Author Topic: baldrage's shooting log  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Joe L

Re: baldrage's shooting log
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2017, 12:04:11 AM »
I never got around to modifying the Kadet firing pin.  I got distracted with plastic gun stuff.  With a SAO 75B and a preference for a pretty heavy trigger anyway, I don't need to make a Kadet run with a light hammer spring.  But, I SHOULD try it myself.  It should help a bunch.  My Kadet is just a grimy mess right now. 

Keep at it. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, several SIG P226's, AR-15, Savage 308 bolt gun,

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:03 AM »
Before modification, I had to carry the dedicated frame with heavier main spring to use with Kadets. Now I have an option of using frames with lighter mainsprings and better triggers and can go to the range with one frame and multiple slides.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:22 PM »
Did you try to file Kadet Firing pin to improve the lite strikes situation? Mine two Kadet kits after FP modification work on two frames with 13lb main springs more then 99% reliable on multiple ammo.
The FP modification involve filing off top corner of the FP, to avoid crushing very end of the rim and deliver more penetration just inside the rim on the brass.
FP on Kadet is easy to remove/install without full slide disassembly and replacement is cheap if you ruin it. I bought two extras just in case, but never needed them.

Have not attempted the FP firing pin mod -- I was waiting to see if others were able to re-create painter's experience and see if someone posted an "Idiot's Guide" to the modification, before I tried it!

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2017, 02:01:20 PM »
The picture on painter's thread says it all. Go slow, few stroks of file at the time and watch for the indent shape on the spent brass. I remove FP without even slide removal. Just lock slide in the back position. The last one for the friend took total about 15-20 min with Leathermen Multitool (diamond file) right on the range and tested after each few file strokes. Lighter FP pin is needed. Mine are stolen from the ballpoint pens.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »
Live Fire Training, July 6, 2017

Started w/Kadet kit and Dot Torture at 3 yards.  44/50 -- flinched on the first two shots, then pulled it together and hit 44 out of the next 48:

07062917_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Walk-back drill -- shot well, and pretty consistent:

5 yards - 5/5
10 yards - 5/5
15 yards - 5/5 (4/5)
20 yards - 4/5 (4/5)
25 yards - 3/5 (3/5)

New drill - press out at 3 yards.  Intent is get rid of my flinch on first DA shot in a string.  Shot 1 round (DA) five times at all three targets on the top, then 2 shots five times at first targets on the bottom, then three shots four times at last target on the bottom.  Results were much better than I expected, only missed 6 out of 47 shots:

07062017_PRESSOUT by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched over to 9 mm, shooting RMR 124 gr plated RN, 4.2 gr HP-38, 1.125 COAL, mixed brass, WSPP.

Strong-hand/weak-hand drill at 7 yards - hit 9/10 SHO, 11/15 WHO.  Still pulling some WHO to the right ...

07062017_SHO_WHO by baldrage, on Flickr

Switched over to two new loads -- RMR 124 gr FMJ, loaded at both 4.4 gr HP-38 and 4.5 gr HP-38, 1.125 COAL, Win brass, WSPP.

IDPA drill on 1/3 scale targets at 7 yards -- 2 shots to each body, then 2 shots to each head.  Shot this very well -- I would take these scores in a match!

07062017_IDPA by baldrage, on Flickr

Round 1:   - 7 (one head shot just missed -- nicked the top of the head barely outside the scoring area for -5)
Round 2:    -1
Round 3:   - 0
Round 4:   - 2
Round 5:   - 1

Finished up shooting full-size IDPA target, head box at 15 yards, and seated, with wrists resting on my range bag at 20 yards at the 0 zone.  Trying to test accuracy of these two different loads.  My first time shooting with wrists resting on my bag, I think I would have done better just standing and shooting free style.  I'll give the nod to 4.4 gr HP-38, based on result of head shots.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »
Live Fire Training - July 18, 2017

Primary intent tonight was to compare different types of .22 ammo and some 9mm handloads.  Also wanted a good function test of the pistol as I had a pin walk out earlier in the week and I wanted to ensure everything was working OK before my IDPA match the following weekend.

Started with Kadet, Federal Automatch .22 - Dot torture at 3 yards.  44/50, dropped two on target #1, then settled down and only missed 4 out of the next 48 shots.  Had 2 light strikes out of 50 rounds, both fired with a second trigger pull in DA :

07182017_DOT by baldrage, on Flickr

Press-out drill at 3 yards, from low ready, trying to focus on pulling the trigger before I bring the gun to full extension -- intent is to reduce my tendency to flinch on first DA shot in a string.  Top row were all single DA shots, bottom row was all double-taps, first shot in DA.  I went 1/5 on the first target, then 5/5, 4/5, 9/10, 9/10, and 9/10.  This was shot w/CCI Mini-mags -- had 5 light strikes out of 45 shots, all fired with another trigger pull in DA.

07182017_PRESS_OUT by baldrage, on Flickr

Walk-back drill, 4X6 index cards, with Minimags on the first attempt, then CCI Standard Velocity on the second and third attempts.  Did not do as well at 20 and 25 yards this week, but 4/5 on the last string at 25 yards was a nice way to end this drill.

5 yards - 5/5
10 yards - 5/5
15 yards - 5/5 (2/5)
20 yards - 3/5 (3/5, 1/5)
25 yards - 2/5 (1/5, 4/5)

Switched over to 9 mm, first drill was SHO and WHO at 7 yards using RMR 124 gr plated RN, 4.3 gr HP-38, 1.125 COAL.  Forget to bring my usual 5" circle targets, so made-do with with larger 7" circle on a couple of FAST targets.  Shot well, 19/20 WHO, 10/10 SHO in the circle, and 3/5 in the 3X5 box.

07182017_WHO_SHO by baldrage, on Flickr

Next up, wanted to compare how a new load with RMR 124 gr FMJ RN compared in accuracy and recoil to my standard RMR 124 gr plated RN.  First up, my standard load - 124 gr RMR plated RN, 4.3 gr HP-38, 1.125 COAL, WSPP.  Head shots free-style at 15 yards, about 2 shots/second, body shots at 20 yards, free style, about 2/shots/second:

07182017_124RMR_HCRN by baldrage, on Flickr

Next, the new 124 gr RMR FMJ RN, 4.5 gr HP-38, 1.125 COAL, WSPP.

07182017_124RMR_FMJ by baldrage, on Flickr

Results were kind of a wash -- a few more flyers with the plated bullets, but that's due to me, not the bullets.  Groups were a bit smaller and recoil was just tad bit less with the 4.3 gr plated, felt like my sites got back on target slightly faster. Either would be adequate for use in IDPA.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2017, 12:41:09 PM »
I ventured over the Potomac River into the People’s Democratic Republic of Maryland again on Saturday to shoot an IDPA match at the Anne Arundel Fish and Game Club (AAFG).  Traveling with a firearm in Maryland still makes me a bit nervous, but I do relish participating in a shooting competition in a state that is decidedly un-friendly to 2A rights!

Staff at AAFG is very friendly, and ran a safe, efficient, and fun match on a day in which temperature approached 100 degrees and humidity was so high you could almost see the bullets leaving a wake through the thick, wet air.  Overall, this was a tough match – five of the six stages were “limited” scoring (no make-up shots) and involved numerous targets from 15- 25 yards, the majority of which were covered by no-shoots.  The MD commented that the match had been designed in honor of one of their founding members who was a bullseye shooter.  If this were a golf match, these would have been PAR 5 holes!  I guess my practice at walk-back drill out to 25 yards paid off, as I finished 10th out of 42 shooters, second out of 20 SSP shooters and first in MM class. Of the 9 shooters that finished ahead of me, 2 were classified as Masters, and 2 as Expert. On a day in which everyone’s scores were tanking due to hitting no-shoots, I made it through the entire match hitting only 2 no-shoots, so very pleased with my performance. 

This match contained a couple of things I had not done before – firing SHO while moving, and firing SHO from retention.  I did OK on those, but need to add SHO on the move to my dry-fire routine.  Also had one stage that required tactical reloads/reloads with retention – fortunately, that is something that I have practiced in dry-fire, so I was able to do it smoothly and quickly, while most of the other shooters fumbled around with trying to pocket their mags.  This reinforced my belief that time spent practicing reloads is more valuable than trying to shave a few tenths of a second off of my draw.
For the record, I shot the match using RMR 124 gr plated RN, 4.3 gr HP-38, 1.125 COAL, with my SP01 Shadow Custom (13.5# hammer spring).

A great day, even with the heat.  I have often heard “a bad day shooting is still better than a good day working,” but a good day shooting is the best!

Will update with some pictures when I get them off my phone and uploaded to my Flickr account.  Update w/pictures:

This is one of the typical stages ... view here is about 15 yards, there were two additional barrels further back (not pictured) at about 20 yards.

IMG_20170722_095545 by baldrage, on Flickr

This was the first stage I shot ... four targets stapled together, all partially covered by no-shoots or hard cover.  Shooter started out facing the target at five yards (first orange cone on the ground), drew and fired one shot at each target while retreating to 10 yards, then one shot at each while retreating to 15 yards, then again to 20 yards.

IMG_20170722_095507 by baldrage, on Flickr

Wide-angle shot of one of the AAFG action pistol bays below ... they normally run two stages on each each bay to make the most out of their limited real estate.  The stage on right involved shooting SHO from retention at the 3 targets by the cones (2 partially covered by no-shoot) in tactical sequence, 2 shots each; then dropping prop from weak-hand and shooting them all again while retreating (again in tactical sequence); then one head shot on each while still retreating. 

The stage on the left of this bay was a bank-heist scenario; shooter started out with their hands on the teller's "window" (the railing that is partially visible in the foreground), then engaged the targets through the railing, then retreating to the various barrels and shooting them again.  Note the numerous no-shoot "hostages" -- some tricky shots from around cover at 12-15 yards!

IMG_20170722_091802 by baldrage, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:45:08 PM by baldrage »

anything