Author Topic: Visiting the CZ Factory?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
Visiting the CZ Factory?
« on: June 25, 2016, 05:06:22 AM »
Today is a family reunion for the Czech side of my family, so I'm taking all ELEVEN (11) of my CZs for show & tell.

I'm also going to wear my CZ Shooting Team shirt.

Last night the wife suggested that maybe we plan a vacation to visit the factory.

So, this morning I searched and I found an old thread from 2008 about visiting the factory and it being off-limits security-wise.

Has anyone here made a trip there?  Where did you go and what did it entail?

The wife and I visited Czechoslovakia back in 1979 and it took 6 months to get a visa to enter the country and many things were off-limits back then.

If you have visited any of the factories (Uhersky Brod, Strakonice or BRNO) or the main store in Prague, did you buy anything to bring back?  Did you have any trouble with customs?  One of my cousins who is a LEO here in the states brought back a rifle from his visit about 10 years ago and auctioned it off at our family reunion.  This was before I even knew about CZ.

I'd like to pick up a CZ92 while there, but I understand that it isn't approved for import into the U.S.

Any information (or links to sources of information) would be helpful.
CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline bang bang

Re: Visiting the CZ Factory?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 12:21:48 PM »
Today is a family reunion for the Czech side of my family, so I'm taking all ELEVEN (11) of my CZs for show & tell.

Just remember, knowledge can be dangerous.  What you have - they may want. 

Has anyone here made a trip there?  Where did you go and what did it entail?

I only looked at driving, but I'm thinking there maybe a train stop close and then either taxi or car.  When i looked at distances a couple years ago, it was a 2 hour drive from Prague and that was by google maps.  As you may know, GM isnt that accurate.  btw, i dont like driving either here or there.

The wife and I visited Czechoslovakia back in 1979 and it took 6 months to get a visa to enter the country and many things were off-limits back then.

i had no problems since they are part of the EU or whats left of it. 

If you have visited any of the factories (Uhersky Brod, Strakonice or BRNO) or the main store in Prague, did you buy anything to bring back?  Did you have any trouble with customs?  One of my cousins who is a LEO here in the states brought back a rifle from his visit about 10 years ago and auctioned it off at our family reunion.  This was before I even knew about CZ.

I've been to the Prague store a couple times.  Last year was my most recent.  I bought and sent back some t-shrits and a book.  Same t-shirts as you can get here too.  I should have bought a couple more books, but i will do so when i make it back.  The books were in CZ but had lots of pics.  Growing up on Playboy, you can get an idea on what the text is about...LOL.   I didnt even think about bringing back anything firearm related.   The world has changed in 10 years.  Im sure i could "import" something, but unless its something really rare, i wouldn't even considering.

I'd like to pick up a CZ92 while there, but I understand that it isn't approved for import into the U.S.

Any information (or links to sources of information) would be helpful.

One of our local dealers sells alot of CZs.  He was able to make it into a CZ tour.  But he told me that it wasnt planned and more like a impromptu.  There was a show where the CZ dealers were attending and he just happened to get invited to go.   

you can google the address for the factory in CZ and look for it on GM.  its hard to miss.

If anything and if you can go to Prague or CZ for that matter, i would jump at it. CZ factory or not.

one other comment.  There is another "western" gun shop near the CZ shop in Prague.  Everytime i tried to go in, it was closed.   

Offline Psyop96

Visiting the CZ Factory?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »
Going by bus or train from Prague? Use the IDOS.CZ website to check schedules and buy tickets. 3.5 to 4+ hour journey. It's doable as a day trip if you start very early in the morning and get the 4:39 pm return train options (back in Prague 8-9 pm). Haven't done it myself but here's the link using a sample date. Don't know what else there is to do in Uhersky Brod but I'm sure there are a few pubs to keep you hydrated
http://t.jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:46:09 PM by Psyop96 »

Offline bang bang

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
if was going to make the trip, i would spend more time in the area and not just the factory.

from my experience so far in Europe, train travel is so nice.  At least for those of us (me) that dont care to sit behind the wheel.

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
Brno (the second city) often gets ignored by visitors to Czechia but it's a pretty and interesting city to visit and Olomouc, further to the north, has two of the prettiest main squares in the country. Lots of good microbrews are now available there and, of course, the Moravian region is known for its wine country. In Sept-Nov, there's the young wine called bur?ak which tastes like citrus juice but can pack a wallop with ABV in the 4-12% and more range as it's still fermenting. Outside the the main cities, it will require some schedule planning to get around by bus or train to get around the smaller towns. Bratislavia and Vienna are just a couple hours away from Brno.

The Alfa Proj store is not far from the downtown area of Brno and, if you want some trigger time, there's the Trigger Service indoor range, just a couple tram stops from the main train station. They have a nice selection of pistols and rifles for rental at a decent price. Which region(s) is the family originally from?

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 05:49:17 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and what to do and where to go.

My maternal grandmother was born in Havrice (a little village just outside Uhersky Brod) and my grandfather was born in Veterov, but later moved to Straznice.

When I visited Czechoslovakia in 1979, we entered the country through Bratislava, drove through Brno, Strazovice, Uhersky Brod, Hododin and finally into Prague.  Prague is a beautiful city!

Leaving the country we went north out of the country to Sebnitz (East Germany) where my wife has relatives.

An update about the show-and-tell a the reunion...some of my cousins, my nephews and  my #1, 2, 4 and 6 brothers got to see and hold a CZ for the first time.  I also donated some CZ decals and a CZ soft pistol case to the bag raffle (reunion is funded through raffles, silent auction and a live auction). 

A good time was had by all.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 07:08:18 AM by rdcinhou, Reason: correcting genealogy information »
CZ24/27/38/40P/45/52, Vzor 50/70,75BΩ,75D Compact,P01/07/09,P10M/S/C/F(9mm,.45), Phantom,SP01 Tactical,Shadow 2 (Blue,Urban Gray), 82/83/85 PreB, 97BE,97BD,97BDE,100,1911A1, 2075D RAMI,452 American,550 Urban Counter Sniper,805 Bren S1,Drake G2,Duo,Z,vz24 8mm Mauser,FK 7.5 BRNO Field Pistol, PSD

Offline johnnymohani

• BANNED
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:28:44 PM »
Can you buy direct from there?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Banned for spamming the board

Offline bang bang

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 07:29:41 PM »
If you do happen to get inside and a tour you have to say so or who you bribed and how much...cuz I'm there.

anything