Author Topic: baldrage's shooting log  (Read 18894 times)

Offline baldrage

Re: baldrage's shooting log
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
Dry fire practice -- now including draws from holster:

- All shots at 6 yds, at 2X2 sticky
- 20 wallfire (DA), w/spent shell casing on top of the slide
- 20 slow draws from concealment
- 20 fast draws from concealment and fire one shot (DA), 2.5 second PAR
- 20 fast draws from concealment and fire (DA) two shots, with target transitions, 3.5 second PAR
- 20 strong-hand only (DA), focused on tucking elbow
- 20 weak-hand only (DA), focused on tucking elbow

Offline baldrage

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
Dry fire practice -- now including draws from holster:

- 20 fast draws from concealment and fire (DA) two shots, with target transitions, 3.5 second PAR
- 10 fast draws, no concealment, and fire one shot (DA), 1.5 second PAR

One the draws from the concealment, felt like I made most of the times with a good sight picture and .1 or .2 seconds to spare, but I'll hold off on going any faster for another couple of sessions so I can focus on good technique and getting a good drip consistently.

The last session of draws from no concealment, I was just curious to see how fast I could go.  Made it within the 1.5 second time 5 of out 10 draws, so could probably do it at 1.75 consistently, at least in dry-fire, where no one ever misses!

Offline baldrage

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2016, 09:45:25 PM »
Standard dry fire session:

- 10 fast draws, no concealment, and fire one shot (DA), 1.5 second PAR

Offline baldrage

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
Doesn't look like I will be able to get to the range for live-fire this week, due to various end-of-school-year events for daughter and family camping trip this weekend.  Oh well, at least I found time to keep working on dry-fire.

Just finished standard dry fire session, tried to speed up the draws a tad, with pretty good results:

- 20 slow draws from concealment, focusing on good technique
- 20 fast draws from concealment and fire one shot (DA), 10 draws at 2.5 second PAR, and 10 draws at 2.4 second PAR (got good sight picture on 8 out of 10)
- 20 fast draws from concealment and fire (DA) two shots, with target transitions, 10 draws at 3.5 second PAR, 10 draws at 3.4 second PAR (got 9/10)

Also of note:  the instructor at my concealed carry course strongly recommended that everyone involved in shooting sports or concealed carry should have a first aid/trauma kit in their range bag or on their person and get some basic medical training.  Events of last weekend have driven home the wisdom of that advice, not only for accidental gun mishaps at the range, but also for various other heinous scenarios.  I have signed up for a Red Cross adult and pediatric first Aid/CPR class next month (doesn't cover gun shot wounds, but I figured it was a good idea with two small kids in the house), and a day-long trauma/survival medicine training course in the Fall (which definitely covers gun shot wounds).  Received some basic trauma medical supplies and basic first aid kit from Amazon yesterday (tourniquet, pressure bandage, Quickclot sponge, etc.).  Have been watching youtube videos and reading US Army First Aid manual to get the basics down in order to have at least some rudimentary knowledge of how to apply this stuff prior to my training classes.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »
Haven't been to the range in 3 weeks and it showed!  Still good to get out and knock off some rust.

First up - Dot Torture at 3 yards, shot mostly DA, got 44/50, with 3 of the misses coming from weak-hand only shooting (although they were all in virtually the same hole, so at least I get points for missing consistently):

06222016_Dot_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Next up, 5X5 Drill, from low ready, 5 second PAR.  In retrospect, I think I was not waiting for the sights to settle before I shot and was not gripping strongly enough to get the sights back down in time.  May have also been jerking the trigger:

06222016_5X5_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished up my 9mm work with Mozambique drill at 7 yards, from low ready, DA/SA, 4 second PAR, 6 strings of 3 shots.  Only hit 2 out 6 head shots (although 2 more were on the head silhouette, but just missed my 2X2 sticky).  Again, thinking back on it, I may have been jerking the trigger:

06222016_Mozambique_9 by baldrage, on Flickr

Next, moved on to the Kadet Kit and some .22.  Started with another Dot Torture at 3 yards, mostly shot in DA.  Did great - 49/50, or 50/50 if you count the one miss which just grazed the #6 target:

06222016_Dot_22 by baldrage, on Flickr

Finished up with a new drill to work on getting off that first shot in DA, the "Press Six" drill.  This involves:

#1 - Fire 1, no time limit (10 times)
#2 - Fire 1, 3 second time limit (x10)
#3 - Fire 1, 2 seconds (x10)
#4 - Fire 2, no time limit (x5)
#5 - Fire 2, 3 seconds (x5)
#6, - Fire 3, 3 seconds (x4)

All shots from DA, or DA/SA for #5 and #6, from 5 yards.  Did pretty well, some of the misses on #5 and #6 were because I had light strikes on the follow-up SA shots, forcing me to shoot again in DA mode, so pulling the trigger 3 - 5 times to get off 2 or 3 shots within the time constraints.

06222016_Pressout_22 by baldrage, on Flickr

All in all, a good outing.  I was definitely anticipating recoil a bit and jerking the trigger during the 9mm part of this session -- shows how perishable this skill is after missing only a few weeks of live fire drills.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
Perishable skills indeed.  Sometimes, however, one breaks bad habits when missing a few weeks shooting as well as some good ones.  I have learned to be very attentive to the fundamentals the first time out after missing a week or two.  Only takes one or two outings to recover.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline baldrage

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
6/26 - Dry training

Tried something new today.  I got a laser training cartridge (https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Training-Laser-Cartridge-9mm/dp/B00R66IPTY?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims) and installed the free Sharp Spotter training software (http://northosoft.com/sharpspotter/HTML/index.html) so I could do some reactive dry fire training.

Started off with 20 wall fires.

Next, fired up the laser cartridge and did some timed draws, 6 yards, shooting at 2X2 sticky with a PAR time of 2.5 seconds, from concealment (OWB, about 3:30 position).  Worked this for about 20 minutes.  This was much better than simply using a timer, as the Sharp Spotter software was able to record the actual shot time, rather than simply counting down time.  I could hit 2.5 second PAR pretty comfortably, unless I completely muffed the draw.  Best time scoring a "hit" was 2.21 seconds, best draw with a near "miss" was around 2.1 seconds.

Also used the laser and Sharp Spotter to do some one-handed shooting, 20 shots each both strong hand only and weak-hand only.

Overall, good training session, especially working the drawstroke.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
6/28 Dry-Fire Training

- 20 wall-fires (with empty casing on top of slide)

- 20 minutes of working on draw, with laser cartridge and Sharp Spotter software.  6 yards, from concealment at 3:30, target was 2X2 sticky note.  Best time with a "hit" was 2.28 seconds, best time with a "near miss" was 2.07 seconds.  Was having problems with my concealment garment (long-sleeve, button-down shirt) sticking to my t-shirt and fouling my draw.  Note to self -- make sure I wear a tighter-fitting t-shirt when training/competing/carrying.

- 20 single-hand only

- 20 weak-hand only

Offline baldrage

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2016, 08:15:25 AM »
Back from family vacation ... Dry-Fire Training, July 13

- 40 wall-fires (with empty casing on top of slide)

- 10 minutes of working on draw, with laser cartridge and Sharp Spotter software; 6 yards, from concealment at 3:30, target was 2X2 sticky note; best time with a "hit" was 2.18 seconds;

- 20 single-hand only

- 20 weak-hand only

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2016, 06:36:59 PM »
What distance are you practicing the laser training at? I'd love to work on weak hand shooting and see if I'm jerking without the fear of dropping a loaded firearm.

Offline baldrage

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2016, 11:11:32 AM »
What distance are you practicing the laser training at? I'd love to work on weak hand shooting and see if I'm jerking without the fear of dropping a loaded firearm.

Six yards - 18 feet - basically the length of my basement.  I use a 2 inch by 2 inch sticky note as a target to simulate a larger target at greater distances.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »
Not bad, do you find that the laser target shooting is relatively similar to how you would shoot at an actual range?

Offline baldrage

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2016, 09:29:44 PM »
Not bad, do you find that the laser target shooting is relatively similar to how you would shoot at an actual range?

It is helpful for working on one-shot drills, like drawing from holster, or slow one-handed firing.  There is no recoil, obviously, so it is of no help in trying to work on speed drills involving multiple shots.  I think it works best with laser-detection software, or one of the laser-lyte targets.  Your natural inclination is to "peek" at the laser on every shot, rather than focusing on front sight, without software or a laser-lyte target, it could actually be detrimental.

Not sure if the laser is accurate enough to be a good judge of trigger slapping/jerking.  The laser cartridge rolls around a bit inside the chamber, and at six yards, seems like it can sometimes be an inch off of POA.  A cheaper way to see if you jerking the trigger with your weak hand shooting would just be to use the old empty-shell-casing-balanced-on-top-of-the-slide trick.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2016, 10:07:13 PM »
Ah darn, thanks for the information.

I like doing that trick except it's just a pain setting it after every time I pull the hammer back!

Online Tok36

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 12:00:50 AM »
I just stumbled upon this thread. Interesting stuff.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)