Author Topic: Just ordered a used CZ 85 from AIM Surplus  (Read 6318 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Just ordered a used CZ 85 from AIM Surplus
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
Got it today.  Pretty dirty.  Not pretty.  But prettier after being cleaned/lubed.  At least in my eyes.

It had a new 16 round magazine in it.  Nice and shiny and clean, compared to the pistol.

The top end was actually pretty clean compared to the frame.  I also took the firing pin and return spring out and cleaned them the firing pin retaining plate and the firing pin channel.  I left the extractor alone (new one, spring and pin on order just in case I need them - but the extractor looks nice and sharp as is).

At first I thought the front and back of the frame had a damaged finish.  But a little 3n1 oil and some 0000 steel wool and a little rubbing took care of what ever that stuff was (very dry cosmoline???)

Picture of the inside of the frame and parts.  Gooey, cruddy, etc.  I gave in and used almost a can of carb. cleaner blasting this crud out of the frame.  Had something cool happen after (second picture).

It was about 100 F and high humidity.   The carb. cleaner cooled the metal down cold enough that moisture condensed out of the air and water beaded up all over the frame.  I sprayed it out at the garage and walked to the house and it was still wet after I laid the frame on the table/old towel.

I finally gave up (temporarily on the barrel.  The patches were still coming out black.  Lot's of Hoppe's #9, lots of brass brush scrubbing and letting it sit a few minutes (while working on something else) between a patching session.  At the end it still looked like this.  It has one bad pit about one inch back from the muzzle.

Now to take it shooting this weekend.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:28:12 PM by M1A4ME »
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 07:57:52 PM »
The new 16 round magazine just has the standard metal floor plate on it.  It fits fine.

With the Plus 2 bottom on the 16 round magazine they will not insert far enough into the pistol to lock in.  So the 16's with the Plus 2's are good in the 75 Compact and the P01, but no good for the CZ 85.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:31:38 PM by M1A4ME »
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 08:12:26 PM »
Well, the Mecgar 18 round magazines won't go in the mag well.  Looks like I'll have to do a little filing inside (I just saw that thread a day or so back) the mag well to get the big mags. to work.

Offline painter

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
Staked in front sight?
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Yeah.  With the barrel out you can see the tennon sticking down into the bushing.

Oh yeah, the number in the little oval at the ejection port is "88".  That's supposed to mean it was made in 1988.

I didn't even notice the rounded trigger guard till after I cleaned it.  I mean, I noticed it, but I didn't really realize it was rounded/different from the compact and the P01.  Kind of cool really.  Should be good for gloves/winter.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 06:16:53 AM »
Left a good picture out.  Light brown dust caked all over the grip screw heads.  It was under the grips as well, when I first took them off.

Middle east dust??

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:32:44 PM by M1A4ME »

Offline painter

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 07:04:48 AM »
Nice score!

I'd call that a true pre-b.

but not the ability.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »
I looked up that thread on modifying the inside rear (top and bottom) of the frame to gain clearance for newer magazines again last night and this morning.

I took the pistol to the garage, took it apart (that was a pain, and another story) and got to filing.  Hard to tell how much metal I removed but it seemed to take longer to file out the top than the bottom, but that could just be a leverage/pressure on the file issue, too.  Harder to press downwards on the end of the file up in the frame.

Funny thing.  I got it wear the 18 round magazines just drop right out.  I sprayed it out with carb cleaner (another can used up) to get the metal filings out and then sprayed it down with Rem-Oil to get some lube back on the metal surfaces.  I started putting parts back on it and the magazines would no longer drop out.  I immediately blamed the magazine break and took it out.  No change.  The magazines would insert just fine, but they wouldn't drop free.  The only had to drop just a small amount to come loose and fall out, but I had to assist it for the first 1/4" or so.  I was sitting there pondering over it when I cocked the hammer and the magazine fell out.  It appears, when the hammer is down, the sear is dragging on the back of the magazine and no allowing it to drop.  As long as the hammer is cocked, the magazines will fall right out.

I don't think that will be an issue since I probably wouldn't drop a magazine unless the pistol ran empty anyway.  Even if I decided to do drop a partial for a full one the hammer would be back and the partial would drop right out with the sear out of the way.  Funny things sometimes.

I also ground, then polished, some gouges out of the feed ramp.  And, in the bright sunlight of the morning I saw about 3 little rust spots on the frame I'd missed yesterday while rubbing the rest of them with 3n1 oil and 0000 steel wool yesterday.  It's looking better all the time.  Hey, that's a line in an old Beatles song.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »
Could it be the mag brake is affected/pushed out by the hammer spring and strut when the hammer is moved?
I can't quite see the brake in your pics,  but can see the strut and Spring close at the top.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:47:09 AM by 1SOW »

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
I thought it was the brake, too.  I even took the brake back out and it still hung up, till I cocked the hammer.

Now that I've come in the housed, pulled the other new mags out of their packaging and loaded them up I have a couple that won't drop free.  Maybe next time I'll remember to take more than one out to the bench when I'm working on a similar problem.  That one magazine dropped out like it was propelled, as to a couple others, but there are two that are slightly bigger (somewhere) and they insert fine and pull out fine, but don't drop on their own.

I'll try to get everything straight before I get serious about having it refinished.  Don't want to be filing, polishing, etc. after it's refinished.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »
I was dry firing it a few minutes ago and I saw the reason for the finish wear on the left side of the hammer.

With the hammer down it contacts the slot in the slide.  If I grab the hammer spur I can rock the hammer left and right on the hammer pin.  No idea if the pin is worn or if the hammer has an oversized hole in it.  When I get the hammer pin I'll figure it out.  I'd like to keep that spur hammer (kind of like a 1911) but I may end up having to replace it.  Can't be good for the sear either, having the hammer flopping around on the pin.  Of course, it could be nice/even/fairly solid when cocked.  I didn't check that

Offline painter

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »
You can buy a replacement spur hammer. Kinda pricey though.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420020011_Spur-Hammer-Pre-B-75

but not the ability.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »
I might have to do that if the hammer is the culprit.  We'll see.  Thanks for the link.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »
Shot it Saturday.  The little range above the garden at home.  Had a first, we found all the 9MM brass.  I always lose a few in the leaves, weeds, and moss.

No pictures of groups.  I didn’t take the phone (it doesn’t work up there, as a phone) and nothing was worth bragging on.  At 15 yds. The groups were about 6 to 7”, mostly to the left of POA but the right height.

I shot 147 grain hollow points, 147 grain lead coated, 100 grain frangible and 115 grain Federal FMJ.

Had one stove pipe, round 3 of the 147 grain lead/coated reloads.  Not sure why, the pistol has to be well broken in after 28 years of use in Israel.

Can’t (completely) blame the groups on the gun.  I had the wrong glasses, it was sort of dark up under the trees and the front sight was pretty hard to see clearly.  And I’m pretty wobbly these days, too.

The new magazines worked, too.

I forgot to grab a magazine of the 115 grain hollow points my P09 shoots so well, so I’ll have to wait for another range trip to try those.

Cleaned it again when I got home.  The barrel is just nasty.  I scrubbed it pretty good, with a 40/45 caliber brush and Hoppe’s #9 and went through several patches.  Black, black, black.

Some of the new parts should be in early in the week, so more disassembly/reassembly time will happen.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 09:56:55 PM »
Forgot to mention, I ordered a CZ 85 owner's manual off e-bay.  Got it Saturday (evidently).

I thought it was pretty cool.  It's got the original warranty/registration card in it.  The serial number for that gun was D5198.  That gun was imported by Magnum Research, in Minneapolis, MN.

The parts breakdown shows a Pre B gun (staked front sight - are their other differences?) but the manual says the gun was manufactured in the Czech Republic.  I guess that means the gun the card/manual left the factory with was made after 1993.