Author Topic: slide racker  (Read 1221 times)

Offline yar

slide racker
« on: April 13, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
Just got me kadet kit for my 75sa. I wondering if it would be practical to install a slide racker on it. Looking at the rear left hand portion of the slide it looks like it could be drilled and tapped for some sort of slide racker. Has anyone tried this? Would the extra weight (wouldn't be much) affect the way the gun cycles?

Walt-Sherrill

slide racker
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 04:26:06 AM »
What is a slide racker?

Only a small portion of the slide -- an insert in the slide -- actually moves.  (It doesn't work like a 9mm or .40, in which the entire slide must move to chamber or cycle.)  Its really not a strong spring, either.

The fact that the slide, barrel and sights are FIXED and never change in relationship to one another is one of the reason for the Kadet's inherent accuracy.

Offline yar

slide racker
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 06:45:41 AM »
A slide racker is a external cocking handle. I am interested in possible drilling and tapping the section where the slide moves (right around the mark that you line up to remove the slide).
            Then installing the external cocking handle.

The Kadet is kind of difficult to charge using the slingshot method. If I had a slide racker it would be a lot easier. I plan on using this set up mostly for local steel matches.

Walt-Sherrill

slide racker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 03:00:44 PM »
If you try, be careful, as you'll be drilling into the slide in an area where you might interfere with the firing pin assembly.

Anything you do would arguably interfere with the gun working with a holster.

I sure wouldn't do it -- but its your gun, not mine.

You wrote:

Quote:
The Kadet is kind of difficult to charge using the slingshot method. If I had a slide racker it would be a lot easier. I plan on using this set up mostly for local steel matches.
How would you use a .22 in steel matches, or getting ready for steel matches?  Except for the first shot from the holster, I don't see where it would be of much use, with the Kadet Kit mounted.  

(Maybe there's more to steel matches than I appreciate?)

Offline yar

slide racker
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 12:19:07 AM »
I looked at the portion I'm interested in drilling and tapping. It does not look like there is anything but metal there, and would not interfer with the firing pin. It is also far enough back that it would not interfer with most holsters, and I plan on using a race holster such as the Ghost.

As far as steel matched there are both the type with the falling plates, and the ones with static steel. The .22 pistols work fine for static steel, such as the steel challenge. For falling steel it would not take half the plates on a course of fire.

anything