had committed a Procedural Error (3 second penalty) by leaving cover with an empty gun.  I know the IDPA rules require you to reload behind cover, so can’t explain why I started to move, but lesson learned and I likely won’t make that mistake again. 

The cut-off for Sharp Shooter classification is 142 seconds, so that 3 second PE penalty and associated 2-3 seconds pause while I looked back at the SO caused me to fall just short of my goal.  The title/classification itself is kind of meaningless, but I was looking at 142 seconds as more of concrete, qualitative goal on which to focus my training and self-improvement.  So, very frustrating to come so close and just fall short, knowing that one mental hiccup likely prevented me from reaching that goal, but still encouraging to know that I am making improvement and very close to reaching it.  This was my fourth match going back to last fall, and this was the first time where it felt like everything slowed down for me and I was comfortable. Only hiccup was that the SO gave me a bit of a hard time on manually de-clocking my SP01, and I had to explain to him that since it was a manual safety, DA/SA gun and IDPA rules for SSP require me to start hammer down, that I had no choice but to manually decock the gun. 

Aside from the frustration of my PE, I had a great time.  Weather was beautiful, and as usual, the folks at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club ran a safe, friendly, and fun match.  I had several first-time IDPA shooters on my squad, and the SO and Match Director (and the other shooters) went out of their way to make them feel welcome, explain everything, and help them through the match.  Bummed that I will miss the next two monthly matches due to family commitments!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
An RO should not be heard or seen except for safety actions.  When a shooter is totally focussed on shooting the stage,  an oral or visual distraction can blow the stage.
  It's happened to me more than once.  I tried to politely tell the RO after the "...and holster" command.  It's not something you can't practice for.  On the other hand,  being able to cope with the unexpected isn't necessarily a bad thing IF everyone shooting gets the same and it's not a classifier stage.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2017, 07:08:43 AM »
Live Fire Training - April 11, 2017

Ammo used:  Extreme 124 gr RN, 4.3 gr HP-38, 1.125 OAL, WSP primers

Dot torture at 3 yards - 43/50.  Did OK, half the misses came on SHO/WHO targets.  Dropped a couple of shots here and there where I lost focus and peeked at the target, rather than focusing on sights and smooth trigger pull.

04112017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Walk-back drill was terrible this week:  I actually had zero hits on 20 and 25 on my first attempt, so ran the target back out and tried again.  Results were marginally better:
5 yards - 5/5
10 yards - 4/5
15 yards - 4/5
20 yards - 2/5
20 yards - 2/5

Single-handed shooting at 7 yards, 10 shots at each target (40 total).  Did terrible on left (weak) hand -- 12/20; too much trigger finger pulled everything to the right (bottom target).  Once I "choked up" on the trigger further toward the tip of my finger, shots came back on target (upper target).  Right hand felt good, 17/20.

04112017_WHO-SHO (1) by baldrage, on Flickr

Failure to stop drill, 12 yards, 4 second facing time from low ready, 10 reps of 3 shots each (30 shots total): 9/10 head shots, 15/20 in the zero, 4 in the -1, 1 flyer in -3.

04112017_FAILURE by baldrage, on Flickr

Transition drill (six 4X6 index cards in two rows, shot three times at 10 yards, three times at 15 yards).  Mediocre results for the third training session in a row (actually did OK at 10 yards, but very poor at 15, so mediocre overall).  Disappointing, because I was making an extra effort on smooth trigger pull, and following through on each shot -- I did not "call" any misses as I was shooting it, so not sure why I did so poorly.  Perhaps I was unconsciously flinching:

1                  3/3               3/3
2                  2/3               1/3
3                  2/3               1/3
5                  3/3               1/3
6                  3/3               1/3

Finished up by testing some new reloads - RMR 115 gr FMJ with 5.1 and 5.3 gr WSF, 1.120 OAL, S&B primers (I had previously tested a ladder of 4.7, 4.9, 5.1, and 5.3 gr WSF).  25 shots of each at 7 yards as fast as I could, about 3 shots/second; played around a bit with trigger reset and had one really nice group -- will experiment with that a bit more on my next live-fire training session.  The 115 gr FMJ with WSF had a bit more snap than the 124 gr bullets with HP-38 I have been using as my standard load, but after the first 3-4 shots, I was focused on the target and didn't really notice.  Would be a good practice load or back-up if I couldn't find any 124 gr bullets.  Couldn't really tell any difference in accuracy or recoil between 5.1 gr WSF and 5.3 gr WSF.  Think I will split the difference and load up a hundred at 5.2 gr WSF.

anything