Author Topic: Filed too much  (Read 1272 times)

cztops

Filed too much
« on: May 01, 2002, 03:06:24 AM »
Is there anyway to add some metal back so the barrel will lockup more tightly?

What do you think of electrical soder? electrical tape? duct tape? other material?

Offline davekoch

Filed too much
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 11:19:56 AM »
Uh oh. Wear did you file too much? The only reliable ways to add more material is to weld it, shim it, or replace it. Depending on where it is either or neither may be possible.

cztops

Filed too much
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 12:38:46 PM »
I over filed the lip on the Kadet adapter where the slide stop goes through under the barrel. I was filing and it didn't fit one 75 so I tried it on another and it is a little loose. I have been using that 75 but am wondering if the loose fit is causing flyers.

I can always file it down some more for the other 75 but was wondering if there is a way to remedy the over filing. What type of welding would be required to put a bead across the lip again?

Offline davekoch

Filed too much
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2002, 09:10:56 PM »
You could try shimming it to see if that's what's causing the flyers. You could probably try cutting a piece of a used brass case and flattening it out in a vice to use as a shim.  If you need thinner, try an auto parts store.

I wouldn't think that that would make that much difference though. The barrel is mounted pretty solidly into the slide. Is the slide pretty loose? Mine is tight enough to require some pressure to slide it on.

As far as welding it, I'd imagine it would be better to just replace the barrel.

Unregistered(d)

Filed too much
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2002, 10:50:27 PM »
Get a package of J B Weld at the hardware or auto parts store.  If you're not familiar with it, it's a twp part epoxy type material with a high powdered metal content.  I have actually used it to repair cracked two cycle engine cases and it never let go.  Just make sure the part is completely grease and oil free.

It just might work and it's certainly cheep enough to try.

cztops

Filed too much
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 02:31:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion! I will check it out.

z537z

Filed too much
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 10:24:07 PM »
Barrels are way too high of a melting point (steel) to sauder anything on there, and using a torch (ie oxy-acetylene) would likely deform the barrel irreparably.

Go with that JB Weld, but melting on some lead tape might just do the trick as a shim.

_z