Author Topic: VZ58 Bon-Spec Forces Bayonet Group Buy  (Read 26506 times)

Offline gwvt

Re: VZ58 Bon-Spec Forces Bayonet Group Buy
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
Yeah, it could be a weak spring on the button, the tab doesn't stick out as far as on the other one. I'll have a look when I can and post my results.

I took a couple pics.

I posted to the Uton thread as well but I guess I'll post a pic here. I  found that I could stuff the lanyard into the front pocket on the sheath and then with the main blade sheathed, you can pull out just enough lanyard to put the pin into the handle to hold the spike or saw, then close the retention snap on the sheath to trap the pin.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:10:16 AM by gwvt »

Offline felix

« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2016, 04:36:33 PM »
RSR - PM sent
Love to play with fast women, sharp knives & loud guns, if the wife says it's okay....

Offline Enthusiasm

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2016, 06:54:52 PM »
Got mine today!!! Totally satisfied!
Did not expect the sheath to be so nice. My button works good. And man that is one sharp bayonet
RSR is the man! Well worth the wait

Offline jspy52

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2016, 10:19:03 PM »
Got mine in the mail today as well. Very impressive blades.
I haven't gotten the chance to check for fit but overall I'm happy with purchase.
Thanks again RSR for doing this group buy.

Offline armed hiker

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2016, 09:57:24 AM »
My two blades came in today and I am very happy with them thank you RSR!

Mine is loser than oem on the bayonet mount so I measured the channels of a few of my oem bayonets and the new one is almost 1mm wider causing the play. not sure if it was a mistake on manufacture or if they were trying to fix a problem that they saw in the field of the bayonets being too tight. My guess is someone was not paying attention when they machined the channels and it is simply out of spec.

Not going to effect me in the least.  I am curious why they simply did not modify the oem bayonets as I do not see any thing better on the new one that could not have been modified to the old one. It is a wider blade but I do not see that being an issue and that grip is much better on the new bayonet I wonder if a replacement grip could have been put on the old bayonet. I wonder what it looks like under the new grip?

being a collector curio item is great but if going to war I am not sure if I would choose one over the other.

The uton knife is very cool I like the multi tool aspect of it and yes the sheath is great too. On that note does anyone know what the hole and pouch on the front was made for?  now we need to make the video on sharpening the uton a sticky.

Thanks again RSR

Offline RSR

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »
As mentioned earlier, the tang/handle appears to be new construction and one piece cast from cross guard to buttplate.  The Czech site lists the handle rubber as poured.

The blade is a Mikov blade designed to hold edge and proper hardness for both a general purpose field/fighting knife as well as, probably secondarily, a bayonet.  It appears to be a standard Mikov forged blade...
EDIT: When reading the Czech description posted earlier, it reads as if the point might be tempered or otherwise softened to lessen chance of breaking/snapping off...

The original bayonets had blades that were of a softer mild steel to prevent breakage in use.  So the material of the blade is a big difference.  And I believe the old bayonets, looking at them, were cast as well as one piece from tip of blade to end of tang.

There are probably other differences I am not seeing as well. 

Being cast, I think the front sight block channel is probably cast at that size.  The only milling I'm seeing is where they drilled the hole for the lug plunger. 
I don't see any functional harm in channel being a little loose.  The lug portion is round and can rotate in use.  The little wobble isn't such that side forces on the blade would allow a tremendous amount of leverage on the lug before arresting against one side or the other of the rear portion of the fsb bayonet lug.

In a modern military, I see bayonets as primarily a CYA for brass and civilian leadership insofar as they completely fail in getting adequate ammo supplies or air or artillery support to troops, they still have a standoff weapon for close combat rather than having to go directly to fists and knives...  Remember that bayonets were originally intended to allow riflemen to perform in that role as well as lancers or pikemen or spearmen (not sure which is the correct description actually)...

On the uton, gwvt posted some pics putting the lanyard into that pocket, and I think it would make sense to pull the lanyard string out through that hole rather than top if so doing to keep the whole lanyard from getting lost as well as provide some friction tension.  It also might just be to allow you to get whatever you put into the pocket out more easily if you pushed it too far in...
Standard m75 utons don't seem to have that front pocket, but even on this knife the pocket is so tight that I don't think much would fit there...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:35:16 AM by RSR »

Offline gwvt

« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2016, 04:23:12 PM »
Yeah, it might make sense to have the pin come out of the hole but then I'd want to send it back into the pocket to keep it from catching on things. I did try sending it out the hole but it was a little awkward, so I left it as shown. I will say that it's held in there fairly well, since the loops go pretty far down, as you can see by the raised impressions in the leather. 

Another thing that occurred to me is that the hole and cutout could be a good spot to tie off a lanyard for knife retention. You could even just send the loop through and then send the end through that so you would not need to tie it there. You could probably tie / loop it on, then send it through the hole in the knife handle and then back to the tie-off so you wouldn't need a knot on the knife side. Either way you could still stuff the excess lanyard into the pocket as I did in the photo, just to keep things neat.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:34:52 PM by gwvt »

Offline felix

« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »
RSR - PM SENT, PACKAGE ARRIVED THIS MORNING. THX !!

Interestingly I find the feel of the BON Bayonet better than the UTON knife. UTON should have had the same grips as the BON - IMO
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 06:01:26 PM by felix »
Love to play with fast women, sharp knives & loud guns, if the wife says it's okay....

Offline RSR

« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »
Great -- glad to hear it finally made it to you.

The UTON handle appears to be the standard m75 UTON type material.  My guess is that the softer handle of the BON would be too soft to take abuse if it didn't have all the steel to protect it -- the crossguard, attachment channel, buttplate.  Both are actually very good grips however.  I much prefer both to the harder polymer of the glock field knifes and the ontario bayonets that you see in more common use...

NOTE: I have not tested any of these versus gun solvents or DEET nor do I intend to conduct (potentially) destructive testing, so proceed with caution there if you have in close proximity!!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:12:21 PM by RSR »

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2016, 12:39:49 AM »
RSR got any more left, or are they all gone?

Offline RSR

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2016, 01:31:53 AM »
4 folks and 6 BONs between them are outstanding for the group buy.  If they don't complete purchase by the end of the month, I'm releasing to other folks...  So if you want to hold out, I might be able to offer you and others one of these at the GB rates.  There's a small waitlist currently... 

Regardless, I do have a limited amount for a small increase in price above GB rates to cover my costs.  These are available immediately.  The price on these is less than I was planning to put for Ebay or Gunbroker, and at the lower price you're saving the auction site fees and then some. 

PM me for more info.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:33:43 AM by RSR »

Offline gwvt

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2016, 01:15:29 AM »
I finally had a look at that attachment lug that wasn't extending fully and it looks like either a weak spring or the well was a little deeper than spec. To make an extension for the spring I just snipped off the head with a bit of the shaft of a finish nail of a size that allowed the spring to slip over the shaft and rest on the head inside the lug and it works perfectly now.

Offline gwvt

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »
I mentioned on the UTON AZ thread that I'd found a 60 degree inclusive angle to work well for the UTON knife and the BON bayonet. I did a little shopping to find a portable sharpener to put in the bayo sheath pocket and thought I'd share what I found.

First, a brief primer on blade angles and terminology. When referring to the angle of a knife edge you can refer to the bevel angle, (which is the angle of one side) or inclusive angle (which is the angle of both sides together).

The thinner the angle is, the finer it's going to cut but it will become dull more quickly with use, while a fatter angle is going to be less fine but will hold up to more abuse and so stay sharper longer with use.

In general, an inclusive angle of around 30 degrees would give a pretty fine edge and be used for very fine-bladed knives like a filet knife.
An inclusive angle of around 40 degrees is commonly used for kitchen knives, pocket knives, etc.. and will give an edge that's still fine but will hold up to use better.
Something like an ax, machete or a combat knife - or any knife with a thick spine - will do best with something like a 60 degree inclusive edge. This is still going to cut well but it will hold up to abuse better.

I've had a two-sided oilstone since I was a kid and learned to use it but never got good at keeping a precise angle, so usually I prefer to use a sharpener.

I tried sharpening my UTON and BONs with my Fiskars Axe and Knife Sharpener and found that it gave a good edge, sharp enough to slice paper in the common manner of testing. I'm not surprised since it gives even my splitting ax an edge sharp enough to cut fingers. They go for about 12 bucks at the usual outlets and mine has lasted for years.

That's good so far but I wanted to find a sharpener to stow in the BON sheath pocket and ended up getting a Redi-Edge Tactical Pro Knife Sharpener in a 60 Degree Inclusive Angle. I chose it for the angle, the fact that it's small enough but not too small and the fact that it has a ceramic coating on the back for honing. It also has a groove for sharpening fishing hooks or needles. Plus, it's made in the good-old USA. It goes for about 22 bucks.

It came in today and I tried it out on my second UTON, which had not been sharpened yet. I found that with a little practice it would give the same sort of edge that I got out of the Fiskars. It fits in the pouch with room to spare for a multi-tool or whatever. The only caveat with the Redi-Edge is that it has carbide cutters, rather than the ceramic wheels on the Fiskars, so you'd want to use less pressure and possibly fewer passes since the carbide will remove more material than ceramic.

Here are both with the BON for scale.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:20:32 PM by gwvt »

Offline Froggy

• Shooting in the Czech Republic
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
Dikes RSR !!
BON Bodak is safely at home  ;)
A big thank you for organising this GB !

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
Got mine, great knife (reminds me a bit of a Swedish Mora type knife) and not a bad bayonet to boot.

Thanks RSR, great comms and shipping speed, very happy.  :)

Sven
Manticore Arms